Troy Polamalu >>> Ed Reed

RamblinMan99

Forget stats.  

Yeah,  Reed had double the interceptions and he was a ball hog, but Troy made plays that literally won games.  

If you watched both careers in detail, there's simply no comparison.  

Not saying Reed wasn't great. 

Reed was a better safety than Troy Polamalu. 

He was very intelligent in how he read the quarterback's awareness.  

But, Troy was a much better football player overall.  

He had the all natural athleticism to make superhuman plays that no other player in the entire league could make.  

Ed Reed Made plenty of those plays also, but he was feared in the secondary. QB's simply did not try him and feared him. Troy is awesome but when they both played it was E. Reed always on top and 10 years later nothing has changed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/806142-troy-polamalu-vs-ed-reed-which-one-is-the-nfls-best-safety

I would even while Troy measured between on paper E. Reed played like the more physically gifted player.

Edited by MrnastiesNO
fg
  • Like 5

I'd take Ed Reed over any safety that has ever played the game; however, Polamalu is one of the best I've ever seen.  Polamalu was obviously amazing in the box and he had a knack for making absolutely incredible plays, but he is very underrated as a coverage guy.  We were so lucky to have Reed, Polamalu and Dawkins all playing at the same time at the top of their games.  You can see an extremely significant drop off in safety play today vs where we were back then. 

• Like 1

Troy was one of the best Football players I've ever seen and I'm not going off of team/recency bias (I've been watching since the '80s and I can't stand the Steelers/Packers).    Reed was beyond phenomenal in his role as a safety, but I'd take Troy if they were both in this year's draft. 

One was guaranteed to get you available turnovers (Ed), one was guaranteed to will the defense into every game (Troy). 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

"Reed was a better safety than Troy Polamalu.

But, Troy was a much better football player overall."

lmao

Not sure what so funny about this. Troy was a free safety who lined up all over the field (safety, NB (man and zone coverage), linebacker( in sub-packages), and could jump the snap better than any player I have ever seen. 

When comparing Troy, Reed, and X...there is no right or wrong answer, imo.

• Like 1