Steelers - Vikings Ups/Downs

MOSteelers56

You guys remember the announcers talking during the game about last week Mitchell was sitting for a while while Wilcox and maybe 1 other guy were playing instead?  They were insinuating that Mitchell was on thin ice.  Hopefully they're right.  I've been calling for Mitchell to be cut and replaced for a few years now.  Never been a fan at all of him or his playing style.  Too stupid to play team ball, just wants to go for the kill shot.  That is basically illegal now, so about the only thing he's good for is a penalty.  

3 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

You guys remember the announcers talking during the game about last week Mitchell was sitting for a while while Wilcox and maybe 1 other guy were playing instead?  They were insinuating that Mitchell was on thin ice.  Hopefully they're right.  I've been calling for Mitchell to be cut and replaced for a few years now.  Never been a fan at all of him or his playing style.  Too stupid to play team ball, just wants to go for the kill shot.  That is basically illegal now, so about the only thing he's good for is a penalty.  

I gave Mitchell a shot when we signed him, but I remember alot of Steeler fans were excited about signing him and I never understood that.     He had one good year in Carolina that was largely due to having a ton of talent around him and him just having a career year at the same time.

His first 2 years here werent too bad, I guess....but he was never more than average.   Now, he is clearly a below average starter that really needs to be replaced.   Unfortunately, safety has because a premium position and thats easier said than done.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I gave Mitchell a shot when we signed him, but I remember alot of Steeler fans were excited about signing him and I never understood that.     He had one good year in Carolina that was largely due to having a ton of talent around him and him just having a career year at the same time.

His first 2 years here werent too bad, I guess....but he was never more than average.   Now, he is clearly a below average starter that really needs to be replaced.   Unfortunately, safety has because a premium position and thats easier said than done.

Do you think Vaccaro is more of the same? Any interest?

Up

Victory (a bit underwhelming, but, much better than a loss)

Downs

Injury to Watt

Ridiculous celebrations (I am not opposed to spontaneous outbursts of enthusiasm and excitement, but the choreographed nonsense is embarrassing.  I prolly come of as an old curmudgeon, but, until they beat the Patriots, they should not be celebrating anything)

AV's play - I am a big fan of his.  I consider him an actual hero.  But, I think he lacks a nasty temper.  I'd love to see him get really aggressive on run blocking.

Ben forcing the ball deep when easy targets are in the middle

14 hours ago, warfelg said:

Personally I think if we had a real FS back there Haden would play better and Burns wouldn't be so grabby. 

I suspect its effecting Davis too because he looks scatterbrained back there as to what to do. 

I cant back this up, but I've heard rumors of Mitchell not exactly being the best communicator on the field and often gets terminology wrong. I really want to see Gay back there because I heard the opposite about him. He really communicates well and helps guys get in the right spot. I think his propensity to play the ball first hit second is what we need. 

I agree. Gay seems like he would be a natural at FS at this point in his career.  He plays zone far better than man, he can hit and has some range that is better suited to playing center field than matched up on slot WR's or TE's.  The Steelers have played with the two SS for years now with troy and Ryan and now they are trying to do it with Mitchell and Davis.

I don't think the specifically look at one as a FA and the other as a SS. Much like in the 3-4 for use one OLB isn't the always rush and the other always drops. 

I think they look at it as two balanced safeties safeties who can cover and play the box. 

Unfortuantely you can't play like that in the NFL anymore. The best bet is to have a box/cover safety and a CF safety. That way you have the TE covered no matter what, he's like an extra LB, and you still have the deep covered. The easy way to explain is in nickel VWill comes off, Davis plays in the box next to Shazier, Hilton comes in as the slot. You still got Watt-Heyward-Hargrave-Tuitt-Dupree on the line. Personally I'm still a little against that (I think it still gets gashed in the run because of Davis), but it's not the worst. 

Personally knowing their heir want to interchange, its why I'm watching Marcus Allen from PSU so much. He's such a well rounded safety, reminds me of Landon Collins or Eric Berry in that he plays the box and the hit so well, but is still really good in coverage and playing the deep zone too. 

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Do you think Vaccaro is more of the same? Any interest?

Vaccaro is definitely the same type of safety, but I would take him over Mitchell....wont happen though.   

IMO, the Steelers really need to reevaluate what they value in a safety.    For years, I remember we seemed to overvalue physical CBs even if was at the expense of sacrificing some coverage skills, and I made my feelings quite clear over the years about how stupid that was.    Well, they seemed to have opened their eyes regarding CBs, but I still feel like they overlooked coverage skills at safety and value enforcers way too much.    I dont mind enforcers in the secondary...they can be really valuable.     However, Id much rather have a safety who is a good centerfielder and a sure tackler than someone who can deliver a viscous hit from time to time.   

I kind of want them to banish the go route from the playbook for a week or two. I think any opponent would be shocked. Even if you want to run more deep intermediate patterns. The Bryant TD was a thing of beauty. Teams look shocked whenever the Steelers actually ask their WR's to cut inside after 10 yards.

Roethlisberger was definitely a down for me for that second quarter. There are too many weapons on this offense to where there's no need to force the ball to anyone. Ever. The coaching staff needs to learn the same thing with Bell at times.

Big down to the 3-6 goal line play action Haley dialed up that killed a nice drive. I don't know why he thought that was a good idea.

Just rewatched the game.  Here's my 11th hour ups/downs/hot & cold:

Up:

Jumped on them early.  Went up 14-0 in the first 16+ minutes.  Recipe for a win.  

Ben - good outing, got a man to jump on 4th down to get a fresh set of downs, Hit a couple deep balls and missed some long throws but efficient enough to get the win, got JuJu, Bryant, AB, & Rogers the ball with success.

Martavis showing he's still a great player

Cam Heyward - one man wrecking crew

Shazier played with a lot energy and was fast & violent

Matakevich sniffed out the fake punt and made a great PD

Connor looked very good on his one carry

Burns looked good both covering and tackling

Watt before the injury had a batted pass and got pressure

VW made a lot of plays

Boz

Hot & Cold:

Mitchell - made a couple nice plays and also missed a tackle near the goal line

Dupree - got the sack and some good pressures - looked explosive coming off the edge, but also lost leverage when coming in too high.  His technique is poor at times and he looks awkward.

JuJu - had a TD, a couple good blocks (one was tremendous, Wardesque) and another good catch & run.  Did have the easy drop also. 

OL run blocking & Bell looked better than they did against Cleveland.  Not back to 2016 form, but a promising step forward.   Bell didn't look like where he was last year, just not sharp with his decision making and cuts yet  Encouraging part, they got better as the game wore on.  Foster made some tremendous pulling blocks to pop bell free. 

Rogers looked good at WR but made some questionable decisions at PR

Down:

Jesse James blocking & holding penalty

LT position - AV & Hubbard were sub-par.  Initially I was down on Foster for his pass pro, but after rewatching I saw that he was trying to block his man and the LT's man too

Tomlin going for 2 on the first TD.  You've got a great kicker, just take the point. 

Injuries to Watt & Gilbert

Archived