Sign in to follow this  
jsthomp2007

How good was Atwater

I keep reading profootballtalk and saw that Leroy Butler didn't make the hall of fame. I saw that Palomalu is a shoe in. 

In both comments sections many commentators do understand why Atwater is being considered. I really don't think people understand just how good Atwater was. He made the Pro Bowl every year during his career accept his lady year. He was a tone center. I think his play at the beginning of the Packer Super Bowl set the stage for the Bronco win. And I might be biased because I was at the Okoye hit game.

I dont know. How good was Atwater?

Very well deserved! Quite frankly he single handedly changed games. I still contend he was the true MVP of the packers SB. I’m not sure the broncos win “for John” without Steve 

Broncos HOF alum has doubled in two years. Still work to be done but it’s been a good run.

Would have been a HUGE slap in the face if both Gradishar AND Atwater were denied the HOF. 

The Smiling Assassin was the predecessor to the big, strong, fast safety who closed off the box. He and Dennis Smith were the start of the dominant safety tandem, they ruled the AFC West for years.

13 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Broncos HOF alum has doubled in two years. Still work to be done but it’s been a good run.

I think Gradishar, Shanahan, and Nalen need in.  Other than that, I a not sure who else will get in.  Von when he retires?  

On the PFRA forum, they think that Atwater lowered the standard for players because he only had two first-team All-Pro selections (with very few DPOY votes). However, he made the Pro Bowl eight times, made the All-90's team, and he was dominant in SB 32 (like someone said).

5 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

On the PFRA forum, they think that Atwater lowered the standard for players because he only had two first-team All-Pro selections (with very few DPOY votes). However, he made the Pro Bowl eight times, made the All-90's team, and he was dominant in SB 32 (like someone said).

I think folks are going off statistics.  They never watched Atwater play that much.  If they had, they would have seen how good he was.  I mean, how many receivers dropped passes, short-armed passes, or ended their route to avoid getting hit by Atwater?  There are no stats for that.  

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

And that is stupid logic.  24 players in NFL history have played in 3 SBs and made 8 Pro Bowls.  22 of the 24 are now HOFers, the 2 that currently aren’t are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.  

Absolutely no way you can leave Atwater out of The Hall with those accolades.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think folks are going off statistics.  They never watched Atwater play that much.  If they had, they would have seen how good he was.  I mean, how many receivers dropped passes, short-armed passes, or ended their route to avoid getting hit by Atwater?  There are no stats for that.  

And even then, they're only going off of INT's and PD; Atwater was a box safety. He AVERAGED 132 tackles per season over his first 7 seasons. And through that stretch, he had 6 pro-bowl appearances and 2 all-pro nods. Name another safety in NFL history who can claim those kind of tackle numbers. Polamalu certainly can't. Neither can Dawkins, Reed or Lott. Atwater's only knock is longevity, as he only played for 10 seasons. But when you rack up nearly 1200 bone crunching tackles in those 10 years, it tends to wear your body down a little faster. The people over at PFRA are either stupid, or just being homers.  

13 hours ago, 1234567 said:

And even then, they're only going off of INT's and PD; Atwater was a box safety. He AVERAGED 132 tackles per season over his first 7 seasons. And through that stretch, he had 6 pro-bowl appearances and 2 all-pro nods. Name another safety in NFL history who can claim those kind of tackle numbers. Polamalu certainly can't. Neither can Dawkins, Reed or Lott. Atwater's only knock is longevity, as he only played for 10 seasons. But when you rack up nearly 1200 bone crunching tackles in those 10 years, it tends to wear your body down a little faster. The people over at PFRA are either stupid, or just being homers.  

Would also argue, back in his time playing, the Pro Bowl was a more serious accolade, not an afterthought like it is now. 

He hurt one of his knees during a game and had a procedure done on it.  Denver Bronco fans were worried it might be a season/career ending injury.  The day after the procedure, one of the local stations showed him at Mile High flashing that Hollywood smile while doing jumping jacks.  Priceless!

Steve Atwater was Brian Dawkins before Brian Dawkins was Brian Dawkins, who I considered the best safety of my childhood and teens. Better than Reed. 

Dennis Smith was amazing as well. Steve was Kratos among babies. He and Dennis Smith were what made the 2nd generation Orange Crush.