Highsmith & Wolf are OUT

zelbell

This is where I dont understand analytics. Depodesta went on a media tour 2 weeks ago saying that analytics are just a tool we want to use to gather data to help us make the right moves with the draft, FA, cap, roster, ect. He downplayed it like it was just something they look at like everyother team in the NFL uses.

Then 2 weeks later you fine out every traditional football guy in the entire organization is gone because of it. If analytics were blown out of proportion as Depodesta mentioned, why all of the crazy turnover with football guys.

Also, if every other team like the Ravens for example do the exact same stuff--why is it that we dont see other teams FOs get turned over every year?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Then 2 weeks later you fine out every traditional football guy in the entire organization is gone because of it. If analytics were blown out of proportion as Depodesta mentioned, why all of the crazy turnover with football guys.

Because our FO was bloated. As somebody pointed out on twitter our pro personnel department was listed as having 30+ guys where most teams (including the good ones) run around 20. We're just mad because it's the guys whose names we knew getting canned. But it makes total sense. Alonzo was openly seeking other jobs a month ago and Wolf is notoriously hard to work with/needs people he already knows to integrate with. Neither made much sense in a new leadership FO.

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Also, if every other team like the Ravens for example do the exact same stuff--why is it that we dont see other teams FOs get turned over every year?

... This is a joke question right? It's because the Ravens have continuity. They're all already on the same page. They don't need to reboot to get everyone on the same page because they've been on that same page for years now. (Plus, they actually do make minor tweaks most offseasons. It just doesn't get covered like ours do because, again, they win and have continuity in the overall structure so no one cares.)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Because our FO was bloated. As somebody pointed out on twitter our pro personnel department was listed as having 30+ guys where most teams (including the good ones) run around 20. We're just mad because it's the guys whose names we knew getting canned. But it makes total sense. Alonzo was openly seeking other jobs a month ago and Wolf is notoriously hard to work with/needs people he already knows to integrate with. Neither made much sense in a new leadership FO.

Yep.

6 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

... This is a joke question right? It's because the Ravens have continuity. They're all already on the same page. They don't need to reboot to get everyone on the same page because they've been on that same page for years now. (Plus, they actually do make minor tweaks most offseasons. It just doesn't get covered like ours do because, again, they win and have continuity in the overall structure so no one cares.)

😂 yeah man.

18 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

So your telling me the Ravens were able to completely do a 180 in philosophy in the FO and how they play on the field and not a single 'football guy' had a issue with it? Thats my question, why are the Browns unable to get their 'football guys' to buy in to a new philosophy and it ends in a mass purge of "screw this I quit" but every other team does it and its '"yeah okay lets do it"

Thats the reason I think that the Browns are doing something completely different analytic wise that other teams are not.

Im not buying that just because they have continuity that not a single FO person in the Ravens or any other NFL organization has stood up and went the way of Alonzo Highsmith

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

So your telling me the Ravens were able to completely do a 180 in philosophy in the FO and how they play on the field and not a single 'football guy' had a issue with it? Thats my question, why are the Browns unable to get their 'football guys' to buy in to a new philosophy and it ends in a mass purge of "screw this I quit" but every other team does it and its '"yeah okay lets do it"

Jinmy is happy to give people two years paid vacation?

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats the reason I think that the Browns are doing something completely different analytic wise that other teams are not.

Im not buying that just because they have continuity that not a single FO person in the Ravens or any other NFL organization has stood up and went the way of Alonzo Highsmith

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Gotta admit, I have no clue what 180 you're talking about.

Do you mean with Lamar's rushing? Because that's not a "180 in philosophy" from the FO. The FO has always been aligned around "get the best players", the people who had to do a 180 there were the offensive coaches. Which it seems they were happy to do after years of way post-peak Flacco. Good FO's aren't aligned around "I pick players for X system" they're aligned around "I pick the best players possible with an understanding of my coaching staff's strengths and abilities." So with their FO and coaching continuity, they can make year to year adjustments without having to blow stuff up because they have the organizational trust in place to make those shifts.

So far we know of no "mass purge", we have the senior leadership leaving because new senior leadership has been hired. There aren't many jobs where you take a new CEO type role but are expected to keep the guys who you are being hired to replace as your key confidants. If they're hiring you, it's because they are unhappy with the previous leadership.

There are sources of concern with this off-season (truckstop Jimmy first and foremost, but also inexperience of key cogs, delays in hiring, etc.), I don't think the previous senior leadership of the FO leaving is one of them. In fact, I think the only surprising thing is that it wasn't done as soon as Dorsey was fired (and surprising in a good way, might as well give the new guy all the options.)

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is where I dont understand analytics. Depodesta went on a media tour 2 weeks ago saying that analytics are just a tool we want to use to gather data to help us make the right moves with the draft, FA, cap, roster, ect. He downplayed it like it was just something they look at like everyother team in the NFL uses.

Dorsey didn’t want to use analytics. Maybe his guys agree with him. If so they have to go

8 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Gotta admit, I have no clue what 180 you're talking about.

Do you mean with Lamar's rushing? Because that's not a "180 in philosophy" from the FO. The FO has always been aligned around "get the best players", the people who had to do a 180 there were the offensive coaches. Which it seems they were happy to do after years of way post-peak Flacco. Good FO's aren't aligned around "I pick players for X system" they're aligned around "I pick the best players possible with an understanding of my coaching staff's strengths and abilities." So with their FO and coaching continuity, they can make year to year adjustments without having to blow stuff up because they have the organizational trust in place to make those shifts.

I've always prescribed to this mindset......If I was an ever a DCoordinator, at my Introductory Press Conference, of course the questions would be posed, what system are you planning to run this year.....I would say "I will answer that question after the 1rst round of FA's and the NFL Draft...so ask me that question again on April 27th"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Because our FO was bloated. As somebody pointed out on twitter our pro personnel department was listed as having 30+ guys where most teams (including the good ones) run around 20

Ok makes sense but today alone Wolfe ( asst GM) Highsmith (VP of player personnel), and Malin (Director of college scouting) seems like the fat you might not want to cut right away. Seems like guys you might fire after a year while you have your footing and people ready to put in place but right now after the senior bowl and the combine coming up. 

sure will be interesting to see who they hire to replace those guys cause those are positions you don’t just eliminate