2020 Re-signings, Extensions, Contracts

WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

Bears RB Tarik Cohen’s base salary for 2020 has jumped from $735,000 to $2.147 million, per NFLPA records. This is due to the “Proven Performance Escalator,” which is rewarded based on playing time for players drafted in Rounds 3-7 https://overthecap.com/proven-performance-escalator/

Damn...I mean good for him but this isn't good for the team lol.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

No, 1.4 million gone on a player coming off a terrible year who needs to have his role reduced.

It's not fully guaranteed though, right? What if they cut him? Be the best Bears news I've had in a long time. Keep Nagy from using him as much...

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think it is a little unfair to completely write off Cohen after a bad season.  He has been one of best Bears playmakers for 2 of 3 years.

Especially behind a trash OL in run blocking and with over half the season thrust into a WR role that he was no a fit for.  Having Tru only able to throw in his general vicinity doesn't help. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think it is a little unfair to completely write off Cohen after a bad season.  He has been one of best Bears playmakers for 2 of 3 years.

Cohen can be electric with the ball in his hands but my issue with him is consistency.  I don't have the numbers, but judging from the eye test he dropped a lot of easy catches and fumbles the ball way too much for my liking.

He also has a tendency to run out of bounds way too early, which drives me nuts, because there are times when he could have easily pushed for an extra few yards.

I think I need to see this kid ball harder in 2020 before I commit long term to him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Cohen can be electric with the ball in his hands but my issue with him is consistency.  I don't have the numbers, but judging from the eye test he dropped a lot of easy catches and fumbles the ball way too much for my liking.

He also has a tendency to run out of bounds way too early, which drives me nuts, because there are times when he could have easily pushed for an extra few yards.

I think I need to see this kid ball harder in 2020 before I commit long term to him.

He was crap in 2019. He was valuable in 2017 and 2018.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He was crap in 2019. He was valuable in 2017 and 2018.

Not only was Cohen not good in 2019 but his usage felt really forced to me. Montgomery was more consistently effective and still lost reps to Cohen regularly even in situations where it didn’t make a great deal of sense.

Cohen would stand to benefit maybe more than any other player on our roster from the addition of a true vertical element to our offense backing the safeties off the LOS. With that, he needs to be far better with the opportunities he gets regardless of when and how they come. His lack of willingness to not run laterally around contact in particular really limits how we can use him. It’s maddening. 

• Like 4

On 1/31/2020 at 1:16 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Not only was Cohen not good in 2019 but his usage felt really forced to me. Montgomery was more consistently effective and still lost reps to Cohen regularly even in situations where it didn’t make a great deal of sense.

Cohen would stand to benefit maybe more than any other player on our roster from the addition of a true vertical element to our offense backing the safeties off the LOS. With that, he needs to be far better with the opportunities he gets regardless of when and how they come. His lack of willingness to not run laterally around contact in particular really limits how we can use him. It’s maddening. 

Agreed and just to add to this. It doesn't help when Nagy was forcing him into matchups that put him at a disadvantage and was failing to adjust to different defensive schemes. Last year, Nagy would put Cohen in position to be one-on-one with linebackers where Cohen was favorable and let him beat them in the open field. This year though, teams realized that playing more dime coverage was the better way to match/beat Nagy's offensive speed and, in turn, caused Cohen to be lined up against a DB more often and that's a bad matchup for him because he's not a physical player at all and can easily be bumped off his routes.

Cohen is strictly an open field player who can only make plays in space.

• Like 3