Goldfish's 7 Rounds (Updated 04/01/2020)

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Got nothing to do with whether he fits the profile. We're talking about the 3rd overall pick here. You don't take a profile fit at #3 overall. You take your shot at a franchise changing player at #3 if one is there, and in this draft there are three.

When the experts talk of premium positions, they talk about: 1) Quarterback; 2) Pass-rusher; 3)Left Tackle; 4) Cornerback

If Okudah is the guy they say he is, this is Darrelle Revis in his prime. Then we look at fit - he fits the size profile for what the Lions want to do in that Patriots man heavy scheme. So we aren't looking at a great player being asked to do what he's not good at and what he's not built for. 

So we have a guy that plays a premium position and is a fit for what the team wants athletically/skills wise. I'd rather that we grabbed him in a trade down with Miami but he's still a difference making player. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

When the experts talk of premium positions, they talk about: 1) Quarterback; 2) Pass-rusher; 3)Left Tackle; 4) Cornerback

If Okudah is the guy they say he is, this is Darrelle Revis in his prime. Then we look at fit - he fits the size profile for what the Lions want to do in that Patriots man heavy scheme. So we aren't looking at a great player being asked to do what he's not good at and what he's not built for. 

So we have a guy that plays a premium position and is a fit for what the team wants athletically/skills wise. I'd rather that we grabbed him in a trade down with Miami but he's still a difference making player. 

Darrelle Revis, Patrick Ramsey, even Deion, none of them changed their franchises. Cornerbacks can't do that.

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Darrelle Revis, Patrick Ramsey, even Deion, none of them changed their franchises. Cornerbacks can't do that.

Suh didn't change our franchise either. Derrick Brown is a good player but he's not the guy who is going to turn the Lions on their head. 

On 1/31/2020 at 5:49 PM, scar988 said:

At CB they have Trufant, Oliver and Sheffield who they believe in. They have Neal, Allen and Kazee at S. There's not a need for either spot until late for depth. They have actual needs for additional edge rushing and on the offensive line that needs to be addressed way earlier than you have them doing so. this makes a lot more sense than what you have.

You can make a case for Trufant being hurt affecting his level of play, however he's getting up there in age and it's not unreasonable to want a guy that can be his successor one day. However, Oliver was not even replacement level for most of the year (he did improve later on in the year, but are you really just going to assume he's going to be great in 2020 based on that? You've got way more faith than I do)  and Kazee was straight up atrocious at Free Safety (no, picks don't make up for not being able to tackle). Sheffield is an unknown x-factor, nobody really knows what his play in 2020 is going to be like. 2020 will most likely be Keanu Neal's final season and with his injuries, I don't expect him to be very good (that's not his fault of course, but it is what it is).

It's not indefensible for the Falcons to invest in secondary. The Falcons were 2nd in pass rush win rate in the NFL in 2020, according to ESPN's advanced metrics. That would indicate that the Falcons were getting consistent pressure, but due to the secondary being unable to cover anything, it didn't matter. I still think the focus should be on the pass rush, because I think it's far easier to get great pass rushers in the draft than it is to find elite secondary players. So the opportunity cost of drafting guys on defense still favors the pass rush, but if the Falcons go to the way of addressing the secondary, it's totally a reasonable move.

Offensive line... I think will actually be fine in the short term, at least until Mack retires. Left Guard is the only position that needs to be looked at, and spending a top 3 round pick on that position would be fine with me. McGary was bad, but rookie tackles are usually trash anyway, so there's reason to think that he can grow into 2020 and 2021. Tackles don't really hit their stride until year 3. This is why the Falcons needed to be spending premium draft capital on OL years ago, because these guys don't become legitimate OL immediately, they take time to develop.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

You're right. They need to draft Tua, Burrow or Young, and the last two will probably be taken.

I'm not opposed to trading up for Young depending on what the overall cost is. The alternative is throwing a whole bunch of darts at a variety of guys, filling holes and hoping you hit on a few of them. Especially if you can get them at premium positions. Which is why I'm more in favour of a trade down, taking Okudah as BPA/premium player + adding a guy like Anae later in the draft. 

It's still early for me but Okudah seems to be the better corner prospect over the next guy that will be there for us in rd 2 vs Brown being better than the next DT prospect in the same round. 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

Philadelphia

21. Tee Higgins [ WR ] Clemson
53. A.J. Terrell [ CB ] Clemson

85. Jeremy Chinn [ S ] Southern Illinois
103. Troy Dye [ LB ] Oregon
124. Collin Johnson [ WR ] Texas
140. Jake Hanson [ IOL ] Oregon
165. Jabari Zuniga [ EDGE ] Florida
167. AJ Dillon [ RB ] Boston College
189. James Proche [ WR ] SMU

Fantastic picks. 

Don't frankly know much about the other guys you have us taking.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

63. Seattle (From San Francisco) - Denzel Mims [ WR ] Baylor
64. Kansas City  - Bryce Hall [ CB ] Virginia

KC owns 63 and Seattle has 64.

KC traded away the worst of their 2nd round picks.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

32. Zach Baun [ LB ] Wisconsin
64. Bryce Hall [ CB ] Virginia
96. Darryl Williams [ IOL ] Mississippi State
135. Zack Moss [ RB ] Utah
176. Alohi Gilman [ S ] Notre Dame

I don't love it anymore, but it's alright. Safety isn't a need at all. We have our two starters set, although Thornhill's return date is tbd. Our depth is solid as well.

Give us BPA WR in the 5th. I'd also prefer Brycen Hopkins in the 2nd, but Hall is ok if we don't re-sign our free agent CBs.

NY Jets

11. Jedrick Wills [ OT ] Alabama  Fine.
48. Curtis Weaver [ EDGE ] Boise State Fine.
68. K.J. Hamler [ WR ] Penn State
79. Matt Hennessy [ IOL ] Temple Fine.
117. Hunter Bryant [ TE ] Washington
157. Joshua Kelley [ RB ] UCLA Fine.
190. Cameron Brown [ LB ] Penn State
224. Aaron Parker [ WR ] Rhode Island  Don't currently own 7th round pick.

Jets already have Crowder for inside so they don't really need to draft two ( Hamler and Bryant). One of them is all right.  Also, Jets have Williamson, Mosley and Cashman under contract as well as Jets may re-sign Hewitt so I don't feel the need for Jets to draft LB anywhere.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

Buffalo

22. K'Lavon Chaisson [ EDGE ] LSU
54. Jalen Reagor [ WR ] TCU
86. Damien Lewis [ IOL ] LSU
125. Larrell Murchison [ IDL ] NC State
154. Anthony McFarland [ RB ] Maryland
166. Devin Duvernay [ WR ] Texas
187. AJ Green [ CB ] Oklahoma State
200. Joe Gaziano [ EDGE ] Northwestern U
206. Joseph Charlton [ P ] South Carolina

I like this a lot!