OT- RIP KOBE

Humble_Beast

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

similar.... but is Peyton like and debatable top 3 NFL player of all time.... like KOBE, LEBRON, MJ

I have no disagreement with this - but social response isn't dictated by this sort of ranking, it's something that's more or less dictated irrationally. 

Derek Jeter and Ichiro are similar players, all things considered - you'd have a different response domestically and internationally if something happened to them.

This is really something that doesn't have precedence, so it's hard to quantify.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I have no disagreement with this - but social response isn't dictated by this sort of ranking, it's something that's more or less dictated irrationally. 

Derek Jeter and Ichiro are similar players, all things considered - you'd have a different response domestically and internationally if something happened to them.

This is really something that doesn't have precedence, so it's hard to quantify.

Yeah the world felt this one much harder than any other athlete in history.

I don't think you'd have the same kind of reaction for anyone other than:

LeBron
Michael Jordan
Shaq

Those are the only people that are universally loved and respected as much as Kobe. Kobe's death will go down as the saddest sports death of all-time.

I'm a teacher in Cleveland. All day today we are going to be watching Kobe highlights in class. Screw learning.

• Like 2

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah the world felt this one much harder than any other athlete in history.

I don't think you'd have the same kind of reaction for anyone other than:

LeBron
Michael Jordan
Shaq

Those are the only people that are universally loved and respected as much as Kobe. Kobe's death will go down as the saddest sports death of all-time.

I'm a teacher in Cleveland. All day today we are going to be watching Kobe highlights in class. Screw learning.

I'd also look at Tiger Woods and either of the Williams sisters drawing this sort of response. Maybe Mike Tyson, but less about his dominance in boxing. 

Another name? John Madden. Not because of his coaching career, but because of the game that bares his name...

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

your political right.. I'm a Southern California kid in the 90s and fell in love with Kobe. I still remember the airballs in Utah when the Rams were in St Louis. He is an American hero, I grew up on KOBE. I might be bias.. I'll never see Kobe hitting game winners with my dad as a 7 and 8 year old ever again. RIP

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Malik said:

It's amazing that as big as the NFL is here there isn't a single death by any NFL player that would would reverberate in US culture like this.

Because basketball is a sport popularized around the Earth more so than American football. A football player really can't ascend to the stature of Kobe can due to that circumstance. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Because basketball is a sport popularized around the Earth more so than American football. A football player really can't ascend to the stature of Kobe can due to that circumstance. 

It’s also a sport played without helmets/pads, so their faces are much more recognizable.

I think that’s a big contributor as well.

It’s also a much more individual sport than football.  One player has a much bigger impact on the game.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd argue that if - God forbid - something happened to Peyton Manning, domestic response would be similar.

Internationally? Yeah, nobody.

All love and respect to Peyton, I don't think there would be a great many NFL players crying and struggling to play if he died. I think we respect his greatness but I don't think many people saw themselves in Peyton or wanted to be like Peyton when they play.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s also a sport played without helmets/pads, so their faces are much more recognizable.

I think that’s a big contributor as well.

It’s also a much more individual sport than football.  One player has a much bigger impact on the game.

Shoes that people can wear anywhere also (unlike cleats) Basketball wins at merchandising. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd also look at Tiger Woods and either of the Williams sisters drawing this sort of response. Maybe Mike Tyson, but less about his dominance in boxing. 

Another name? John Madden. Not because of his coaching career, but because of the game that bares his name...

World would go dark if Curry perished like this too. God forbid.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It kinda does though.

Earnhart, Munson, Thomas, Clemente...

They weren’t stars to the same degree that Kobe was, but there’s a definite recency bias happening here.

This is fair, but I would go back to "Kobe as a star in the internet age" as a qualifier that isn't equitable to the other examples - and this is twofold:

- We got news of Kobe's passing about 15 minutes after the fact. TMZ hit the waves quickly on it, and it was corroborated shortly after the fact by local media in LA, Woj, the NBA, etc. By internet standards, it took a while for a credible source to come forward (I personally don't buy into TMZ Sports, but this is changing my tune).

- Kobe was an international star; Roberto Clemente was revered in Latin American countries, but the rest were largely domestic impacts. Kobe had the highest selling jersey in China, back when Yao Ming was in the league. Think about that for a second; Kobe outpaced a guy FROM China, IN China. That's star power on a global scale.

I don't discount the losses you mentioned, but I try to compare footprints of those guys - Kobe cast a global shadow vs the rest.

• Like 2

Tiger Woods

I don't think Tiger Woods is universally loved like that though.

Either of the Williams sisters

Really? I feel like the impact of that would be significantly smaller than what we just went through.

Mike Tyson 

Tyson is my all-time favorite athlete. I really don't think he'd get anywhere near the same love. Especially at this stage in his life. Kobe was so damn young. Made it that much sadder.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think Tiger Woods is universally loved like that though.

Really? I feel like the impact of that would be significantly smaller than what we just went through.

Tyson is my all-time favorite athlete. I really don't think he'd get anywhere near the same love. Especially at this stage in his life. Kobe was so damn young. Made it that much sadder.

Tyson is only 10 years older than Kobe, he’s still a young man.

He just seems older because he was beating up grown men when he was like 12.