Make The Case: KEEP DUPREE

TwoForTheMoney

If you saw this game tonight, you saw Pat Mahomes was never comfortable in the pocket. He was a shell of his normal self. He played just good enough to win. And he had to scrap his way to make it happen. 49ers should've went QB spy with the four man rush when Mahomes kept extending drives with his legs. That's what buried them. Bc they were inert. The normal offense felt stuck in the mud. They just couldn't get it going. And it's because of pressure. Not sacks. Pressure. Pressure keeps a man up at night. Because they're still there. They're always there. You could see how frustrated he was. And it showed. 2 tuddies. 2 picks. Not exactly efficient. Not a ton of yards. I believe the word is called pressure. And it's gotta be just four. Otherwise, they dump it in the direction of the blitz. The pressure was relentless. In your face. The whole game. The 49ers defense played good enough to win and only lost bc of their $30m crutch at QB. I don't know how you lose when you're gaining ten yards a carry with that defense. If he was anything, you can run playaction and Kittles and bits. It's unstoppable. They're essentially running the offense we should be running. The 49ers defense rushed four the whole game and when Mahomes' back foot hit in his drop, he was agitated, bc he had to flee the pocket. What you essentially have is a different QB altogether. I wanna see Goff on the back of that jersey every game. Whether he's playing or not. Then one play changed it. Mahomes literally dropped back 15 yards and threw up a prayer and hit Tyreek Hill for 44 yards on 3rd & 15 down ten with 7 minutes left. The defense never broke down. They had done their job. They were one play away from winning the Super Bowl. He just dropped back far enough where he bought himself time. It was 3rd & 15 and prayer time. If they don't hit it, the story is how the 49ers defense frustrated Mahomes and never let him get in a rhythm. But that wasn't the case. They still had a chance for it, because they were winning, but then every time after that when it was time for Jimmy INT to make a play. Can he make a play? And he can't make a play. Bc he's trash. 

The 49ers lost bc they pay $30m a year for trash. 

8 hours ago, TwoForTheMoney said:

If you saw this game tonight, you saw Pat Mahomes was never comfortable in the pocket. He was a shell of his normal self. He played just good enough to win.

I agree. Mahomes s the best QB in the NFL. Unfortunately for the other 31 teams, "a shell of himself" is still good enough to win against a very good defensive team. He did play just good enough to win and that is all it takes. We love dominance, but at the end of the day it is about winning.  He played well in crunch time with the game on the line. The third and fifteen completion to Hill sparked them.  They also began to target Richard Sherman in pass routes that he would have trouble covering and after they began to gas the defense by going no huddle. Smart coaching by Andy Reid and OC Eric Bienemy here too.

And he had to scrap his way to make it happen. 49ers should've went QB spy with the four man rush when Mahomes kept extending drives with his legs. That's what buried them.

Makes sense. I won't second guess it because the game is all about adjustments. Great coaches, coordinators and QB's adjust to the adjustments. Every defense can be attacked and every offense has its weakness as well. 

Bc they were inert. The normal offense felt stuck in the mud. They just couldn't get it going. And it's because of pressure. Not sacks. Pressure. Pressure keeps a man up at night. Because they're still there. They're always there. You could see how frustrated he was. And it showed. 2 tuddies. 2 picks. Not exactly efficient. Not a ton of yards. I believe the word is called pressure. And it's gotta be just four. Otherwise, they dump it in the direction of the blitz. The pressure was relentless. In your face. The whole game. 

San Fran has a great defense. They are balanced against the run and they can (as you pointed out) pressure opposing QB's. The two things KC did well and changed to jumpstart the offense were as I stated: Going with the two minute type of offense and then targeting Sherman against smaller, more nimble and quicker receivers. They hit some plays that kept them in the game.

The 49ers defense played good enough to win and only lost bc of their $30m crutch at QB. I don't know how you lose when you're gaining ten yards a carry with that defense.

I am not going to put all of the blame on Jimmy G.  Yes he missed a wide open Sanders streaking down the middle of the field with two defenders trailing. That is the difference between good and great.  I will agree that he certainly wasn't clutch there. Mahomes hit his third and (15) "the game" pass earlier in the quarter. Again, the coaches have to do some things as well. San Fran getting a three and out and burning only 30 seconds hurt too.  After a five yard first down run, they threw the ball twice.  To your point, the offense is built for power football. Why not cram it down their throat? That is how they got here.  I remember saying the same thing when the Steelers beat KC in 2017. Bell was unstoppable in the first half, yet on a few occassions like first and goal at the one, they threw a pass. It got tipped and Eric Berry got a gift INT.  Not to mention both San Fran and Seattle throwing in the redzone with great backs and one turning the ball over on downs and the other one giving the game away due to an INT.  With a lead and five minutes, I get you want to close it out, but what is your teams strength? San Fran has a dominant smash-mouth style that helped them not have a single three and out all game. Why not try to beat them into submission with the rushing attack? 

Rarely does any one play or one person ose a team game.  You have a ten point lead midway through the fourth quarter. You have a dominant rushing attack and you are going against the best QB in the league. Run Forrest run!!! If for no other reason you take more time off the clock.  You also slow down and take your time with the lead. You don't snap the ball until you are within five seconds of the play clock running out: Milk it! Milk it!

If he was anything, you can run playaction and Kittles and bits. It's unstoppable. They're essentially running the offense we should be running.

The Steelers had no answers after Ben went down and his injury affected the offense a lot more than just his passing (line calls, ability to beat the bllitz and stacked fronts, etc.).  With a 38 yo Big Ben coming back off of throwing arm surgery, you have to get a rushing attack and transition to some ball control as well with our improved defense. As I have said in some other threads, I would do what the Broncos did with Elway late in his career and Peyton Manning late in his (great defense and a punishing rushing attack).  George Kittle is the best all-around TE in the NFL, so at least 26 of 32 teams couldn't duplicate or come close to having a great attack with the TE (Ravens by committee of TE's, Chiefs with Kelsey, Chargers with Henry, etc.).

The 49ers defense rushed four the whole game and when Mahomes' back foot hit in his drop, he was agitated, bc he had to flee the pocket. What you essentially have is a different QB altogether. I wanna see Goff on the back of that jersey every game. Whether he's playing or not. Then one play changed it. Mahomes literally dropped back 15 yards and threw up a prayer and hit Tyreek Hill for 44 yards on 3rd & 15 down ten with 7 minutes left.

Game Changer! That is why they tell you that you have to play every play hard and for 60 minutes!!! I am not saying San Fran took the play off, but they gave up big plays during crunch time.  I still believe that they were clearly the better team, but they let the best QB beat them.

The defense never broke down.

Yeah they did! If KC does not convert that third and fifteeen, it is down to a fourth and fifteen wing and a prayer. Does that defense make two mistakes? Probably not. San Fran takes over on the Chiefs side of the of the field and probably crams the ball down their throats and eat up two or three minutes of prescious time.  The opportunity to suceed is gone simply because there is not enough time and ball possessions for the comeback.

They had done their job. They were one play away from winning the Super Bowl. He just dropped back far enough where he bought himself time. It was 3rd & 15 and prayer time. If they don't hit it, the story is how the 49ers defense frustrated Mahomes and never let him get in a rhythm. But that wasn't the case.

That is woulda, coulda, shoulda, but the 49'ers didn't! They hadn't done their job. It is still a team game.  When the clock struck 00:00, they lost by 11 points. 

They still had a chance for it, because they were winning, but then every time after that when it was time for Jimmy INT to make a play. Can he make a play? And he can't make a play. Bc he's trash. 

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't have a horse in this race or dog in this fight so to speak.  However, if the Steelers had trashy Jimmy G and their defennse do they make the play-offs? I can't call a guy "trash" because he lost to the BEST QB in the entire NFL.  He wasn't covering Hill or Watkins. He also wasn't missing tackles on Williams. He owns the missed connection to Sanders. Heck even if he underthrows it as Mahomes did Tyreek's pass. They live for another set of at least four downs. Jimmy G didn't make plays and after beating Kirk Cousin's and A-A Ron, he couldn't beat  last years league MVP and this year's SB MVP. 

The 49ers lost bc they pay $30m a year for trash. 

I disagree my friend. They lost because they didn't play team football for 60 minutes! San Fran outplayed KC for about 54 minutes.  It wasn't enough.  Lesson learned for everyone else: you have to (Play 60) as the NFL's fitness moniker says. Who knows how this game may have finished had the 49'ers run on second and five instead of passing and getting the ball tipped at the line.... Losing always brings more questions than answers. 

15 hours ago, TwoForTheMoney said:

They're essentially running the offense we should be running.

except we don't have an OL , OL coach and OC and our QB runs the pass happy offence we have. Other than that , maybe there is a chanceo.O

I agree about getting pressure with 4  , always preferred that scheme anyways. We NOW have a decent secondary too, that helps, but the front has to get there in decent time or the speed of the WR's will ruin it all . 

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Jimmy G was exposed a bit in that game.  The 49'ers were closer to the 1974 Steelers in style than most would admit.  Both QBs were feeling the pressure.  Mahomes made more throws than Jimmy G.

good observation, but the 49ers got away from he run in the 4th when the old steelers and Franco would have sealed the victory;)

I feel asleep during the game, so it's fair to say I wasn't as interested as I thought I was going to be.