Highsmith & Wolf are OUT

zelbell

15 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I heard a guy on the radio today say that we already tried analytics so why do it again?  Uhhhh we’ve been trying it the football way for a lot longer 😂

Since EVERY team uses analytics, and EVERY team is involved in traditional scouting, I'm not sure why it makes a difference.  Unless we are putting data together, sticking it in a computer, and having it spit out a name on whom to draft, then no one should really have a problem with it.  In fact, my little understanding of analytics, as it pertains to football, mainly deals in tendencies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Since EVERY team uses analytics, and EVERY team is involved in traditional scouting, I'm not sure why it makes a difference.  Unless we are putting data together, sticking it in a computer, and having it spit out a name on whom to draft, then no one should really have a problem with it.  In fact, my little understanding of analytics, as it pertains to football, mainly deals in tendencies.

Re: drafting I’m sure it’s going to point to physical indicators that correlate to success (vertical jumps to pass rushers for example), physical data as it applies to a bell curve (no drafting DT’s who run a 5.6 at 12 overall).

Analytics as applied to drafting is going to be about trying to avoid players who have to “beat the odds” in order to succeed and stack the deck in your favor. Check out things like math rushers, speed score for RB’s, etc for examples as to how analytics is applied if you’re interested and not familiar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Re: drafting I’m sure it’s going to point to physical indicators that correlate to success (vertical jumps to pass rushers for example), physical data as it applies to a bell curve (no drafting DT’s who run a 5.6 at 12 overall).

Analytics as applied to drafting is going to be about trying to avoid players who have to “beat the odds” in order to succeed and stack the deck in your favor. Check out things like math rushers, speed score for RB’s, etc for examples as to how analytics is applied if you’re interested and not familiar.

Now that it's 2020, most teams have really good data.  It's usually a matter if they have the discipline to adhere to it.  We have so many examples in the last 20 years where we made snap decisions in the heat of the moment.  Heart over brain stuff that cost us dearly.

I'm hoping we've seen the last of that.

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Now that it's 2020, most teams have really good data.  It's usually a matter if they have the discipline to adhere to it.  We have so many examples in the last 20 years where we made snap decisions in the heat of the moment.  Heart over brain stuff that cost us dearly.

I'm hoping we've seen the last of that.

Agreed.

The idea that you’re making decisions on draft day seems absurd (“Go get JFF” for example).  You should have already formulated a plan with contingencies and know who you want and what you’re going to do.

Take the emotion out of it and apply the info you’ve obtained.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Quick example: The Packers built OL dominance on the backs of a handful of 3rd-6th round picks blowing up and being super successful (Lane, Bahktiari, Sitton, Tretter, etc). But the interesting thing is, they did that by discovering that there was a time to beat in the 20 yard short shuttle for OL, and that players who did so succeeded at a FAR higher rate than those who did not. This was partly because no one trained with the short shuttle in mind, so it was a raw measurement of lateral agility and quickness. Now, that doesn't really work anymore because agents and players caught on and started training specifically for that drill, but at the time it let the Packers spend 3rd-6th round picks on OL and be confident that they would hit at roughly the rate of 1st round picks. 

That's what analytics is about. Find an edge that the rest of the league hasn't figured out yet (The Pats "acquire allllll the piiiiiicks", The Packers OL work, the first few teams that went super play action heavy, etc.) and exploit the living daylights out of it until everyone catches on, then find a new edge to exploit.

• Like 5

Anybody else Hear Ron Wolf denouncing the Browns when His son and our team Mutually agreed to part way's?

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/thats-what-got-em-1-31-ron-wolf-rips-cleveland-browns-use-of-analytics-says-team-is-out-of-control/95-02ffc2d8-eea6-4c35-813e-6fdeb2a5aea5

Analytics are out of control in Cleveland....that's what got'em 1-31...."

source.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfb57E6wtyKSdvNqWvlOg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think it’s because some people just don’t understand it and it scares them a little. I’ve said it before analytics in football has been around since the beginning. Maybe not as complex, but it’s been there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I think it’s because some people just don’t understand it and it scares them a little. I’ve said it before analytics in football has been around since the beginning. Maybe not as complex, but it’s been there. 

Exactly is fear of the unknown or not understanding the topic.

Once people take a deep dive into and wrap their heads around it, there’s literally nothing to not like.