The Reality of the Free Agent Budget

WindyCity

We know that Pace likes to go into the draft without glaring holes on the roster, which means he has a lot of work to do on a tight budget. This is assuming that ILB is addressed in house.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

To go into the draft without a glaring hole this is the list

• Like 1

Now you have to split 20-25 million between theses spots and you are not left with a lot per player. It may be a multiple tier 2-3 player offseason to fill the obvious needs.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

Assuming you have 25 million for Free Agency that do you budget per spot?

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

QB2 - 2 million or less, AJ McCarron/Trevor Siemian level guy.
RG - 6-7 million, Austin Blythe level
OT3 - 1 million, retain Lucas
TE - 10 million, Hunter Henry
OLB3 - 1 million, Cassius Marsh, Sam Acho level
SS - 2 million, Retain Deon Bush
CB3-4 - Vet min, I think we have our top 4 on the roster.

I think the Bears can get to 50 million in a total budget for the offseason. That is with extending Robinson, Floyd and Patterson and making the obvious cuts we have discussed.

50 million
-5 draft
-2-3 emergency fund
-17-20 re-signings, which does not go far
-22-25 free agency

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They simply cannot afford to sign a starting OT.

IMO they can’t afford not to. They should make room. 

Floyd, Prince have to go.  Bears simply can’t go deep in playoffs with Leno and Massie as starting OTs. 

What will be will be though.  

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Kevin Pierre-Louis: 3
Deon Bush: 3
RRH: 3.5

1 year deals at roughly 1 million

Brent Urban
DHC
Scales
Coward
Lucas
Irving

Holtz [610k]

You can spend 16 million pretty quick on depth guys and just keeping a couple of your own free agents.

Outside of Scales and maybe DHC you’re only bringing most of those $1M guys to the 53-man roster though if you don’t address the needs in the draft. Lucas, Holtz, Irving and Urban aren’t likely here in September if we’re drafting their positions in April. 

Also, $3M for Bush? HHCD got 1/$3M last year and has an actual resume. Bush should get less. That’s nitpicking though to your larger point with which I agree.

The true art of FA after days 1 and 2 isn’t in who you sign but rather when you sign them. Deon Bush might get $3.5M if you sign him day 1 or 2 but if you’re signing him the 2nd week of April it’s probably at half that rate. I’m sure everyone remembers all of the projection in here last offseason for keeping Aaron Lynch for like 3/12 with half or more guaranteed and he ended up signing for 1/1.5.

I think a 2020-specific circumstance is noteworthy too especially as it pertains to less established guys in that without a CBA beyond 2020 and at least the potential for a lockout/strike in 2021 some of these guys who haven’t “made it” may opt for a lesser AAV in exchange for some kind of guarantee to insulate them financially against a work stoppage. Top FA are getting life changing money now if they haven’t had it already but for a fringe starter and even more so a fringe roster guy every dollar matters that much more. The longer the CBA is a question mark the more likely we are I think to see team-friendly deals that give some of the guys on the periphery a guaranteed check in 2020 even if a little less than desired ahead of a potential 2021 without one. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Outside of Scales and maybe DHC you’re only bringing most of those $1M guys to the 53-man roster though if you don’t address the needs in the draft. Lucas, Holtz, Irving and Urban aren’t likely here in September if we’re drafting their positions in April. 

Also, $3M for Bush? HHCD got 1/$3M last year and has an actual resume. Bush should get less. That’s nitpicking though to your larger point with which I agree.

The true art of FA after days 1 and 2 isn’t in who you sign but rather when you sign them. Deon Bush might get $3.5M if you sign him day 1 or 2 but if you’re signing him the 2nd week of April it’s probably at half that rate. I’m sure everyone remembers all of the projection in here last offseason for keeping Aaron Lynch for like 3/12 with half or more guaranteed and he ended up signing for 1/1.5.

I think a 2020-specific circumstance is noteworthy too especially as it pertains to less established guys in that without a CBA beyond 2020 and at least the potential for a lockout/strike in 2021 some of these guys who haven’t “made it” may opt for a lesser AAV in exchange for some kind of guarantee to insulate them financially against a work stoppage. Top FA are getting life changing money now if they haven’t had it already but for a fringe starter and even more so a fringe roster guy every dollar matters that much more. The longer the CBA is a question mark the more likely we are I think to see team-friendly deals that give some of the guys on the periphery a guaranteed check in 2020 even if a little less than desired ahead of a potential 2021 without one. 

I do not expect most of those guys to make the team, but they will count against the cap through free agency and the draft.

The lack of CBA also screws the Bears as they cannot backload deals nearly as much.

I do not think Bush gets the full 3 millions, but HHCD was a unique case who took below market money, Bush my guess signs a 2-4 or 2-5 deal to be the presumptive starter at SS. I estimated a little high for each guy.

But if we want to address 6-7 positional needs in free agency we need to chance our per/player expectation.

56 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not expect most of those guys to make the team, but they will count against the cap through free agency and the draft.

The lack of CBA also screws the Bears as they cannot backload deals nearly as much.

I do not think Bush gets the full 3 millions, but HHCD was a unique case who took below market money, Bush my guess signs a 2-4 or 2-5 deal to be the presumptive starter at SS. I estimated a little high for each guy.

But if we want to address 6-7 positional needs in free agency we need to chance our per/player expectation.

I don't think Bush gets that much.  He has not proven anything in his 4 years in the NFL other than being a depth and special teams piece.

There are times where he has looked lost in coverage.  I wouldn't feel absolutely confident going into next season with him as a starter.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Bush gets that much.  He has not proven anything in his 4 years in the NFL other than being a depth and special teams piece.

There are times where he has looked lost in coverage.  I wouldn't feel absolutely confident going into next season with him as a starter.

Okay, pay him 1.5 million and add 1.5 million to the pot. Still leaves you pretty light when you need to re-sign 10 guys and sign 6-7 contributing free agents.

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think it's more realistic to sign a starting guard, swing tackle, and then hopefully land a good OT in rd 2 along with a TE.

They keep bringing in FA guards and they all turn out average at best and many are bad.