Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Packerraymond

Packerraymond Mock Off-season V2

Recommended Posts

So I like to do these scenario based mocks and not always a "what I would do" version because a lot of us would do the same types of things, so they get redundant and we're all idiots and not NFL GM's so it's pointless anyway. Today's mock is based off Gute's end of season presser. I've personally been hammering on fixing the DL through FA and drafting the offense, what if Gute doesn't? He admitted he looked into acquiring explosive playmakers and wanted speed at ILB. So this mock centers around that.

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham, Lane Taylor

Re-Signed Packers:

Brian Bulaga (3/36; 7.5)

Mason Crosby (3/11 ; 2.5)

Tyler Ervin ( 1/1.5)

Marcedes Lewis (1/2)

Jared Veldheer (1/3)

Free Agent Signings:

Robby Anderson WR (4/48 ; 7) : Talks that Gute tried to land him before the deadline, he comes right in and targets him in FA. I have my doubts with Rodgers deep ball that he'll be utilized to his full potential here, but he's definitely a big play waiting to happen and someone who you must respect on the field. He's just happy to get paid and get out of the trainwreck that is the Jets offense.

Eric Ebron TE: (3/27 ; 7) : A move TE that's a better fit for Rodgers than Jimmy was. Ebron took off with Luck as his QB and lost quite some money this year with injuries and the decrease in talent to Brissett. Hopefully Rodgers utilizes him like Cook and Finley. 

Kevin Pierre-Louis ILB (3/18 ; 5) : Speed at ILB. Pierre-Louis has been behind Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Trevathan and Roquan his entire career. He's given the keys to a defense in GB as their #1 ILB. 4.5 speed, 39" vert, he's fast and explosive. Just what Pettine supposedly wants.

Kamu Grugier-Hill LB/S (3/18 ; 5) : SS converted to LB, special teams captain in Philly but leaves for a defensive contributor sized contract here. 4.45 @ 210 pounds at his pro day. Probably in the 220s now. Will start over Raven Greene at the much utilized dime backer spot in our defense. Again added speed at that spot, one that will continue to see the field more and more for NFL defenses.

The Draft:

Round 1: Laviska Shenault 6'2 220 WR

School: Colorado

Well the reformation to the second year of Matt LaFleur's offense is complete. Added are Anderson, Ebron and Shenault. Shenault is the literal definition of explosive playmaker, which is the term Gute used when asked what he wanted to add at last years trade deadline. Adams and Shenault can rotate out of the slot, and there's a ton you can do with his skillset. Our 4 top pass catchers go from Adams, Lazard, Kumerow, Graham to Adams, Anderson, Shenault, Ebron and Gute does it again in a single offseason. No excuses for Rodgers in this offense.

 

Round 2: Raekwon Davis 6'7 305 DL

School: Alabama

If Davis was allowed to come out after his soph year, you'd be looking at a top 10 pick, since that year he's accumulated 8.5 TFL and 2 sacks, pedestrian numbers for one year, let alone 2. Still Davis is a DL coaches dream when it comes to his build and athletic skillset. He definitely stagnated in his development at Bama and probably should've been playing in the NFL this year. With Clark a dominant player at the nose, we need to look for some length to play the 3t and 5t better than our current cast. If you can get Davis to play like soph year, you've stolen a top 10 pick in round 2. Otherwise you probably have a 6'1 310 run plug in the mold of a 6'7 310 guy who will always frustrate you that he cant be more.

 

Round 3: Rashard Lawrence 6'2 310 DL

School: LSU

Lawrence is the kind of mold that seems to fall more than he should based on lack of length. Clark and Daniels fell for similar reasons despite productive tape and NFL ready body. Lawrence is a good fit next to Clark as the 3t. Since we didn't buy a DL, we have to draft one.

 

Round 4: Essang Bassey 5'10 190 CB

School: Wake Forest

Smaller CB with ball skills and athletic ability made for the slot CB position. We lose Tramon and have other holes, so someone between Bassey, Jackson, Holloman and Sullivan will need to play the 3rd and 4th CB. 

 

Round 5: Anthony McFarland 5'9 200 RB

School: Maryland

Explosive, fast, shifty runner who will compete with Dex for the final non ST roster spot at RB. I doubt both Jamaal and Aaron are back after next year so it's probably a year to throw a day 3 pick at a RB again and see if something sticks. McFarland has a very similar skillset to Jones.

 

Round 6: Scott Franz 6'5 305 OT

School: Kansas State

Veldheer, Patrick and Madison are probably your 3 gameday actives. You can draft a guy earlier to be your #8 guy but does that do anything to help 2020's team? No. Take some shots at some late round guys, see if they're better than Madison. Franz is a 3 year starter on the Big 12 and have some strength/footwork combos that would be nice to get a look at in camp.

 

Round 6: Justin Herron 6'4 300 OL

School: Wake Forest

Another late round kid with mobility, seems to be back to the true ZBS era with LaFleur where ability to get to the second level and play in space are truly sought after again. 

 

Round 7: James Morgan 6'4 215 QB

School: FIU

Just have a feeling with the extra 6th and 7th rounders we'll bring our camp QB in via draft pick. Better passer than Wilkins but offers less mobility. We'll see who sticks around on the PS.

 

Round 7: Juwan Johnson 6'4 231 WR

School: Oregon

High level recruit that was never as good as he should've been at Penn State or Oregon. However the H/W/S factor should get him into a camp. Potential here for a nice big slot/h-back like player if he can block a little.

 

*My overall thoughts, I could get on board as long as we're confident in our DL drafting ability. This team isn't winning championships with Dean Lowry and Lancaster being anything more than backups. The offense with Jones, Williams, McFarland, Adams, Anderson, Shenault, Ebron and Sternburger truly do have a chance to be an elite group. Defensively you've added a lot of speed and beef up front, it's not the top of the line prospect/free agent caliber, but it's a noticeable difference. Behind Jaire/King should give you a knot in your stomach, but I just can't spend more high picks or cash at DB and let the others suffer. Time for our new DB coach to get Jackson playing as our #3 along with Sullivan or a 3rd day pick. Overall I'd like our chances with this roster going into 2020. Depth on the OL and CB are thin, hopefully a healthy season there otherwise the train could derail.*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So I like to do these scenario based mocks and not always a "what I would do" version because a lot of us would do the same types of things, so they get redundant and we're all idiots and not NFL GM's so it's pointless anyway. Today's mock is based off Gute's end of season presser. I've personally been hammering on fixing the DL through FA and drafting the offense, what if Gute doesn't? He admitted he looked into acquiring explosive playmakers and wanted speed at ILB. So this mock centers around that.

Cuts:

Jimmy Graham, Lane Taylor

Re-Signed Packers:

Brian Bulaga (3/36; 7.5)

Mason Crosby (3/11 ; 2.5)

Tyler Ervin ( 1/1.5)

Marcedes Lewis (1/2)

Jared Veldheer (1/3)

Free Agent Signings:

Robby Anderson WR (4/48 ; 7) : Talks that Gute tried to land him before the deadline, he comes right in and targets him in FA. I have my doubts with Rodgers deep ball that he'll be utilized to his full potential here, but he's definitely a big play waiting to happen and someone who you must respect on the field. He's just happy to get paid and get out of the trainwreck that is the Jets offense.

Eric Ebron TE: (3/27 ; 7) : A move TE that's a better fit for Rodgers than Jimmy was. Ebron took off with Luck as his QB and lost quite some money this year with injuries and the decrease in talent to Brissett. Hopefully Rodgers utilizes him like Cook and Finley. 

Kevin Pierre-Louis ILB (3/18 ; 5) : Speed at ILB. Pierre-Louis has been behind Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Trevathan and Roquan his entire career. He's given the keys to a defense in GB as their #1 ILB. 4.5 speed, 39" vert, he's fast and explosive. Just what Pettine supposedly wants.

Kamu Grugier-Hill LB/S (3/18 ; 5) : SS converted to LB, special teams captain in Philly but leaves for a defensive contributor sized contract here. 4.45 @ 210 pounds at his pro day. Probably in the 220s now. Will start over Raven Greene at the much utilized dime backer spot in our defense. Again added speed at that spot, one that will continue to see the field more and more for NFL defenses.

The Draft:

Round 1: Laviska Shenault 6'2 220 WR

School: Colorado

Well the reformation to the second year of Matt LaFleur's offense is complete. Added are Anderson, Ebron and Shenault. Shenault is the literal definition of explosive playmaker, which is the term Gute used when asked what he wanted to add at last years trade deadline. Adams and Shenault can rotate out of the slot, and there's a ton you can do with his skillset. Our 4 top pass catchers go from Adams, Lazard, Kumerow, Graham to Adams, Anderson, Shenault, Ebron and Gute does it again in a single offseason. No excuses for Rodgers in this offense.

 

Round 2: Raekwon Davis 6'7 305 DL

School: Alabama

If Davis was allowed to come out after his soph year, you'd be looking at a top 10 pick, since that year he's accumulated 8.5 TFL and 2 sacks, pedestrian numbers for one year, let alone 2. Still Davis is a DL coaches dream when it comes to his build and athletic skillset. He definitely stagnated in his development at Bama and probably should've been playing in the NFL this year. With Clark a dominant player at the nose, we need to look for some length to play the 3t and 5t better than our current cast. If you can get Davis to play like soph year, you've stolen a top 10 pick in round 2. Otherwise you probably have a 6'1 310 run plug in the mold of a 6'7 310 guy who will always frustrate you that he cant be more.

 

Round 3: Rashard Lawrence 6'2 310 DL

School: LSU

Lawrence is the kind of mold that seems to fall more than he should based on lack of length. Clark and Daniels fell for similar reasons despite productive tape and NFL ready body. Lawrence is a good fit next to Clark as the 3t. Since we didn't buy a DL, we have to draft one.

 

Round 4: Essang Bassey 5'10 190 CB

School: Wake Forest

Smaller CB with ball skills and athletic ability made for the slot CB position. We lose Tramon and have other holes, so someone between Bassey, Jackson, Holloman and Sullivan will need to play the 3rd and 4th CB. 

 

Round 5: Anthony McFarland 5'9 200 RB

School: Maryland

Explosive, fast, shifty runner who will compete with Dex for the final non ST roster spot at RB. I doubt both Jamaal and Aaron are back after next year so it's probably a year to throw a day 3 pick at a RB again and see if something sticks. McFarland has a very similar skillset to Jones.

 

Round 6: Scott Franz 6'5 305 OT

School: Kansas State

Veldheer, Patrick and Madison are probably your 3 gameday actives. You can draft a guy earlier to be your #8 guy but does that do anything to help 2020's team? No. Take some shots at some late round guys, see if they're better than Madison. Franz is a 3 year starter on the Big 12 and have some strength/footwork combos that would be nice to get a look at in camp.

 

Round 6: Justin Herron 6'4 300 OL

School: Wake Forest

Another late round kid with mobility, seems to be back to the true ZBS era with LaFleur where ability to get to the second level and play in space are truly sought after again. 

 

Round 7: James Morgan 6'4 215 QB

School: FIU

Just have a feeling with the extra 6th and 7th rounders we'll bring our camp QB in via draft pick. Better passer than Wilkins but offers less mobility. We'll see who sticks around on the PS.

 

Round 7: Juwan Johnson 6'4 231 WR

School: Oregon

High level recruit that was never as good as he should've been at Penn State or Oregon. However the H/W/S factor should get him into a camp. Potential here for a nice big slot/h-back like player if he can block a little.

 

*My overall thoughts, I could get on board as long as we're confident in our DL drafting ability. This team isn't winning championships with Dean Lowry and Lancaster being anything more than backups. The offense with Jones, Williams, McFarland, Adams, Anderson, Shenault, Ebron and Sternburger truly do have a chance to be an elite group. Defensively you've added a lot of speed and beef up front, it's not the top of the line prospect/free agent caliber, but it's a noticeable difference. Behind Jaire/King should give you a knot in your stomach, but I just can't spend more high picks or cash at DB and let the others suffer. Time for our new DB coach to get Jackson playing as our #3 along with Sullivan or a 3rd day pick. Overall I'd like our chances with this roster going into 2020. Depth on the OL and CB are thin, hopefully a healthy season there otherwise the train could derail.*

Don't know much about your drafts picks.  However, I really like the overall thought process of your free agents and drafting.  Nicely done and would be good with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you really want Anderson or is this just a "what if?" He scares me a bit because you're going to have to overpay him for projected success. Obviously it worked for the Smiths, but something about Anderson doesn't thrill me. Not a ton of other WR options though in the market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Do you really want Anderson or is this just a "what if?" He scares me a bit because you're going to have to overpay him for projected success. Obviously it worked for the Smiths, but something about Anderson doesn't thrill me. Not a ton of other WR options though in the market. 

He'd be my top choice if I had to pay a WR more than 5 per, but I don't want to pay a WR more than 5 per. It just sounds to me like Gute does, and I don't want Cooper, Green or Sanders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He'd be my top choice if I had to pay a WR more than 5 per, but I don't want to pay a WR more than 5 per. It just sounds to me like Gute does, and I don't want Cooper, Green or Sanders.

I still have a thing for Sanders. Just feel like he'd be perfect for us at least next year, maybe 2 especially if we couple him with a speedy rook in round 1 or 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should we be concerned about Shenault's injury history?  I'm a little afraid of him because of that.  Can't decide if I'm being irrational or if I'm justified in my concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Should we be concerned about Shenault's injury history?  I'm a little afraid of him because of that.  Can't decide if I'm being irrational or if I'm justified in my concerns.

Toe, shoulder, core. Those are his listed injuries he missed time with. Concerning he's missed 4 games over the last 2 years, yeah a little. That's probably the only reason we'd have a shot at 30 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Should we be concerned about Shenault's injury history?  I'm a little afraid of him because of that.  Can't decide if I'm being irrational or if I'm justified in my concerns.

Deebo had even more concerning injuries in college. Shenault is Deebo 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Toe, shoulder, core. Those are his listed injuries he missed time with. Concerning he's missed 4 games over the last 2 years, yeah a little. That's probably the only reason we'd have a shot at 30 though.

I just don't want to end up with another AJ Green situation.  I thought he had missed more than 4 games over the past 2 years, though.  While not great, it's not a terrible amount of missed time, either.

 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Deebo had even more concerning injuries in college. Shenault is Deebo 2020. 

Didn't know that.  Wouldn't be upset with Deebo 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I could see something pretty similar to this. I've got a 3rd on Raekwon but he's interesting because he just cant be pushed and he moves real well at size.. you'd think you could draw something out of him. Getting a Chris Canty would be tight.. I could get talked into it that late in the 2nd. Bottom line is our DL have to be capable of winning 1 on 1's fairly consistently if we're not gonna bring some blitzes. Better have a real feel that Davis will turn it on.

Ebron is sketchy, idk where else you really put it though if Gute feels like Mont/Keke are going to turn things on next year.. personally would go DB but I'd be with it.

This isn't firing me up, but I've also yet to turn on Laviska and Lawrence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you are right about Shenault dropping to #30 due to injury concerns. I think he would be a great fit, too, but all kinds of mocks have him going in the middle of Round One. Since you are not resigning Martinez, I am wondering if you see any hope for Burks, Bolton or Summers--or are they pretty much just backup material?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Should we be concerned about Shenault's injury history?  I'm a little afraid of him because of that.  Can't decide if I'm being irrational or if I'm justified in my concerns.

No, others feel the same. So do I. I love how he plays--likes to run over people rather than around, aka "Choo Choo Baby" (Sterling Sharpe).  He reminds me so much of Sammy Watkins when he came out. But yeah, I fear he'll have durability issues if he continues his style of play. Also, reports are that he ran a limited route tree and so has alot to learn as far as route running. Then again, that is the case with alot of WR's when they come out of college. I'd prefer a Raegor in the 2nd to a Shenault in the 1st, but wouldn't complain if Shenault were taken. Now, if only Jeudy would somehow fall to pick 30. Pipe dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for not trading down from 30. That's getting really boring to read 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the work! Best one I've read so far. The only changes I would make would be to drop Anderson and Ebron and use the cap savings to sign a top IDL. Then draft another WR in round two or three. I'm OK rolling with Sternberger, Lewis, and Tonyan at TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Deebo had even more concerning injuries in college. Shenault is Deebo 2020. 

I don’t think the Deebo comp is accurate at all. Deebo ran way better routes and was a semi  polished wr coming out. Shenault is more Cordalle Patterson at this point (super high upside playmaker, but concerning route running). I like Shenault but I do think year 1-2 he’s mostly a gimmick player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×