Packers hiring former MN Jerry Gray

Pugger

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No.  I compared morons who say a player is cooked when they’re under 30 years old at the time of calling them cooked.  

Nice to resort to  personal insults because you can't back up some obtuse claim. You clearly compared the two situations/ players.

What about Xavier's play the past 2 years indicates he isn't cooked? Go in the Vikings forum and see what they tell you about him. 

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think Minnesota decided to let Gray due to the regression/lack of progression of our defensive backfield (with the exception of Anthony Harris). It didn't help that Hughes was coming back from a torn ACL either.

This isn't a bad hire, but maybe not a great one either. Can't blame LaFleur trying to catch up to the best coach in the NFC North though!

On the surface...did the Vikings even beat the Lions this year?  I think they did, twice.  Which would put Zimmer's record at 2-4 within the division after failing to beat the Bears or Packers.

And...I think that the Vikings had the most talent in the division.  I think a strong argument can be made that Zimmer's team underachieved last year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Nice to resort to  personal insults because you can't back up some obtuse claim. You clearly compared the two situations/ players.

What about Xavier's play the past 2 years indicates he isn't cooked? Go in the Vikings forum and see what they tell you about him. 

I've been there and been told that he has regressed big time.  And not worth his current contract.

I think, though, he does have value as a third corner or possible safety.  I think that he is in fact, "cooked" as far as an elite starting corner.  But I don't think he is "cooked" in terms of contributing to a team.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think Minnesota decided to let Gray due to the regression/lack of progression of our defensive backfield (with the exception of Anthony Harris). It didn't help that Hughes was coming back from a torn ACL either.

This isn't a bad hire, but maybe not a great one either. Can't blame LaFleur trying to catch up to the best coach in the NFC North though!

I'm always impressed at how subtle you throw a jab.  I bet you were the kid who neatly placed his school papers in a folder before putting them in your backpack?  Me - I was the kid who crammed his homework into the backpack without the folder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

On the surface...did the Vikings even beat the Lions this year?  I think they did, twice.  Which would put Zimmer's record at 2-4 within the division after failing to beat the Bears or Packers.

And...I think that the Vikings had the most talent in the division.  I think a strong argument can be made that Zimmer's team underachieved last year.

In his defense we had all of our starters sitting for the final Bears game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm always impressed at how subtle you throw a jab.  I bet you were the kid who neatly placed his school papers in a folder before putting them in your backpack?  Me - I was the kid who crammed his homework into the backpack without the folder.

To no ones surprise, Bigfoot is an uncivilized savage.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Xavier Rhodes had a CMP% of 84% against him last year.  Kevin King was 60%.  That's night and day.

Yeah, granted, I get it.  The man isn’t 30 yet and let’s not act like the NFL isn’t full of “washed” or “cooked” players who come back strong on a second team.  This isn’t a 14 million dollar gamble, it’s more like a 4 million dollar gamble.  

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, granted, I get it.  The man isn’t 30 yet and let’s not act like the NFL isn’t full of “washed” or “cooked” players who come back strong on a second team.  This isn’t a 14 million dollar gamble, it’s more like a 4 million dollar gamble.  

We just hired the same coach under which he achieved a completion against of 84%. 
You think a new address is gonna change that?

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Sorry you’re sensitive.  I have never denied Rhodes is playing poorly.  If you can’t understand the concept of sometimes players play like crap only to play better for the next team, you really ought not respond.

I really don’t understand how you’re missing this point.  We thought Tramon Williams was cooked or washed or whatever your word for it was.  Twice.  Dude’s 57 years old and just had a strong season.  

Rhodes is a former all-pro player who is having two straight bad years.  Granted.  Fortunately for my point, there are a lot of cases of bad performances from players who rebound on another team.  

Charles Woodson and Xavier Rhodes are not in the same category.  The disparity between their talent at this point in their careers is matched only by the disparity in the contracts they will demand.  We paid premium money to sign Woodson, who was a premium talent.  We could sign Rhodes to a modest salary and get a modest return on that salary.

For a team that just had 35 or 36 year old Tramon Williams turn in a strong season, I would expect more people to understand the point I’m making here.

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

We just hired the same coach under which he achieved a completion against of 84%. 
You think a new address is gonna change that?

Do I think a new address is gonna change that?

Tough to answer, so I’ll say not necessarily.  As I explained to Arthur, yes, I think it’s worth the risk.  The same way the Lions and Bears and Vikings often take a chance on our players like Sitton, Lang, Daniels, etc.  

It is a low risk, high reward type signing that simultaneously replaces Tramon Williams and offers depth at the position with the chance of giving us a really strong defensive back at minimal cap allotment and virtually no signing bonus most likely.

Rhodes is still a human being.  As long as he is still a human, I think the concept of a change of employment could benefit him, yes.  It’s no different from me getting burnt out at one job, getting a new job and performing well at that job.  Yes, I might hate the new job just as much, but that’s rarely happened.

I hope I have effectively explained my position.  Because the notion that a free agent who played poorly only to play well on his next team should not be so foreign to football fans.

42 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Do I think a new address is gonna change that? Tough to answer, so I’ll say not necessarily.  As I explained to Arthur, yes, I think it’s worth the risk.  The same way the Lions and Bears and Vikings often take a chance on our players like Sitton, Lang, Daniels, etc.  It is a low risk, high reward type signing that simultaneously replaces Tramon Williams and offers depth at the position with the chance of giving us a really strong defensive back at minimal cap allotment and virtually no signing bonus most likely

Alright. Thats fine. It wasnt an accusation that needed defending. Just a question.

Apparently he had a pretty bad year. Could that change? Sure. Will it? Maybe...maybe not.
These players (Sitton, Lang, Daniels) might not fit the mold your making however as I dont believe any of them were as cheap as you feel Rhodes would be and neither had the record of success at their "new address" you feel could occur here.

Again - dont know one way or the other - but CWs 84% input gives me pause to think.
We'll see.....but I guess his "new boss same as the old boss" is gonna have a fair amount of input.

Edited by Leader

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Lets go to the scorecard!

MLF 2
Zim zip
:)

To answer you and another poster, I think GB overachieved majorly this year (look at the point differential) and Minnesota slightly underachieved (I had them as an 11-5 team and they likely do that if they didn't bench starters week 17).

It'll be interesting to see if GB can sustain 'winning ugly' because if history shows us anything, that usually doesn't happen.

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

To answer you and another poster, I think GB overachieved majorly this year (look at the point differential) and Minnesota slightly underachieved (I had them as an 11-5 team and they likely do that if they didn't bench starters week 17). It'll be interesting to see if GB can sustain 'winning ugly' because if history shows us anything, that usually doesn't happen.

GB played unevenly - thats certain. Whats also certain is the 2019 head to head results put MLF ahead out of the gate. He got you this year. Next year? I'll worry about that a few months from now :)

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Guy who he swept in his first season? Are you as bitter as Zimmer?

Image result for matt lafleur mike zimmer