Bears sign star CB from CFL

BowserBroncos

10 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

I don't watch CFL to know if he is any good, but 9 offers and largestt CFL-to-NFL compensation since Cam Wake. That must be important.

Amukamara on the way out?

Well his play seemed to tail off as the season went on and with Bears having little cap space and Prince set to count $10M towards the 2020 cap he's probably a goner unless he's willing to take a big pay cut.

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He spent 2 training camps with us in '16 and '17, but wasn't good enough to make the 53-man roster.  We'll have to see if he's improved from then

He probably has. The compesation that it gets me. Cam Wake was a huge get, bet the Bears are expecting something similar.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well his play seemed to tail off as the season went on and with Bears having little cap space and Prince set to count $10M towards the 2020 cap he's probably a goner unless he's willing to take a big pay cut.

I think he still have some gas in him. I don't know if he fits Pagano's system, maybe a change of scenario will do him good. I wasn't expecting Chicago to cut him, but with a potential replacement in Roberson....it's probably easier to let him go. I would like to him to reunite with Fangio and Donatell in Denver for the right price.

• Like 1

If there are 2 positions where you should pay attention in the CFL, it's CB & cover ILB - because of the wider field, the 25 yard endzone, and the 1-yard off-the-LOS D formation, it's all about getting guys who have speed, and cover huge areas of the field, and trail guys for a lot longer in the NFL.   Of course, the flip side is that the WR's aren't quite as fast or big as in the NFL, and tackling / setting the edge is always more difficult to project.   

Wake was hard to project because of the difference with the 1-yard gap at the LOS.   But Brandon Browner & Jerrell Freeman were 2 success stories from the CFL.   Getting a significant guarantee does mean the Bears expect Roberson to stick.   Wish him well in the Windy City...

• Like 3