NCAA investigating one-time transfer without 1 year sitting out

buno67

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-proposal-would-allow-every-athlete-to-transfer-once-without-sitting-out-a-year/

“The Big Ten quietly proposed legislation last year that would allow players in every sport to transfer once in their careers without sitting out a year in residence at their new institution. If adopted, the legislation would mark one of the biggest competitive changes in the history of college sports.

Football and basketball coaches who have been critical of recent changes in the transfer process would have their worst fears realized -- essentially, one-time free agency would be available for all college athletes...”

The NCAA was almost there last year. This would just clear things up and keep the BS, made-up excuses for waivers from happening if it goes through. Until then, the NCAA can continue to just pick and choose which waivers to grant, but I don’t think it will be long until this is a reality. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I think this is why I am a little hesitant. The rich get richer. 

It just makes me LOL that the Big 10 wants to do this. Where the F do they think their players will want to go?

It’d be really awful accepting Rondale Moore and George Karlaftis from Purdue.

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Because those players aren’t as good most likely. 

Disagree. The main reason I say that is Dwayne Haskins. He was, in every way, better than JT Barrett. Urban loved his seniors and I'm sure he's not the only coach like this. Had Dwayne had the ability to transfer without penalty, he might've done it. There might be some back story I'm not aware of but he's not the only example of this. Your scenario is absolutely true at times but there are examples that contradict it

4 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Disagree. The main reason I say that is Dwayne Haskins. He was, in every way, better than JT Barrett. Urban loved his seniors and I'm sure he's not the only coach like this. Had Dwayne had the ability to transfer without penalty, he might've done it. There might be some back story I'm not aware of but he's not the only example of this. Your scenario is absolutely true at times but there are examples that contradict it

It's not 100%, I know. But for every one scenario you just mentioned, it is my belief you'll have two the other way. Something like that. 

5 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

If he Haskins transfers, it means Burrows stays on the team...

also that last year with JTB, I doubt the outcome is any different tho. The loses prolly change from different opponents but the overall record doesn’t IMO

20 hours ago, candyman93 said:

That would change recruiting too.

Would be kinda crazy to see all Americans transfer to Clemson, Alabama, and OSU.

I think you would see some top guys from the lesser programs go big time to help draft stock and make money off their likeness once the NCAA changes that rule. Also see it helping teams loaded with top recruits who start to get buried, transfer to a better situation. Some guys ended up wasting at least 2 years of playing time. You know they don’t want to sit out a year so they stay hoping they can change their status on the depth chart and in the end it doesn’t work. So they wasted a year at school A and now have to waste a year sitting out cause they left school A to go to school B. If there is a one time waiver, guys will be willing to transfer sooner. Def will help out the smaller schools IMO

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 8:05 AM, buno67 said:

I think you would see some top guys from the lesser programs go big time to help draft stock and make money off their likeness once the NCAA changes that rule. Also see it helping teams loaded with top recruits who start to get buried, transfer to a better situation. Some guys ended up wasting at least 2 years of playing time. You know they don’t want to sit out a year so they stay hoping they can change their status on the depth chart and in the end it doesn’t work. So they wasted a year at school A and now have to waste a year sitting out cause they left school A to go to school B. If there is a one time waiver, guys will be willing to transfer sooner. Def will help out the smaller schools IMO

I think in the beginning you will see a lot of movement.  However, the end result may be what we are seeing now, and even less, because with free movement I think players will ultimately settle a little bit more.  

There will always be some grad transfers who move around chasing a deep run, or wanting to go to a specific coach to groom them for the draft, but a free movement system would really force coaches to be up front with players more instead of the risk of losing them and causing turnover in the program.  That has a net negative in the end.  Also, players will be more wary of transferring because they don't want to lose their spot, or waste their free chance to transfer early.