Stephon Gilmore Is DPOY

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Posted this on r/NFL (what a freakin' trash place; everyone there are idiots)

Imagine a world where there are 6 Cornerbacks who have won DPoTY and one of them is Stephon Gilmore. Not Revis. Not Sherman. Not Williams.  Not Bailey. Not Asomugha. Not Newman (05), not McAllister(06), but Stephon Gilmore. Just doesn't seem right.

I agree with this.  Gilmore was awesome, but he was arguably not even the best CB in the league this year.  You could legit argue White had a better season.

37 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Voting broke down as follows...

Stephon Gilmore Patriots CB 21
Chandler Jones Cardinals EDGE 14
TJ Watt Steelers EDGE 10
Shaq Barrett Buccaneers EDGE 2
Danielle Hunter Vikings EDGE 1
Tre'Davious White Bills CB 1
Aaron Donald Rams IDL 1

So basically you have 14 idiots who voted for Chandler Jones.

Chandler Jones gets an insane level of disrespect. I'm glad he at least came in second. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoboRocket said:

Chandler Jones gets an insane level of disrespect. I'm glad he at least came in second. 

Chandler Jones is underrated as a whole. However, in no way shape or form did he outplay Watt, Barrett, or Z Smith this season. He had less tackles for loss, less pressures, less QB hits. Voters looked at sacks and forced fumbles and thats it, IMO.

4 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Chandler Jones is underrated as a whole. However, in no way shape or form did he outplay Watt, Barrett, or Z Smith this season. He had less tackles for loss, less pressures, less QB hits. Voters looked at sacks and forced fumbles and thats it, IMO.

Sacks and forced fumbles are w/o a doubt more important than TFLs and pressures, as individual plays. 

Idk the #s so I'll make some up for this point. 

I guess you have to weigh if 100 pressures and 15 sacks is more important than 85 pressures and 20 sacks. Etc

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

Sacks and forced fumbles are w/o a doubt more important than TFLs and pressures, as individual plays. 

Idk the #s so I'll make some up for this point. 

I guess you have to weigh if 100 pressures and 15 sacks is more important than 85 pressures and 20 sacks. Etc

That is absolutely not true. What makes a sack bigger than a tackle for loss other than the name? They literally accomplish the same thing.

6 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

That is absolutely not true. What makes a sack bigger than a tackle for loss other than the name? They literally accomplish the same thing.

On average a sack loses more yards than a non-sack TFL (I believe sacks count as TFL)

I actually don't know this to be true but it seems likely lol

But my math was more sacks>pressures and FF>TFLs 

Ok I take back w/o a doubt but I would rather have a sack than a pressure and a FF than a TFL on any play. 

Edited by 11sanchez11

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

On a average a sack loses more yards than a non-sack TFL (I believe sacks count as TFL)

I actually don't know this to be true but it seems likely lol

But my math was more sacks>pressures and FF>TFLs 

Ok I take back w/o a doubt but I would rather have a sack than a pressure and a FF than a TFL on any play. 

So if a pressure leads to an errant pass that gets picked off (and possibly returned for a TD), was the sack better?

5 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

So if a pressure leads to an errant pass that gets picked off (and possibly returned for a TD), was the sack better?

We're talking about averages. I'm pretty sure on average sacks cause a way higher % of turnovers than non-sack pressures. 

Almost all of Jones's FF were on sacks. 

But let's get back to Gilmore!

Edited by 11sanchez11

13 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

No but that’s not usually the result of a pressure. It’s usually an incomplete pass. And if you don’t get Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Rodgers, Roethlisberger etc on the ground there’s a good chance you’re giving up a big play.

Unless pressure is the same as a hurry. I’m not always sure how these unofficial stats get scored 

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

5 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

No but that’s not usually the result of a pressure. It’s usually an incomplete pass. And if you don’t get Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Rodgers, Roethlisberger etc on the ground there’s a good chance you’re giving up a big play.

Unless pressure is the same as a hurry. I’m not always sure how these unofficial stats get scored 

Yes, a pressure is a play where the QB gets hit, huried, (sacked), or knocked down.

*Some groups include sacks in that number.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I agree with this.  Gilmore was awesome, but he was arguably not even the best CB in the league this year.  You could legit argue White had a better season.

It's hard for a CB to win in general, Gilmore had more name recognition and cache when really they at best were a wash and at worst White was slightly better. At the very least, the difference wasn't so disparate that White deserved only a SINGULAR vote compared to the guy who won it when they basically had coin flip level seasons. That's dumb. And more proof that these voters really just basically go off name brand first.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan