Bill O'Brien officially promoted to Houston Texans GM

Drained

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

While true, being an NFL team in the 4th biggest city and 8th biggest market means the money is going to come in pretty much no matter what.

I get that. You get that.

Cal, on the other hand - he probably thinks it's because he's such a savvy business person who can business better than everyone else. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I think he lost Watson in that playoff game. Bob wanting to punt down 17 was the final straw I think. Watson has had enough 

The problem is Watson is under team control for 4 more season (final year rookie deal, 5th year option, tag, tag) 

Yeah sucks for Watson. I doubt O'Brien makes it that long though. 

Edited by PapaShogun

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I think he lost Watson in that playoff game. Bob wanting to punt down 17 was the final straw I think. Watson has had enough 

The problem is Watson is under team control for 4 more season (final year rookie deal, 5th year option, tag, tag) 

Thing is - immediately after the KC game, Watson used some pretty strong language in defending BoB:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871060-deshaun-watson-defends-bill-obrien-after-loss-vs-chiefs-theres-no-doubt

"You might have doubt, but there's no doubt," Watson told reporters after the game. "I love that man, I'm gonna play hard for that man"

That isn't being savvy around the media and deflecting a response to save grace with somebody - that's as strong an endorsement as you'll find in the league. Love is a very strong word, there's really nowhere else to go from there - and Watson knows this, even if he's speaking off the cuff.

I've never been one of those "well, he's a pro athlete so he knows better than Joe Internet" types but there's something to be said here. You can take the opinion of every single Texans fan in the world, and it still doesn't hold any sort of weight against the opinion of the franchise QB. You do what you have to do to keep Watson happy, even if you cringe at the thought of BoB as the HC/GM for an indefinite amount of time.

If Watson loves this man, you keep this man. Full stop, regardless of how I may feel.

I mean, when you think about how group psychology works, it's not that hard to grok out why Watson would feel that way. If you as a team failed, what can I do to do better? The hardest part in sports is recognizing when there's nothing you can do to get better, because that goes against everything you've ever been taught.

Julio Jones was defending Dan Quinn quite ferociously during the 1-7 run, even when literally everyone in and outside of Atlanta knows the dude isn't a good head coach - and all empirical data points to the fact that Quinn won't ever be successful. But that didn't stop him from coming pretty close to saying that if you didn't like him as a coach, you don't know anything. Sometimes, being a voice in the room is a detriment to your judgment, as bizarre as that can sound. Coaches that don't win a championship within the first five years on the job basically never win a championship. So that's a pretty clear indicator that if you don't win early, you need to go.

But if you're sitting in the room where decisions get made, you've put your blood, sweat and tears on the line to win with your teammates and your coach. To point fingers and say that this one guy is the reason we're bad goes against what you're taught as far as "buying in" to a team means. So even when it's the right conclusion, I'm not surprised that someone like Watson is defending BOB. Someone in his position isn't going to be rational, that's what calmer heads are supposed to do. And if ownership doesn't want to take on that role... well, you have what you have.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

The most frustrating thing with Houston is not only do they have a great talent at QB, but BOB's inability to make it past the 2nd round will most likely be deflected onto Watson - giving him a choker label that he doesn't really deserve. I mean, smart people will know it's BOB, but anyone that wants to pretend like he's not the issue can just twist a narrative that Watson is really just a gutless choker and that BOB needs a real QB who can perform in the clutch.

I wouldn't be shocked if this was the story BOB uses to ownership in about 6-7 years from now.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I mean, when you think about how group psychology works, it's not that hard to grok out why Watson would feel that way. If you as a team failed, what can I do to do better? The hardest part in sports is recognizing when there's nothing you can do to get better, because that goes against everything you've ever been taught

I can agree with everything you posted here - and while it's something that Watson feels, it's not something I agree with (on the contrary - I could not disagree more with Watson. When Watson says "You may have doubt" he's speaking to me, and I absolutely have doubt - no "may" required). 

My point was that the opinion of Watson - right, wrong or indifferent - will always outweigh what my opinion is on the matter. I'm not the guy throwing for 4,000 and 20+ TDs. I'm the guy watching the guy throwing for 4,000/20+ and thinking "If only he could see past his own muddled view and realize he should be throwing for 40+ TDs..."

Just now, Broncofan said:

My theory on Watson's support for BoB continuing as HC is that Watson has Stockholm Syndrome.

Very possible. Not going to deny this for a second. The man is physically beaten... it could be like when Ramsey Bolton tortured Theon Greyjoy so horribly that Greyjoy called himself Reek and subjected himself to Bolton in about every possible way.

Deshaun Watson... is Reek. That's really the takeaway from this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

So whats the HOU game plan here? They think they're going full Belichick with this move?

Pretty much, yup. BoB gets the headlines, but I actually think a major architect to this mess is Jack Easterby: a former team chaplain for KC, then a "character coach" for New England, and now in Houston as the EVP/Director of Football Operations following the moves yesterday. It was always assumed that Easterby is the right hand man for BoB, and the two promotions pretty much solidify this as such.

Easterby is widely considered the guy at the center of the tampering claims from New England during the whole Nick Caserio scandal. He's really got no football experience in a coaching or business perspective - all accounts have him as a good "pep talk" sort of guy, that's all he really brings to the table.

And now... he's arguably the 2nd most powerful person in the Texans organization.

*Shrug*

Anyone got any trash cans and cameras I could borrow? That got Hinch and Lunhow fired... might work in this situation, too.

• Like 2