Browns hire Alex Van Pelt as OC

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I like Alex Van Pelt....but was kinda falling in Love with the Idea of Scag's.....who technically could still come on board as QB's Coach.

Yeah I’m wondering if they still hire a QB coach or if AVP coaches QB’s and is the coordinator with O’Shea being the passing game coordinator and Stump/Callahan as the run game coordinator?

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I’m wondering if they still hire a QB coach or if AVP coaches QB’s and is the coordinator with O’Shea being the passing game coordinator and Stump/Callahan as the run game coordinator?

That's a Good Thought Process like that. I guess this is there way of saying....."Stay tuned".

I was even thinking that, especially if no one is hired as QB coach, that "Steppenwolf" Stefanski  might let Van Pelt call plays, with Oshea and Stump coordinating the Passing and Running games respectively and he runs the team, handles game day game flow and coach the QB room himself. 

Still kinda want Scags.....based on the info from @Mind Character

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaWg_LB. said:

That's a Good Thought Process like that. I guess this is there way of saying....."Stay tuned".

I was even thinking that, especially if no one is hired as QB coach, that "Steppenwolf" Stefanski  might let Van Pelt call plays, with Oshea and Stump coordinating the Passing and Running games respectively and he runs the team, handles game day game flow and coach the QB room himself. 

Still kinda want Scags.....based on the info from @Mind Character

Yeah having good, qualified folks never hurts and long as they all play nice and are on the same page.

• Like 1

Just now, ReggieCamp said:

He seems like a good QB coach, so that’s good.  Fixing Baker is priority #1, imo.

The only weird thing about the hire is the timing. He’s been available for a while. It’s easy to conclude that he wasn’t our first choice.

Yeah you’d have to think they wanted one of the SF guys and when that didn’t work out they snagged him.

Either way, I’ll go out on a limb early and say he’s likely to be better than the guy he’s replacing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Since Van Pelt has experience coaching QBs, I wonder if this takes us out of the running for Scangarello. I would still really like him as QB coach.

If we could get him....that would be 3 GOOD QB coaches.....one at HC, One at OC (Former NFL QB) and one at the Position coach level.....which was similar to the Setup Carson Wentz had in Philly with Pederson, Reich and DeFilippo......the model has worked for a young QB in the past. Even though Philly had two former pro qb's on the coaching staff.....one will do (Especially since Reich and Van Pelt both played at Buffalo, in fact..Van pelt took over as the Backup QB when Reich left.

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

similar to the Setup Carson Wentz had in Philly with Pederson, Reich and DeFilippo..

.. interesting comparison I hadn't thought of ...

Hopefully, we can catch lightning in a bottle like they did on that meteoric run.

Case Keenum in the role of Backup QB with past success and past failures that can come in a win if need be.

Of course neither Keenum or any other backup QB will likely ever replicate that wild level of play Foles did in that Super Bowl playoff run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

.. interesting comparison I hadn't thought of ...

Hopefully, we can catch lightning in a bottle like they did on that meteoric run.

Case Keenum in the role of Backup QB with past success and past failures that can come in a win if need be.

Of course neither Keenum or any other backup QB will likely ever replicate that wild level of play Foles did in that Super Bowl playoff run.

Still it would be nice to get Keenum. He is a high end backup QB/low level starter similar to Josh McCown that would be a great mentor for a young QB. I would make it a point to try and go out and grab a guy like that

• Like 2