Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jaire_Island

Packers Part way with WR coach Alvis Whitted

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I thought Edgar Bennett was unemployed, but he's with the Raiders right now. RBs and WRs performed at a high level under him, and IMO he was scapegoated for systemic failures on offense. 

When did Bennett leave us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Once we got a decent returner I was pretty happy with ST.  The one thing that was a major improvement was we didn't have a holding or block in the back penalty on almost every punt and kick.    Scott was in a slump for a couple of weeks but otherwise ST IMO improved over the year before.

Not according to the Dallas News sports reporter who does the annual special teams rankings.  Somewhere I saw he rated the Packers special teams somewhere around 29-30th for the year for their overall play.  That's not much improvement if any.  The Saints hired the guy we had in but didn't want to pay.  His special teams ended up #1 in the league.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Not according to the Dallas News sports reporter who does the annual special teams rankings.  Somewhere I saw he rated the Packers special teams somewhere around 29-30th for the year for their overall play.  That's not much improvement if any.  The Saints hired the guy we had in but didn't want to pay.  His special teams ended up #1 in the league.

 

 

Yes, that was disappointing we didn't want to pay that coach.  ¬¬ 

What ranking did our ST have in 2018?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, that was disappointing we didn't want to pay that coach.  ¬¬ 

What ranking did our ST have in 2018?  

32nd in '18 .. 26th in '19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it, our ST's has been a joke for the better half of the decade. It cost us a trip to the Super Bowl in 2014, it cost us other games, it's been a constant disappointment. You'd think we would've realized that if we wanted any sort of improvement, we would've ponied up for Rizzi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Joe said:

Let's face it, our ST's has been a joke for the better half of the decade. It cost us a trip to the Super Bowl in 2014, it cost us other games, it's been a constant disappointment. You'd think we would've realized that if we wanted any sort of improvement, we would've ponied up for Rizzi. 

Penney wise and pound foolish!  Let's spend millions on players and pennies on coaches to lead them.  Unreal .. big mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

32nd in '18 .. 26th in '19.

We were 18th in 2019 in DVOA and 29th in 2018. So at least there was improvement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta think our punt return unit until Ervin came along is what really dragged that ranking down. IIRC prior to Ervin our punt returners had a combined -8 yards for the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pugger said:

When did Bennett leave us?

I think McCarthy promoted him to OC in '17 and then sacked him after that season when the offense underperformed - which after '18 and '19 we know that there were other issues with the offense. 

When he was coaching RBs and WRs, you could see their performance tick up. I feel like his problems as OC were less with his coaching ability (though it's possible the Peter Principle was in effect) and more just the state of Green Bay at that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

We were 18th in 2019 in DVOA and 29th in 2018. So at least there was improvement!

Nolan Cromwell wept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, {Family Ghost} said:

32nd in '18 .. 26th in '19.

I think that not having a KR/PR for most of the season hurt 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 12:51 AM, PossibleCabbage said:

i remember reading last offseason that Matt LaFleur wanted to hire Mike LaFleur as the WR coach but couldn't because he was under contract with the 49ers for another season.

I thought MLF wanted MLF2 as OC?

 

Anyway, dosen't look like MLF2 will be available but MLF wanted him.  Wonder if MLF canned Alvis to get his brother then SF essentially worked to block him from GB again ?

Quote

The San Francisco 49ers have started keeping the band together. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers have worked out a new contract with passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur. Schefter says LaFleur planned to go to Green Bay once his contract expired to join brother Matt. The 49ers put a stop to that it looks like.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/2/21119200/49ers-coaching-contract-news-mike-lafleur-extension-green-bay

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874302-49ers-mike-lafleur-reportedly-agreed-on-new-contract-amid-packers-rumors

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 8:02 AM, Pugger said:

Once we got a decent returner I was pretty happy with ST.  The one thing that was a major improvement was we didn't have a holding or block in the back penalty on almost every punt and kick.    Scott was in a slump for a couple of weeks but otherwise ST IMO improved over the year before.

Yeah, the improvement after they added Ervin was noticeable.   Hard for the ST coach to create a good unit when the returner is bad.  Having some speed and quickness helped.  

That's helped at RB too, with Jones.  

I'd love to see us try that at WR, too!  

OK, well, then maybe TE also?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×