Stephon Gilmore Is DPOY

goldfishwars

Posted this on r/NFL (what a freakin' trash place; everyone there are idiots)

Imagine a world where there are 6 Cornerbacks who have won DPoTY and one of them is Stephon Gilmore. Not Revis. Not Sherman. Not Williams.  Not Bailey. Not Asomugha. Not Newman (05), not McAllister(06), but Stephon Gilmore. Just doesn't seem right.

• Like 9

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

Posted this on r/NFL (what a freakin' trash place; everyone there are idiots)

Imagine a world where there are 6 Cornerbacks who have won DPoTY and one of them is Stephon Gilmore. Not Revis. Not Sherman. Not Williams.  Not Bailey. Not Asomugha. Not Newman (05), not McAllister(06), but Stephon Gilmore. Just doesn't seem right.

Revis lost out to another DB in '09 (Charles Woodson). We can argue about who deserved it more between the two. Sherman probably deserved it in '13 over Kuechly but the voters pretty clearly value front-7 players over DBs most of the time. Asomugha never really had a year in which he deserved it.

I think Gilmore won this year largely because he was the best player/most important on the best defense in a year in which there was no clear-cut winner.

9 minutes ago, Starless said:

I think Gilmore won this year largely because he was the best player/most important on the best defense in a year in which there was no clear-cut winner.

pretty much. there wasn't really an otherworldly watt/donald/miller type performance out of a front 7 player this year, and if there had been they would've won

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

pretty much. there wasn't really an otherworldly watt/donald/miller type performance out of a front 7 player this year, and if there had been they would've won

I'd argue that TJ Watt, Zadarious Smith, and Shaq Barrett had some pretty dominant seasons. I mean while Barrett would've been 3rd on that list for me right there, he was 1 Sack and 1 TFL from the rare 20/20 season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Someone link the thread when the Patriots signed him, plz. Bills fans were mocking it like crazy.

Best season by a CB since Revis' 09. Gilmore was unbelievable this year.

Because he was a holding machine for the Bills who never even came close to playing at this level. 

Voting broke down as follows...

Stephon Gilmore Patriots CB 21
Chandler Jones Cardinals EDGE 14
TJ Watt Steelers EDGE 10
Shaq Barrett Buccaneers EDGE 2
Danielle Hunter Vikings EDGE 1
Tre'Davious White Bills CB 1
Aaron Donald Rams IDL 1

So basically you have 14 idiots who voted for Chandler Jones.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I'd argue that TJ Watt, Zadarious Smith, and Shaq Barrett had some pretty dominant seasons. I mean while Barrett would've been 3rd on that list for me right there, he was 1 Sack and 1 TFL from the rare 20/20 season.

Yeah people are acting like Barrett didn’t have 19.5 sacks. I’m not saying he should’ve won but I don’t think I’ve seen many more overlooked seasons than the one he just had.

• Like 2