Stephon Gilmore Is DPOY

goldfishwars

3 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

That is absolutely not true. What makes a sack bigger than a tackle for loss other than the name? They literally accomplish the same thing.

I imagine sacks are usually for more yardage and I’d also imagine (because I don’t know for sure) most teams get more first downs off of passes than runs. So getting a sack on a passing down is more likely to push a team into a punting situation than a TFL on a run down...I imagine.

6 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Voting broke down as follows...

Stephon Gilmore Patriots CB 21
Chandler Jones Cardinals EDGE 14
TJ Watt Steelers EDGE 10
Shaq Barrett Buccaneers EDGE 2
Danielle Hunter Vikings EDGE 1
Tre'Davious White Bills CB 1
Aaron Donald Rams IDL 1

So basically you have 14 idiots who voted for Chandler Jones.

The more I look at stuff like this the more I think these guys are just looking at media narratives, and the stat sheet on NFL.com, and not watching any film at all on the players. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Chandler Jones is underrated as a whole. However, in no way shape or form did he outplay Watt, Barrett, or Z Smith this season. He had less tackles for loss, less pressures, less QB hits. Voters looked at sacks and forced fumbles and thats it, IMO.

Its amazing Chandler Jones did what he did despite playing with one of the WOAT Dlines in the NFL.

He might have got 25 sacks this year if he had elite talent all around him like TJ Watt. :o

10 hours ago, Starless said:

Revis lost out to another DB in '09 (Charles Woodson). We can argue about who deserved it more between the two. Sherman probably deserved it in '13 over Kuechly but the voters pretty clearly value front-7 players over DBs most of the time. Asomugha never really had a year in which he deserved it.

I think Gilmore won this year largely because he was the best player/most important on the best defense in a year in which there was no clear-cut winner.

Wouldn't earl Thomas have won it over Sherman anyway if kuechly didn't?

9 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's hard for a CB to win in general, Gilmore had more name recognition and cache when really they at best were a wash and at worst White was slightly better. At the very least, the difference wasn't so disparate that White deserved only a SINGULAR vote compared to the guy who won it when they basically had coin flip level seasons. That's dumb. And more proof that these voters really just basically go off name brand first.

Tell me. When did Stephon Gilmore become a household name? White wasn't better than Gilmore. Not on any worst scenario you can come up with. Gilmore didn't just beat White out. He beat out Watt, Jones, Donald and others, who were better candidates than White. Keep telling yourself that though...  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Tell me. When did Stephon Gilmore become a household name? White wasn't better than Gilmore. Not on any worst scenario you can come up with. Gilmore didn't just beat White out. He beat out Watt, Jones, Donald and others, who were better candidates than White. Keep telling yourself that though...  

He wasn't talking about their candidacy, he was talking about their play.  And he's right.  White's and Gilmore's coverage metrics are pretty much equal across the board.  

9 minutes ago, Jetzger said:

He wasn't talking about their candidacy, he was talking about their play.  And he's right.  White's and Gilmore's coverage metrics are pretty much equal across the board.  

As a fan of the Bills, I wish White had gotten it, but the truth is man coverage play is more respected than zone. Both players really excelled this year. I'd say White deserved more than 1 vote, but in the end, I understand why he didn't win. So be it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Posted this on r/NFL (what a freakin' trash place; everyone there are idiots)

Imagine a world where there are 6 Cornerbacks who have won DPoTY and one of them is Stephon Gilmore. Not Revis. Not Sherman. Not Williams.  Not Bailey. Not Asomugha. Not Newman (05), not McAllister(06), but Stephon Gilmore. Just doesn't seem right.

what about another different CB winning it next year, possible? Or will Donald rebound? next year could be a good one for DPOY

As I mentioned in other threads these awards are based on favoritism and not performance. If you're going to go DB Tre White should have been the pick the guy performed better then Gillmore and didnt give up a touchdown this year. Gillmore got smoked by John Smoke Brown in week 15 for a 60 yard touchdown. As for winning the award it should have been either TJ Watt or Shaq those guys were beasts this year. 

Maybe it's just voters fatigue, but I felt like Aaron Donald was (again) the best Defensive Player in the NFL this year. 
Gilmore had a wonderful season and is a good choice as well. Wouldn't have been mad with TJ Watt/C. Jones/S. Barrett or even T. White winning either. 

19 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Posted this on r/NFL (what a freakin' trash place; everyone there are idiots)

Imagine a world where there are 6 Cornerbacks who have won DPoTY and one of them is Stephon Gilmore. Not Revis. Not Sherman. Not Williams.  Not Bailey. Not Asomugha. Not Newman (05), not McAllister(06), but Stephon Gilmore. Just doesn't seem right.

That's because you are looking at things in the context of careers and not individual years. Revis, Sherman, and Bailey had very full careers where they made their HOF case. Gilmore is just hitting his peak. 

Revis had 4 First Team All Pro years. He lost to Woodson one year who is a future HOF'er and led the league in INT's that year, the second year he lost out to Troy Polamalu who is a  First Ballot HOFer, Suggs in 2011 was the only questionable one, but the Jets were struggling and went 8-8 after their two year peak. Then you fastforward to 2014 and you have a year where anybody but Watt getting it being a complete joke. 

This year Gilmore was the best cornerback for the second year in a row and the best player on a defense that was at some historical paces largely off his shut down talent. 

With most of these players they have great careers but they have maybe a 4-6 year peak where they are the clear cut best. In that time frame they need to have a historical season and hope nobody else has a better one. 

Same with everything. Brees is going to finish with the TD and yard record and he never won an MVP while Mahomes and Jackson did within their first two seasons. It's largely luck of the draw 

7 hours ago, Jetzger said:

And Gilmore followed the teams best receiver in every single game, had a bigger impact, and made more game changing plays. Case closed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

As I mentioned in other threads these awards are based on favoritism and not performance. If you're going to go DB Tre White should have been the pick the guy performed better then Gillmore and didnt give up a touchdown this year. Gillmore got smoked by John Smoke Brown in week 15 for a 60 yard touchdown. As for winning the award it should have been either TJ Watt or Shaq those guys were beasts this year. 

The only people clamoring for this delusion are Bills fans. Must be the jealous ex thing.

• Like 1