OT- RIP KOBE

Humble_Beast

I'm still collecting my thoughts on this, it's still just a sad and stunning loss. 

The way I see it, Kobe was one of the first superstars of the Internet age. Sure, people had heard of Michael Jordan - but how many people actually saw 63 at v Boston, or the infamous "flu game"? I'd say that was a domestic thing at most, people over seas could only rely on 2nd hand sources.

Kobe on the other hand - you saw his big moments in real time due to the internet. People in China were able to see his 81 point game as it unfolded, people in Europe were able to see him carry his team to an NBA title. He was an international superstar at a time when the sport was getting a foothold internationally. 

The sports world lost a true giant yesterday - it's telling that it's the week of the Super Bowl, and just about nobody in the media is talking about Patrick Mahomes or Nick Boss.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Malik said:

It's amazing that as big as the NFL is here there isn't a single death by any NFL player that would would reverberate in US culture like this.

I'd argue that if - God forbid - something happened to Peyton Manning, domestic response would be similar.

Internationally? Yeah, nobody.

4 hours ago, Kirill said:

This man was the closest thing to God I've ever seen. Normally I don't give two ****s about celebrity deaths but Kobe was a living, walking, breathing legend. Why did it have to be him. Why couldn't it be me?

At the risk of seeming callous, this is over the top.

• Like 11