Tua's family says no to Detroit

LionArkie

5 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I was thinking one of the advantages would be leap frogging us at two if we could make it believed we might go after him.  I'd rather trade down, but in a leap frog scenario, Young could fall to us at 3.

That would be ideal, but not sure this matters.  Also I think if we want to draft him and think he is that good, we will, but I think given the reasons they dont want him here, are the same reasons why Quin wouldn't draft him.  

I feel like there are endless scenarios that would make me happy, most involving a trade down and landing one of four or five players.  My fear is we will stay at 3 and not draft one of those four or five players and end up with Wirfs or Kinlaw at 3, which just isn't a value pick. 

• Like 1

Here's a key quote from that article:

There apparently isn’t a lot of love for the Lions from the Tagovailoa family, according to a report in the Miami Herald: "Sources close to Tagovailoas say the Alabama quarterback would love for the Dolphins to trade up to No. 3 to select him. Those same sources say they don’t love the idea of Detroit actually picking Tua because of the arc of that team’s current coaching situation.

“The Lions will be playing their third season under Matt Patricia in 2020. He has a 9-22-1 record his first two seasons and the Tagovailoas are concerned another poor season could force the Lions to fire Patricia -- putting the quarterback in the uncertain 2021 situation of being a draft pick the new coach didn’t make.”

According to the article, his only dislike for the Lions pertains to the uncertainty surrounding the coaching staff. That's a pretty telling statement: the approach from the Fords in committing to Patricia and Co. for only one more year really does change the way players view this team. That's a big concern.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That would be ideal, but not sure this matters.  Also I think if we want to draft him and think he is that good, we will, but I think given the reasons they dont want him here, are the same reasons why Quin wouldn't draft him.  

I feel like there are endless scenarios that would make me happy, most involving a trade down and landing one of four or five players.  My fear is we will stay at 3 and not draft one of those four or five players and end up with Wirfs or Kinlaw at 3, which just isn't a value pick. 

Thanks. Now I won't sleep tonight.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I caught that too.  I think to stand any chance, Quinn and company cannot rely on the draft. He is going to have to open the purse strings for FA.  I wonder how much control Wood has over that?

We are in a good position for FA although there are a bunch of teams with WAY more cap space than we have. Not sure we're going to spend our way out of things but I also don't know if we need to. 

As for Tua, that makes some sense. He doesn't want to wind up like Josh Rosen or potentially Dwayne Haskins. Unless you're a proven guy, that level of uncertainty can be hindrance. 

• Like 1

I believe that the Lions need to start pushing - hard - the narrative that they're taking Tua at #3. If his health checks out, this may convince one of the QB-needy teams from 5-7 to hand Washington a king's ransom and jump Detroit for Tua, handing us Young.

We lose nothing with this approach, but could potentially land Young by selling it.

• Like 1

And then meanwhile, his agent came out and said he'd be happy to play here. Which I'm sure is some playing-nice BS, and the story about his family is true, but it's all par for the course.

Look, this is why they have a draft. No player coming into the league who isn't a dummy would want to play for the Lions. They never win and Detroit is a lousy city to live in, mediocre at best if you count the suburbs. Players come here and hope to do well enough to get to their veteran contract. 

7 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

And then meanwhile, his agent came out and said he'd be happy to play here. Which I'm sure is some playing-nice BS, and the story about his family is true, but it's all par for the course.

Look, this is why they have a draft. No player coming into the league who isn't a dummy would want to play for the Lions. They never win and Detroit is a lousy city to live in, mediocre at best if you count the suburbs. Players come here and hope to do well enough to get to their veteran contract. 

Eh, there are some really nice suburbs. There are nicer cities, of course, but worse cities as well. I'd hope that a prospect is more concerned with the roster and coaches.

1 hour ago, MortexLion said:

But why is this even a conversation we don't need tua period! 

Perhaps short term.

Stafford will turn 32 before the start of the season, and his back has to be a concern. If Stafford retires in two years, and Tua is a franchise QB at that time, we may look back and see a missed opportunity.