Hitman Mock 1.0

Steeler Hitman

Hitman Mock 1.0 Pick  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Pre Combine Mock Poll: Who is your Pick out of these choices at #49?

• Justin Jefferson WR LSU 6'2 185
    • Brycen Hopkins TE Purdue 6'5 245
    • Antone Winfield Jr. FS Minnesota 5'10 205
    • Patrick Queen ILB LSU 6'2 235
    • Terrell Lewis Edge Alabama 6'5 255
    • Ben Bredeson OG Michigan 6'5 320

hitman.jpg?itok=Xx2hnSNE

I have always struggled with doing mocks.  I have compared/equated the draft to going to a club with a bunch of good looking ladies and trying to pick the right one without being able to date and talk with.  It is an eye test. We all know that everything that looks good is not good or good for you.

raw

I have seen players and rankings all over the place.  So, I am going on the eye, gut/instinct, draft value (according to the so called experts)  over need, and some limited research. 

My draft reference for this mock will be:

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2020-Page-1.asp

I will use their player rankings/ratings and mix in value, need and who I simply like thus far.

Davis.jpg

(2) - - Rae Kwon Davis Alabama 6'7 305' DT - - This guy is a first round talent in my book.  He is a rare talent with monsterous size and would fit in well rotating with Tuitt and Cam.  He has the look of what the Steelers like out of their DL's.  While there are some temptations to take another player and position, the talent and value are here.  He will need to get his grown man strength to go with the grown man size he has, but he should eventually be able to rotate and back-up Cam and Tuitt. I would have loved to take an interior OL, but the players I like are gone and there is more value lower.  

5a88e88eecd46.image.jpg

(3) Comp pick - - Cole Kmet Notre Dame TE 6'6 257 - - Not a real sexy pick, but someone that may not be loved draft night, but will later in the year.  Definite hole at TE with cutting Vance.  Nick Vannett becomes the starter and Gentry is the back-up.  Kmet has a chance to move to TE2. No where near as talented as Heath Miller, but may have some success as Miller and Bruener did. Has the attitude to block and has decent hands.  I am really hoping that CSW develops, but that is quite a gamble with he and Gentry being the only other legit talent the roster. If Kmet has the attitude to block, he can help the rushing attack and catch an occassional pass. 

FrontPageFB44-1024x576.jpg

(4A) - - Kyle Dugger Lenoire Rhyne SS 6'2 210  - - Safety depth and added talent is a huge concern. I think this kid is a diamond in the rough.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-05-at-1.33.30-PM.png

(4B) - - Damien Lewis LSU 6'2 330 OG - - I took Lewis over Nick Harris because of his size and girth.  You big beautiful McNasty! I am all for a physical rushing attack coming back to Pittsburgh. It helps not only Connor but, Ben as well.  Harris seems very much like Pouncey in terms of style, but he has upside as well. Lewis is probably more comfortable at RG, but I give him a shot on the left. 

ZunigaJabari_181124_4007_JayMetz.jpg

(6) - - Jabari Zuniga Florida 6'4 257 Edge - - We lose CHick and hopefully between Ola, Tupac and Jabari, the back-up and ST roles can be filled.

Nick-Westbrook-2016-641x840.jpg

(7) - - Nick Westbook Indiana 6'3 215 WR - - I liked this kid a few years ago before he hurt his ACL. Hoping that he continues to mature as a WR and gets stronger. Explosiveness was his issue and hopefully he has gotten better. Could have tried to sign him as a free agent, but I see something in him. I see him as a PS guy because I like our young WR's anyway. Ju Ju bounces back with Ben at QB and Dionte, Washington, and Cain will all get some passes. 

Team decisions prior to draft:

Sign Bud Dupree. I am not saying give him $20 million a year or anything like that.:D We need him and hopefully he continues to play at the same level.

Hargraves, BJ Finney and Dirty Red goes to greener $$$$ pastures. I hate losing Hargraves, but With Bud and what he will command $$$, just can't afford him. Grant and Spillane are on hand to replace Barron and Red.

Sign Andrew Billings. He is a NT and won't command $10 million a year. He helps our interior run defense, protects Bush and gets the Steelers stronger in the middle.

Cuts: Chickello, Barron, Foster, Vance.  I am optimistic that I can keep Tyson at a little more cap friendly number. 

I will do some other things with salaries to help get them down (convert salary to bonus, etc). I would scour the waivers for a veteran Safety, TE, C/OG, and perhaps even a RB.

Thoughts and/or criticisms are welcome?

I agree with MOSteeelers.  Plus, isn't 6-7 too tall for a NT?

Here's my mock.

2. Brycen Hopkins  TE Purdue

3. Jordan Elliott  NT Missouri

4a. Denzel Mims  WR  Baylor

4b. Nick Harris  Oline Wasington

6. Julian Blackmon S Utah

7. David Woodward  ILB Utah State

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Plus, isn't 6-7 too tall for a NT

He’s a DE in our base scheme. Hitman listed him as a DT, but that’s a 4-3 DT. Also, our DEs play DT in the nickel, so technically they are listed as DT. I think Heyward has been in the pro bowl as a DT the last couple of times. Either way, Davis would play 5 Tech DE in our base, but 3? Tech in our sub packages. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Dugger will go in the 1st.  Otherwise I like it

And Davis would be a 5 tech ( and a good one) in the Steeler scheme

Yeah. After the Senior Bowl and post Combine he's gonna put himself in the conversation for the 1st Rd. I'm thinking 2nd but prolly not there @ #49. Shame. Cause tho a luxuay pick, I think he would flourish in the Steelers' system.  

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I kind of like it. Davis is unexpected in the 2nd and is a luxury, but if the rest shook out that way, I’d be pretty pleased.

I used the idea that Jebrick did in his Mock Scenario thread. I went with a different site and used the criteria that they had. I agree with you that I expect Davis to go in round one or at the latest, early round two. I didn't look at him as a luxury, but actually as a need.In an odd way he would replace Hargraves at DT, but not as a NG on first and second downs.  I said that I would sign Andrew Billings to replace Hargraves.  He will not equal his sacks, but he will help the run defense and we would play Cam and Tuitt when they went Nickel anyway. Davis would also back-up and rotate with Cam and Tuitt at DE. 

3 hours ago, DR43 said:

I agree with MOSteeelers.  Plus, isn't 6-7 too tall for a NT?

Here's my mock.

2. Brycen Hopkins  TE Purdue

3. Jordan Elliott  NT Missouri

4a. Denzel Mims  WR  Baylor

4b. Nick Harris  Oline Wasington

6. Julian Blackmon S Utah

7. David Woodward  ILB Utah State

The reason that I didn't draft a true NG was I would sign Andrew Billings.  He is not going to sign for $15 million a year as a NG.  Davis could rotate in as a 3-Technique DT like Cam and Tuitt do when healthy.  This guy would be a stud in our defense and pretty good insurance should Cam or Tuitt get hurt which has happened over the past three seasons. I see him as a great 5-tech and with some situational 3-tech.  I agree that at 6'7 he is definately not a  traditional 1-technique guy.   Really doesn't have the build for it.  After years of MT.McCullers, I want more of a traditional NG a 6'1 to 6'3 330 - 345 lbs type.  

Solid mock that hit the key positions. 

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Dugger will go in the 1st.  Otherwise I like it

And Davis would be a 5 tech ( and a good one) in the Steeler scheme

I definitely trust your opinion (and some others here) that have a better pulse on the draft positions.  There are so many sites that have players all over the place.  The thread that you did had Tyler Badaisz as a 4th round prospect and I see him as high as i the top 15 and as low as the fouth round.  I think he would be long gone before #49.  I love the guy for our offensive line.  And ironically, it is the same for Dugger. I have seen him as high as the first round and as low as the fifth round.  I have come to realize why these "so called" experts do these mocks weekly: They go from 1.0 to 100.0 before it is all said and done.O.o

I agre with you 100% on Davis. I don't really expect him to be available at 49.  After the Combine I will do another when players shoot up the charts or down.

If you put Terrell Edmunds at Lenoir Rhyne you'd see the same thing as Dugger. 6' 217 4.47. 

With Fitzpatrick playing centerfield in a cover 1/3 type look for most of the game. An impact safety would have the biggest impact of any position on the defense. Have him do somin instead of nothing  

Baby Face Nelson from SMU might be more in line of what you're looking for. 

Edit: Kyle Dugger is a red flag for me, because of the age. He turns 24 years old next month. This allowed him more time to develop his body against men who were still teenagers. At the DII level, this disparity is greater. This allowed him to be the "bully" on the field. He won't be playing like that at the next level. I liken that to a HS Senior playing against the 8th grade. Well, of course he's gonna run through them like they're not even there. If, at the senior bowl, he shows he can "hang". Show out. Then he will be "OK" at the next level. He's still gotta jump another level. He's making the jump from A ball to the pros. I ain't buying your brand La-Loosh.

I like him as an off-ball LB if he gains ten pounds. Then he can do a job and that gives him value. 

Edited by TwoForTheMoney

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He’s a DE in our base scheme. Hitman listed him as a DT, but that’s a 4-3 DT. Also, our DEs play DT in the nickel, so technically they are listed as DT. I think Heyward has been in the pro bowl as a DT the last couple of times. Either way, Davis would play 5 Tech DE in our base, but 3? Tech in our sub packages. 

Since that's the case, I actually wouldn't be against drafting him, depending on whoever else is available.  I can certainly appreciate get the best talent available.