OT- RIP KOBE

Humble_Beast

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is fair, but I would go back to "Kobe as a star in the internet age" as a qualifier that isn't equitable to the other examples - and this is twofold:

- We got news of Kobe's passing about 15 minutes after the fact. TMZ hit the waves quickly on it, and it was corroborated shortly after the fact by local media in LA, Woj, the NBA, etc. By internet standards, it took a while for a credible source to come forward (I personally don't buy into TMZ Sports, but this is changing my tune).

- Kobe was an international star; Roberto Clemente was revered in Latin American countries, but the rest were largely domestic impacts. Kobe had the highest selling jersey in China, back when Yao Ming was in the league. Think about that for a second; Kobe outpaced a guy FROM China, IN China. That's star power on a global scale.

I don't discount the losses you mentioned, but I try to compare footprints of those guys - Kobe cast a global shadow vs the rest.

Really good post.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tyson is only 10 years older than Kobe, he’s still a young man.

I should have said: "Tyson is so much further removed from his 'playing days' compared to Kobe."

It feels like Kobe JUST retired. Tyson has been out of the limelight for a long time now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think Tiger Woods is universally loved like that though.

I think he is - internationally, he was revered to a lot of South Asian countries. His recent comeback was front page news, that's a testament to his star power. Nobody cared about golf until he got here, then people didn't care about golf when he vanished. Once he won again, people paid attention again.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Really? I feel like the impact of that would be significantly smaller than what we just went through.

Venus, probably not. Serena? Absolutely. She's the first athlete you could reasonably state could compete against her male counterparts. Could she beat Nadal or Federer? I don't really know, which is a LOT more than I can say against any other female athlete vs their male counterpart.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tyson is my all-time favorite athlete. I really don't think he'd get anywhere near the same love. Especially at this stage in his life. Kobe was so damn young. Made it that much sadder.

I can agree to this.

I'll clarify - I don't necessarily say these people would be equal, but it's the closest we'll see when really thinking about it.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It kinda does though.

Earnhart, Munson, Thomas, Clemente...

That Earnhart one was crazy. I was in Trinidad at a restaurant. And people broke down crying. I still remember this woman a table away, named Pam (for some reason I remember that). That broke down hysterical screaming and crying and her husband sitting there trembling.

That death hit everywhere theres a love for racing hard. And still lingers today.

This kobe thing.. Give it its 15 mins of fame and it will pass.

• Like 1

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

That Earnhart one was crazy. I was in Trinidad at a restaurant. And people broke down crying. I still remember this woman a table away, named Pam (for some reason I remember that). That broke down hysterical screaming and crying and her husband sitting there trembling.

That death hit everywhere theres a love for racing hard. And still lingers today.

You had me until that last line... 😬 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Seriously man? So because you didn’t have a personal experience involving his death like you did Earnhardt you minimize its impact for others? Pretty sick of you tbh.

• Like 2

Another thing I hope we take away from this as a society, is the media needs to get the facts before rushing into out in an effort to be first.

It was all 4 girls..... 5 people.... Rick Fox... BBC using footage of LeBron thinking it was Kobe... 🤦‍♂️ 

This kind of ish can’t happen just to be “first”.

• Like 4

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing I hope we take away from this as a society, is the media needs to get the facts before rushing into out in an effort to be first.

It was all 4 girls..... 5 people.... Rick Fox... BBC using footage of LeBron thinking it was Kobe... 🤦‍♂️ 

This kind of ish can’t happen just to be “first”.

...and TMZ broke the story before the BRYANT FAMILY found out. They read the headline online with everyone else. Disgraceful.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You had me until that last line... 😬 

No. Its just that its ramped up so hard with BBall fans because of social media and such. That it will burn out quicker.

With Earnhart. You had tv, then had to wait for the news that night or newspaper the next day in most places. It didnt burn like wildfire right off the bat, it kept ramping up and lingering cause of that and all the safety features addressed due to it.

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Venus, probably not. Serena? Absolutely. She's the first athlete you could reasonably state could compete against her male counterparts. Could she beat Nadal or Federer? I don't really know, which is a LOT more than I can say against any other female athlete vs their male counterpart.

I agree that she's a beast, but I highly doubt people would feel this kind of loss over it. Kobe was a freaking HERO to so many people. He is iconic. Serena Williams is just an awesome tennis player.

• Like 1