Re-Signings [17.5 million spent]

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis 3 years 10.5 million/6.5 guaranteed/3 SB

Year 1: 1.5 GS/1 SB [2.5]
Year 2: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 3: 4 Salary/1 SB [5]

S Deon Bush 2 years 6.5 million/4 guaranteed/2 SB

Year 1: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 2: 2.5 salary/1 SB [3.5]

DE Roy Robertson-Harris [RFA] 3 years 13 million/8 guaranteed/3 SB [2nd round tender: 3.5 million]

Year 1: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 2: 3 GS/1 SB [4]
Year 3: 5 Salary/1 SB [6]

I Year Deals [9 million spent]

DE Brent Urban 1 year 1.25 million/250k guaranteed
S DeAndre Houston-Carson 1 year 1 million/250k guaranteed
LS Patrick Scales 1 year 950k/150k guaranteed
OT Cornelius Lucas 1 year 1 million/200k guaranteed
OG Rashaad Coward 1 year 1.1 million/200k guaranteed
OLB Isiah Irving 1 year 950k/150k guaranteed
TE/FB JP Holtz [ERFA] 1 year 610k

Loses

S Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix 4 years 36 milion
LB Nick Kwitakowsi 4 years 32 million
LB Danny Trevathan 3 years 18 million
DT Nick Williams 3 years 15 million

Cap Room: 30 million

Edited by WindyCity

Trade [7.7 million]

*The Chicago Bears trade a conditional 4th round pick in 2021 to the Cincinnati Bengals for QB Andy Dalton.

-10+ starts or if he is extended by the Bears: 3rd round pick.
-The Cincinnati Bengals convert 10 million of Andy Dalton's salary to signing bonus, which they pay and keep the cap hit.

QB Andy Dalton [Cincinnati] 1 year 7.7 million [7.7]

You make the trade for Dalton because it allows the Bengals to use their cap space to get something back for Dalton and the Bears get him at a significantly reduced cap figure with no guaranteed money. That is worth a lot to the Bears who are in cap trouble and need to save money where they can.

Dalton is not a star, but he is a veteran QB that can backup Mitch and be there in case of emergency to stabilize the position if Mitch continues to tank.
San-Francisco-49ers-v-Cincinnati-Bengals

Free Agency [15.5 million]

OG Ryan Groy [LA Chargers] 2 years 6 million/2.5 guaranteed [2.5]

This is not an exciting signing. But it is a budget conscious addition to the RG mix. Groy started games in Buffalo for Juan Castillo, he can play C and G, and he should be able to compete at RG with Coward and a draft pick. Perfect world the draft pick wins the competition and Groy becomes the swing interior backup.

Year 1: 2.5 GS [2.5]
Year 2: 3.5 salary [3.5] *1 guaranteed for 6 starts, *2 guaranteed for 12 starts
636382282471821756-JG-112716-Bills-48.jp

TE Blake Bell [Kansas City] 2 years 5.5 million/2.5 guaranteed[2.5]

The Bears need a TE who at a minimum can start at the Y and provide an upgrade to Shaheen, which is everyone with a pulse. They need someone who can help in the run game and be competent in the passing game. Bell has the size 6'6" 260lbs, has been in the system, and can play the Y TE

Year 1: 2.5 GS [2.5]
Year 2: 3 salary [3] *1 guaranteed for 6 starts, *2 guaranteed for 12 starts
9224hyRU_400x400.jpg

OLB Jabaal Sheard [Indianapolis] 1 year 3.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [3.5] 150k/sack bonus

Sheard is 32 and probably is done with multi year contracts and he has slowly been phased out as a starter in Indy, but he would be a nice addition as a #3 OLB. Sheard has a long history with Pagano and hopefully that allows the Bears to get him at a discount. Sheard is a 4-6 sack guy who will give you consistent power rushes and who will not be pushed around in the run game.
081317_sheard-lions-stance_622.jpg

OT David Sharpe [Oakland] 2 years 7 million/3 guaranteed [3]

The Bears need an OT that can come in and compete at both OT spots, after Massie and Leno sucked in 2019, and they need someone who can give them a legitimate starting option. Sharpe is 24 years old, has the size 6'6" 340lbs, and has played both LT and RT in the NFL. He can come in and give the Bears an improved swing tackle and someone who can start and have some long term upside.

Year 1: 3 GS [3]
Year 2: 4 salary [4] *1 guaranteed for 6 starts, *2 guaranteed for 12 starts

gallery_medium.jpg

S Clayton Geathers [Indianapolis] 1 year 2.5 million/500k guaranteed [2.5]

The Bears need a veteran S in case Bush struggles as a starter or Jackson gets banged up. Geathers is a veteran with a history with Pagano. He can come in and provide a veteran presence and someone who can tackle.

27f0767c-d358-42da-a07b-8a7cfea8be6e-092

LB Kentrell Brothers [Minnesota] 1 years 1.5 million/500k guaranteed [1.5]

If the Bears lose both Trevathan and Kiwk they are going to need some depth as Iggy and Woods have shown very little on defense. Brothers has been a backup and special teamer for the Vikings, but he gives the Bears another option at the position if someone is injured or struggling.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2Q-7mHGS3qVhPvb0-nz3

Cap Room: 6.8 million

Edited by WindyCity

Draft [4 million spent]

2[43] TE Brycen Hopkins [Purdue] 6'4" 240lbs.

The Bears desperately need a TE that can be a dynamic weapon in the passing game. Burton is constantly injured. Shaheen sucks, and while the young guys were showed some promise this season they are not guys who defensive coaches worry about. Hopkins is a dynamic athlete and very good route runner that can step in and be the mismatch TE that the offense needs to thrive. Hopkins can stretch the seam and force teams to cover him with a safety which will open up everything else in the offense. It will hopefully get Cohen back to being a dynamic weapon and open up things underneath for Miller.

9411163.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

*Trade: the Chicago Bears trade 2[50] to the Atlanta Falcons for 2[55] and a 4th round pick. If free agency does not go well the Bears need to look to add picks and depth at positions where they cannot add legitimate starting talent.

2[55] OG Damien Lewis [LSU] 6'2" 329lbs.

The Bears need a serious and long term answer at RG. They need someone who can step as quickly as possible and move Groy to the swing interior player. The buzz about Castillo is that he was hired to get the Bears moving down field more in the run game and he has always coached big OLs that can move people. Lewis is a monster people mover who has one of the best basis and punches in the class. He just got done dominating the Senior Bowl and show casing that power and nasty that the Bears are missing. Lewis is a little short, but with 33.5" arms I am less concerned with his height.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-05-at-1.33.30-PM.png

4. S Antoine Brooks [Maryland] 5'11" 215lbs.

The Bears need a long term SS next to Jackson who is not making a ton of money. Even if they re-sign Deon Bush they need options as he is unproven. They need someone to compete beyond a cheap veteran signing. Brooks is an ideal SS. He is built like a LB, can play in the box, and does not miss tackles. He would allow for Jackson to go back the the centerfield role that he did not get to play in 2019.

Texas+v+Maryland+A0_dkvyACG7l.jpg

4. OLB Alex Highsmith [Charlotte] 6'4" 252lbs.

The Bears need to add some cheap pass rush depth and they need to start developing someone who can play heavy snaps in the rotation. Highsmith is a small school guy, but he has NFL physical tools and he has what you need to develop. Highsmith is coming off a 14 sack season on a team that has developed some recent NFL players. He has good burst and length and showed that he was a step above the shrine game competition.

Alex_Highsmith.jpg

5. CB A.J Green [Oklahoma St] 6'1" 200lbs.

CB is a position where I think the Bears will go cheaper so they can spread money to other areas of the team and because they do not have a lot of cap space. Green had a nice Senior Bowl week, he had the size the Bears seem to like at the CB position, and solid ball skills. He does not need to start, but he needs to come in and compete and provide depth at the #2 CB spot. Tolliver, Melvin [FA] and Green [draft] give the Bears 3 options to start and better depth than they have had in a long time.

a-j-green-4.jpg

6. WR Joe Reed [Virginia] 6'1" 215lbs.

The Bears need some speed in the WR core and they need someone who can generate some YAC yards. Reed needs work, he may not be ready to contribute in 2020, but he has good size and speed.

9416439.jpg

6. RB Reggie Corbin [Illinois] 5'10" 205lbs.

The Bears need a backup RB that offers a speed compliment to Montgomery. Corbin has better size than Cohen and much better speed and explosion than Montgomery. He can come in and backup, return kicks if Patterson is injured, ad provide a couple of speed looks out of the backfield during the game.

reggie-corbin-1004.jpg?itok=KQ4jRTHZ

7. OLB James Smith-Williams [NC State] 6'3" 268lbs.

The Bears need to add multiple young cheap pass rushers and hope they get something out of one of them in the 2020 season and long term they can be cheap rotational depth. Smith-Williams is a raw, well built, and athletic pass rusher who has physical tools, but very little in the way of refinement. He can work as a deep backup and on special teams while they try and coach up the technique and pass rush moves.

_big_WM%20at%20State%209-1-16___A001-379

7. OG Tyre Phillips [Mississippi St] 6'5" 342lbs.

The Bears need to add multiple OLmen and give themselves a constant developmental pipeline at the position because of injuries ans turnovers. Phillips is a massive mauler who could be an OG or maybe a RT after playing LT at Miss State. He had a solid Senior Bowl and has physical tools for Castillo to work with. He adds size and power to a line that was too often pushed around. More than likely he will end up on the PR, but the more swings at OL the better for an average at best unit.

9415904.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Cap Room: 2.8 million

+3 million for cutting Shaheen and Braunecker in camp.

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Dalton
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Corbin, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Reed Wims, Patterson
TE: Hopkins, Bell, Burton, Horsted
LT: Leno, Phillips [PR]
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Lewis/Groy
RT: Massie/Sharpe

RE: Nichols, RRH
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Floyd, Highsmith
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: KPL, Brothers, Woods
OLB: Mack, Sheard, Smith-Williams
CB: Fuller, Tolliver/Roberson/Green, Skrine, Shelley
FS: Jackson, Geathers, DHC
SS: Bush/Brooks
K: Piniero
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Why you no draft QB?

I do not think they will carry 3.

They are going to need guys to actually play positions out of the draft. With limited free agent dollars they need all draft picks to be on the roster and doing something.

Nice work.  Only thing I'm not a huge fan on is letting both Danny T and Kwit walk.  Pierre Louis is decent but not a full time player IMO.

Tho this seems like a more realistic approach considering the limited resources and amount of holes needed to fill.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Nice work.  Only thing I'm not a huge fan on is letting both Danny T and Kwit walk.  Pierre Louis is decent but not a full time player IMO.

Tho this seems like a more realistic approach considering the limited resources and amount of holes needed to fill.

I was just assuming we get priced out on both.

I am not sure how much they will set aside at ILB.

The effort is always appreciated Windy but I’m not a fan of thIs free agency at all. You make moves to get us to $50M in cap space and we don’t add a single impact player with it, and unless Geathers starts over Bush I don’t see a single starter either. With releasing Gabriel and replacing him only with a mid round WR you acknowledge may not be ready to contribute in 2020 we likely get worse at WR (where we were underwhelming to begin with after ARob) in a year where we’re trying to set our make-or-break year QB up for success as much as possible. That seems counterintuitive. Blake Bell has 23 catches across 51 games the past 4 years, and no TDs. If he gets anything more than a minimum salary benefit deal from us I’ll be pretty pissed. I’m not convinced he’s even an upgrade over Braunecker, and he’s actually been less productive day in the passing game than Shaheen the past 3 seasons, in twice as many games. Also, your cap numbers on your Robinson extension don’t add up - you outline the new deal being 5/$83M after the extension but the sum of your cap numbers across 5 years only comes to $63M. 

I’m actually pretty good with the draft. Like Hopkins and Lewis both quite a bit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The effort is always appreciated Windy but I’m not a fan of thIs free agency at all. You make moves to get us to $50M in cap space and we don’t add a single impact player with it, and unless Geathers starts over Bush I don’t see a single starter either. With releasing Gabriel and replacing him only with a mid round WR you acknowledge may not be ready to contribute in 2020 we likely get worse at WR (where we were underwhelming to begin with after ARob) in a year where we’re trying to set our make-or-break year QB up for success as much as possible. That seems counterintuitive. Blake Bell has 23 catches across 51 games the past 4 years, and no TDs. If he gets anything more than a minimum salary benefit deal from us I’ll be pretty pissed. I’m not convinced he’s even an upgrade over Braunecker, and he’s actually been less productive day in the passing game than Shaheen the past 3 seasons, in twice as many games. Also, your cap numbers on your Robinson extension don’t add up - you outline the new deal being 5/$83M after the extension but the sum of your cap numbers across 5 years only comes to $63M. 

I’m actually pretty good with the draft. Like Hopkins and Lewis both quite a bit. 

The cap figures have been updated.

We know that Pace likes to fill as many holes as possible in free agency to give himself flexibility in the draft. I am not sure how you can sign 6-7 players, including a QB, and have them be impact players?

Take 25 million and address

OG

OT

TE

QB

OLB

S

Because that is what I see as a minimum of being signed.

I still remember when Blake Bell was a QB in college. 

Didn't Groy used to be with the Bears?

Smith-Williams is one of my draft sleepers so I like that. Hopkins is a good pick, too.

Round 2 is probably a round or two too high for Lewis although I think he'll be a solid pro.

No point in payingBush that much, especially if you're signing Geathers, too. 

I like the Sheard pick up. I wonder how much Markus Golden would cost.

Edited by beardown3231

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I still remember when Blake Bell was a QB in college. 

Didn't Groy used to be with the Bears?

Smith-Williams is one of my draft sleepers so I like that. Hopkins is a good pick, too.

Round 2 is probably a round or two too high for Lewis although I think he'll be a solid pro.

No point in payingBush that much, especially if you're signing Geathers, too. 

I like the Sheard pick up. I wonder how much Markus Golden would cost.

My guess on Golden is 10-12/season.

You need more than 1 safety. I think Bush can be a starter for you, but you cannot rely on that,

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The cap figures have been updated.

We know that Pace likes to fill as many holes as possible in free agency to give himself flexibility in the draft. I am not sure how you can sign 6-7 players, including a QB, and have them be impact players?

Take 25 million and address

OG

OT

TE

QB

OLB

S

Because that is what I see as a minimum of being signed.

I’m not expecting 6-7 impact players by any stretch but with essentially $45M in cap funds available for FA in your scenario I don’t think you can come away with clearly none either. I would argue that your FA doesn’t leave us better at any starting position over 2019 other than probably OG (with a guy you probably don’t even project starting over the R2 draft pick), and coming off a season with significant regression specifically on offense I’d see that as a massive failure on Pace’s part. I’m all for building quality depth but that matters a whole lot less if the starters are underwhelming.

From where we’re at I think we prioritize select quality starters in FA before going after value signings and depth in the draft outside of round 2. Assuming the Floyd extension you outline, to me that means a significant investment at TE first and foremost and then at backup QB, followed by OG (which I agree should be a round 2 pick) and safety. OLB is a bargain basement or draft only need IMO if we are locking in Floyd opposite Mack as you have because it’s only a role player need both short and long term, and OT is a legitimate developmental guy for me with Leno and Massie locked in for 2020 financially. I’d add the need for a true speed threat at WR to your list but I don’t see much of that available in FA. 

From your list I’d break down ~$25M in spending relative to the cap roughly as:

TE $5-7M + DP

QB $5-8M

OG $2-3M (assumes R2 draft pick)

S $4-6M (1 starter, then value depth)

OT $1-2M + DP

OLB $1-2M + DP