Thoughts about something I have not seen discussed much...

kurgan

Ok, so we are devoid of a first round pick.  From what I have seen/written/scouted myself, this draft is FAT in the middle rounds, and top heavy with WR and OT.  What say on draft night, we are at #49 and player X (the player is not the point, but say its a slipping WR/QB/OT or something else pushed down that is not a primetime DL).  Being that TE is our biggest need and other than Hopkins and Kmet, they can be gotten later and DL (assuming we lose Gravedigger), would we all be pissed if Oakland calls and wants #49 for #80, #81, and their 5th??

We'd go from 6 picks to 8, and with our needs being players but not PLAYERS, I see this being a strategy we can use.  It would give us 3 3rds, 2 4ths, and one each 5-7.  We could end up with something like:

3.80--Van Jefferson, WR Florida (WR is soooo deep, and a good one is gonna fall.  Dude is an X all day... but you can have Tyler Johnson if you prefer.)

3.81--Jared Pinkney, TE Vandy (Blocker and RZ threat.  More in the mold of what we look for in a TE)

3.100--Tyler Biadsz, C/G Wisconsin (IOL for Finney, falling but still a great player)

4.111--Alex Highsmith, EDGE Charlotte (TJ understudy that can be the rotation piece if Ola/Skipper don't work out)

4.124--Jason Strowbridge, 5 tech North Carolina (Another understudy that can learn from Cam and Tuitt, and shore up the DL if Alualu goes away)

5.150(ish)--Jeremy Chinn, S Southern Illinois (6'3" monster that needs work, but could work as the dime safety)

6.200(ish)--Benito Jones, NG Ole Miss (Bye Big Dan... has some hips that can work in more than a plugger role)

7.210(ish)--Cole Chewins, OT Michigan State (6'8" project LT that can be a mix type guy)

So, in this scenario, we are "trading" Jefferson (or Johnson/Mims), Pinkney (or Bryant(FAU)/Stanford TE) and Chinn (or DB of your choice) FOR Hopkins/Kmet/or even a DL guy that is there (Davis/Madibuike)

Biadasz's ranking is all over the place but I do not think he falls that far.   Darryl Williams OG/C Miss St would look good in Black and Gold there.

If Pinkney is still there a t81 then so is Moss.  I like Moss because he is a better blocker.

Snowbridge does not fit what the Steelers look for in a 5 tech ( 6'5 300 lbs).  I would work as a OLB in training though.  decent bend but I do not know if he has the explosiveness that would be needed.

Leki Fotu, IDL, Utah fits the mold for a 5 tech but has some character red flags.

Anae and Uche would be 2 OLB/EDGE prospects that would have to be taken in the 2nd

I think they will look at Davon Hamilton IDL Ohio St.  He would be a good replacement for Hargrave.

Following your draft I would like

3.80--Tyler Johnson WR, Minnesota - Deep threat

3.81--Davon Hamilton IDL, Ohio State Hargrave replacement

3.100--Damien Lewis IOL LSU

4.111--A.J. Green CB, Oklahoma State - Very good technique.

4.124--Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

------ No change -----

5.150(ish)--Jeremy Chinn, S Southern Illinois (6'3" monster that needs work, but could work as the dime safety)

6.200(ish)--Benito Jones, NG Ole Miss (Bye Big Dan... has some hips that can work in more than a plugger role)

7.210(ish)--Cole Chewins, OT Michigan State (6'8" project LT that can be a mix type guy)

Edited by jebrick

I’m assuming Steelers are more likely to trade up rather than trade down ...as long as Steelers resign 1 of Bud or Hargraves.

I know I keep saying it but a trade up fits their “window” better.

With them having 2 4ths and still getting a 3rd rd compensatory pick, thru could probably move up to the late 1st or early 2nd from #50.

It's going to be very interesting to see if at our first pick, round 2, we go best player or position of need. 
I think N.Gallimore and X.McKInney would both be hard to pass up there, but it'll be very interesting if say
J.Taylor and J.Eason are sitting there as well. 

9 hours ago, mwalker said:

It's going to be very interesting to see if at our first pick, round 2, we go best player or position of need. 
I think N.Gallimore and X.McKInney would both be hard to pass up there, but it'll be very interesting if say
J.Taylor and J.Eason are sitting there as well. 

Id prefer we go for BPA the entire draft except for QB.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jebrick said:

Biadasz's ranking is all over the place but I do not think he falls that far.   Darryl Williams OG/C Miss St would look good in Black and Gold there.

Yea, I was not too sure on him being down that far.  But, TDN has him at literally #100, so i thought there might be a chance.  I'd take whatever IOL is there, and I would not be mad about Williams or one of the LSU kids.

If Pinkney is still there a t81 then so is Moss.  I like Moss because he is a better blocker.

Agree to disagree.  Pinkney, when motivated, is a beast.  Played WAY more inline than Moss as well.  Him and Kmet are most what we look for in traditional Steelers picks, but *I* would rather have Pink at this point.

Snowbridge does not fit what the Steelers look for in a 5 tech ( 6'5 300 lbs).  I would work as a OLB in training though.  decent bend but I do not know if he has the explosiveness that would be needed.

Another agree to disagree.  I can see shades of Tuitt in Strowbridge.  A penetrating 5 tech that can compete with Buggs.  Needs to work on the run game, but can be a pass rushing 5 for sure.

Leki Fotu, IDL, Utah fits the mold for a 5 tech but has some character red flags.

You said it... I'd love him as  a comp for Gravedigger, but not a Steelers dude.  Feel the same way about Robinson from Syracuse, TBH.

Anae and Uche would be 2 OLB/EDGE prospects that would have to be taken in the 2nd

IF the position is addressed in some other way, I would LOVE Anae.  But, not at #49.  Too many other needs and I am almost 100% on Dupree coming back, so our first pick on Anae seems silly.  If Dupree walks, OK, but not at all if we stay at #49.

I think they will look at Davon Hamilton IDL Ohio St.  He would be a good replacement for Hargrave.

Totally agree... I just didn't want to copy the Depot mock.

Following your draft I would like

3.80--Tyler Johnson WR, Minnesota - Deep threat

I like Van more than Johnson, TBH.  Potato/Potatoe... Van is an excellent X that is way above ready to play.  He is not what we already have and can make JJSS more moving around.

3.81--Davon Hamilton IDL, Ohio State Hargrave replacement

Love it... if not high.

3.100--Damien Lewis IOL LSU

I'm OK with this.  Would love a C, but it is what it is.

4.111--A.J. Green CB, Oklahoma State - Very good technique.

0% need here.  May be BPA, but the TE almost has to be here, or a S guy.

4.124--Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

I don't see him here at all, but would be a steal.  If we are waiting this long, I would like the guy from Stanford more (Parkinson)

------ No change -----

22 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I’m assuming Steelers are more likely to trade up rather than trade down ...as long as Steelers resign 1 of Bud or Hargraves.

I know I keep saying it but a trade up fits their “window” better.

With them having 2 4ths and still getting a 3rd rd compensatory pick, thru could probably move up to the late 1st or early 2nd from #50.

I see your point, BUT... we need players not PLAYERS.  We are thin at places where we are 1-2 injures away from getting guys off of couches.  I'd rather use the capital to address depth at TE, S, DL, Edge, IOL, WR, etc, etc than use it all to go grab 1 dude who solves 1 issue, but leaves us with no way to fix other issues.

With our cap situation, we have to use the draft to plug holes in the roster

40 minutes ago, kurgan said:

I see your point, BUT... we need players not PLAYERS.  We are thin at places where we are 1-2 injures away from getting guys off of couches.  I'd rather use the capital to address depth at TE, S, DL, Edge, IOL, WR, etc, etc than use it all to go grab 1 dude who solves 1 issue, but leaves us with no way to fix other issues.

With our cap situation, we have to use the draft to plug holes in the roster

With the way their cap is and limited draft capital, they’re not going to be able to fix ALL their depth probably by the conclusion of the draft.

Even If say...they resign Bud,keep 1 of Finney/Foster and have Vance take a few mill pay cut....that leaves IOL, NT, ILB, S....sling with possibly RB/TE/OLB.

I see another summer trade to plug a hole this upcoming year.

53 minutes ago, kurgan said:

I totally agree, but if we trade UP, the situation gets worse.  We would have less draft capital.  And not a better money situation....

Oh I know, at that point it’s a pros/cons type of thing of a stud players vs multiple people they like.

I still think as long as Dupree gets signed long term and not Franchise tagged l, they can structure deal to allow a FA signing or 2.