Packers Part way with WR coach Alvis Whitted

Jaire_Island

3 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I thought Edgar Bennett was unemployed, but he's with the Raiders right now. RBs and WRs performed at a high level under him, and IMO he was scapegoated for systemic failures on offense. 

When did Bennett leave us?

29 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Once we got a decent returner I was pretty happy with ST.  The one thing that was a major improvement was we didn't have a holding or block in the back penalty on almost every punt and kick.    Scott was in a slump for a couple of weeks but otherwise ST IMO improved over the year before.

Not according to the Dallas News sports reporter who does the annual special teams rankings.  Somewhere I saw he rated the Packers special teams somewhere around 29-30th for the year for their overall play.  That's not much improvement if any.  The Saints hired the guy we had in but didn't want to pay.  His special teams ended up #1 in the league.

2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Not according to the Dallas News sports reporter who does the annual special teams rankings.  Somewhere I saw he rated the Packers special teams somewhere around 29-30th for the year for their overall play.  That's not much improvement if any.  The Saints hired the guy we had in but didn't want to pay.  His special teams ended up #1 in the league.

Yes, that was disappointing we didn't want to pay that coach.  ¬¬ 

What ranking did our ST have in 2018?  

Let's face it, our ST's has been a joke for the better half of the decade. It cost us a trip to the Super Bowl in 2014, it cost us other games, it's been a constant disappointment. You'd think we would've realized that if we wanted any sort of improvement, we would've ponied up for Rizzi. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

Let's face it, our ST's has been a joke for the better half of the decade. It cost us a trip to the Super Bowl in 2014, it cost us other games, it's been a constant disappointment. You'd think we would've realized that if we wanted any sort of improvement, we would've ponied up for Rizzi. 

Penney wise and pound foolish!  Let's spend millions on players and pennies on coaches to lead them.  Unreal .. big mistake.

22 hours ago, Pugger said:

When did Bennett leave us?

I think McCarthy promoted him to OC in '17 and then sacked him after that season when the offense underperformed - which after '18 and '19 we know that there were other issues with the offense. 

When he was coaching RBs and WRs, you could see their performance tick up. I feel like his problems as OC were less with his coaching ability (though it's possible the Peter Principle was in effect) and more just the state of Green Bay at that time. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 12:51 AM, PossibleCabbage said:

i remember reading last offseason that Matt LaFleur wanted to hire Mike LaFleur as the WR coach but couldn't because he was under contract with the 49ers for another season.

I thought MLF wanted MLF2 as OC?

Anyway, dosen't look like MLF2 will be available but MLF wanted him.  Wonder if MLF canned Alvis to get his brother then SF essentially worked to block him from GB again ?

The San Francisco 49ers have started keeping the band together. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers have worked out a new contract with passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur. Schefter says LaFleur planned to go to Green Bay once his contract expired to join brother Matt. The 49ers put a stop to that it looks like.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/2/21119200/49ers-coaching-contract-news-mike-lafleur-extension-green-bay

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874302-49ers-mike-lafleur-reportedly-agreed-on-new-contract-amid-packers-rumors

Edited by Arthur Penske

On 2/1/2020 at 8:02 AM, Pugger said:

Once we got a decent returner I was pretty happy with ST.  The one thing that was a major improvement was we didn't have a holding or block in the back penalty on almost every punt and kick.    Scott was in a slump for a couple of weeks but otherwise ST IMO improved over the year before.

Yeah, the improvement after they added Ervin was noticeable.   Hard for the ST coach to create a good unit when the returner is bad.  Having some speed and quickness helped.  

That's helped at RB too, with Jones.  

I'd love to see us try that at WR, too!  

OK, well, then maybe TE also?  

• Like 1