Packers Part way with WR coach Alvis Whitted

Jaire_Island

I'm surprised yet not so surprised either. Still waiting on Shawn Mennenga firing though. xD

Last year he interviewed Shawn Jefferson, Karl Dorrell, Wes Welker for WR coach. Unfortunately all of them are currently employed.

Its possible the timing of the firing suggests LaFleur has his eye on one of the 49ers offensive assistants. Bobby Slowik whom LaFleur is very familar with from his time in Washington and I think his father is Bob Slowik who was the Packers defensive coordinator about 15 years ago,  or Katie Sowers who has some experience coaching WRs. Taylor Embree is another offensive assistant to consider and he's a former WR, in fact LaFleur knows his father John Embree who is the assistant head coach/TE coach of the 49ers. Maybe Welker is available for a lateral move but I find that highly unlikely. I see Miles Austin is there as a quality control coach.

Another inexperienced name to consider is Luke Steckel from the Titans who is an assistant been helping out with WRs for the past 3 years.

There's Liam Coen the assistant WR coach under McVay. He's only in his 2nd season coaching WRs.

Honestly I think LaFleur will want someone with some experience to bring the best out of his under performing WR group. He doesn't have a large pool of coaches to choose from,  he might be forced to look outside his circle just as he did with Whitted.

There are some WR coaches that LaFleur worked with in the past but are currently holding NFL jobs such as Keenan McCardell, Rob Moore and Eric Yarber.

He also worked with Ike Hilliard at Washington who is very available right now. He did a good job with Terry McLaurin this year. 

There's the 49ers connection with Rich Scangarello. He's familar with the offensive concepts and knows LaFleur from the Falcons. However coaching WRs at NFL level will be new for him after having coached QB and offensive coordinator in his previous NFL stops. The last time he coached WRs was at UC Davis way back in 2004-2008.

Looking outside the box there's Darrell Hazell who was responsible for the development of Thielen and Diggs. He's "retired" but he's only 55 years old. Philadelphia recently fired OC Mike Groh. He was the WR coach when the Eagles won the superbowl.

EDIT: I'm trying to think outside the box atm. LaFleur worked with the likes of Mike Pettine, Dan Quinn,  Sean McVay, Jim Haslett, Richard Smith and Dean Pees so he might tap those guys up for recommendations. However looking through these guys coaching histories and whom they worked with there doesn't appear to be many viable options, Tyke Tolbert is a name that comes up quite often but he's currently the Giants WR coach. 

Both Pettine and Haslett worked with Henry Ellard, the WR coach of the "greatest show on turf" St Louis Rams. Well... he's been out of the NFL for 6 years and is currently the head coach of some high school football team.  He's "only" 58. 

Pettine was on the same staff as Sanjay Lal in 2012 at the Jets. He coached the Cowboys receivers this season but McCarthy opted not to keep him.

Edited by Chili

25 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm surprised yet not so surprised either. Still waiting on Shawn Mennenga firing though. xD

Last year he interviewed Shawn Jefferson, Karl Dorrell, Wes Welker for WR coach. Unfortunately all of them are currently employed.

Its possible the timing of the firing suggests LaFleur has his eye on one of the 49ers offensive assistants. Bobby Slowik whom LaFleur is very familar with from his time in Washington and I think his father is Bob Slowik who was the Packers defensive coordinator about 15 years ago,  or Katie Sowers who has some experience coaching WRs. Maybe Welker is available for a lateral move but I find that highly unlikely. I see Miles Austin is there as a quality control coach. Another inexperienced name to consider is Luke Steckel from the Titans who is an assistant been helping out with WRs for the past 3 years.

Honestly I think LaFleur will want someone with some experience to bring the best out of his under performing WR group. He doesn't have a large pool of coaches to choose from,  he might be forced to look outside just as he did with Whitted.

There are some WR coaches that LaFleur worked with in the past but are currently holding NFL jobs such as Keenan McCardell, Rob Moore and Eric Yarber.

He also worked with Ike Hilliard at Washington who is very available right now.

Looking outside the box there's Darrell Hazell who was responsible for the development of Thielen and Diggs. He's "retired" but he's only 55 years old.

I would hope it wouldn't turn out to be a "like father like son" moment if we went that direction. I seem to remember some horrible defenses under the elder Slowik...

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Its possible the timing of the firing suggests LaFleur has his eye on one of the 49ers offensive assistants. Bobby Slowik whom LaFleur is very familar with from his time in Washington and I think his father is Bob Slowik who was the Packers defensive coordinator about 15 years ago,  or Katie Sowers who has some experience coaching WRs. Maybe Welker is available for a lateral move but I find that highly unlikely. I see Miles Austin is there as a quality control coach. Another inexperienced name to consider is Luke Steckel from the Titans who is an assistant been helping out with WRs for the past 3 years.

Honestly I think LaFleur will want someone with some experience to bring the best out of his under performing WR group. He doesn't have a large pool of coaches to choose from,  he might be forced to look outside just as he did with Whitted.

He also worked with Ike Hilliard at Washington who is very available right now.

Looking outside the box there's Darrell Hazell who was responsible for the development of Thielen and Diggs. He's "retired" but he's only 55 years old.

I can't tell if you are serious here or not.  If you are, why do you feel Mennenga should go?  Just curious...

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Its possible the timing of the firing suggests LaFleur has his eye on one of the 49ers offensive assistants. Bobby Slowik whom LaFleur is very familar with from his time in Washington and I think his father is Bob Slowik who was the Packers defensive coordinator about 15 years ago,  or Katie Sowers who has some experience coaching WRs. Taylor Embree is another offensive assistant to consider and he's a former WR, in fact LaFleur knows his father John Embree who is the assistant head coach/TE coach of the 49ers. Maybe Welker is available for a lateral move but I find that highly unlikely. I see Miles Austin is there as a quality control coach.

Another inexperienced name to consider is Luke Steckel from the Titans who is an assistant been helping out with WRs for the past 3 years.

There's Liam Coen the assistant WR coach under McVay. He's only in his 2nd season coaching WRs.

Honestly I think LaFleur will want someone with some experience to bring the best out of his under performing WR group. He doesn't have a large pool of coaches to choose from,  he might be forced to look outside his circle just as he did with Whitted.

He also worked with Ike Hilliard at Washington who is very available right now. He did a good job with Terry McLaurin this year. 

There's the 49ers connection with Rich Scangarello. He's familar with the offensive concepts and knows LaFleur from the Falcons. However coaching WRs at NFL level will be new for him after having coached QB and offensive coordinator in his previous NFL stops. The last time he coached WRs was at UC Davis way back in 2004-2008.

Looking outside the box there's Darrell Hazell who was responsible for the development of Thielen and Diggs. He's "retired" but he's only 55 years old. Philadelphia recently fired OC Mike Groh. He was the WR coach when the Eagles won the superbowl.

EDIT: I'm trying to think outside the box atm. LaFleur worked with the likes of Mike Pettine, Dan Quinn,  Sean McVay, Jim Haslett, Richard Smith and Dean Pees so he might tap those guys up for recommendations. However looking through these guys coaching histories and whom they worked with there doesn't appear to be many viable options, Tyke Tolbert is a name that comes up quite often but he's currently the Giants WR coach. 

Both Pettine and Haslett worked with Henry Ellard, the WR coach of the "greatest show on turf" St Louis Rams. Well... he's been out of the NFL for 6 years and is currently the head coach of some high school football team.  He's "only" 58. 

Pettine was on the same staff as Sanjay Lal in 2012 at the Jets. He coached the Cowboys receivers this season but McCarthy opted not to keep him.

Welker is not available for a lateral move. I heard that they are interested with him with possibly given a position as passing game coordinator (Glorified WR Coach).

12 hours ago, coachbuns said:

His special teams weren't much better than last year ... toward the bottom of the league ... again.

Once we got a decent returner I was pretty happy with ST.  The one thing that was a major improvement was we didn't have a holding or block in the back penalty on almost every punt and kick.    Scott was in a slump for a couple of weeks but otherwise ST IMO improved over the year before.