Bears sign CB Tre Roberson (CFL)

WindyCity

Calgary CB Tre Roberson, thought to be the top CFL free agent this year, will sign with the Chicago Bears, per a league source. Roberson chose the Bears over nine other offers. Bears are expected to give Roberson the largest CFL-to-NFL compensation since Miami signed Cameron Wake

• Like 1

Is this "official" confirmation that Prince is gone, then?  Can't imagine they'd do :

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Bears are expected to give Roberson the largest CFL-to-NFL compensation since Miami signed Cameron Wake

unless they where freeing up other money.

40 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Is this "official" confirmation that Prince is gone, then?  Can't imagine they'd do :

unless they where freeing up other money.

I think Cam got something like 350k or something... I don't think this necessarily means Amukamara is gone, but I was of the opinion he wasn't going to be on the roster next season anyway.

6’0” corner with 7 INT and 2 TD last year? I’m not gonna say he’s a clear replacement for Prince because the CFL isn’t the NFL but it’s no futures contract to a practice squad guy either. If the expectation is that Toliver fills Prince’s role (which may well be the case) I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that Roberson assumes Toliver’s 2019 role with an opportunity to push for more. 

Nice to see a move at the position regardless. 

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He's nothing more than another guy being brought in as an experiment. He'll be lucky to have a job in August.

I will disagree with this. He was pretty highly sought after with 9 other teams being interested and was almost the defensive mvp for the CFL. Now I'm not saying he is going to be a pro bowler but I'll be incredibly surprised if he isn't on the team come August.

• Like 2

He is a very good player. The reason he was in Canada is because he was switching positions. He was one of the best defensive players in the league in Canada.

I think he is coming in to compete with Tolliver at CB2 so they can move on from Prince and move that money to the offense.

Personally, I love the signing. You are going to be hard pressed to find a player with more upside and potential in free agency for 2 million/season.

• Like 3

My first though upon reading the title was "they signed a guy with a CFL injury?"

From the little bit of info out there he seems pretty good, and I like the novel way of plugging the hole at CB before it's open.  SIgh, Pace is so good at valuing the lower level players, too bad he missed on the QB!