HOF 2020 modern era inductees revealed

TecmoSuperJoe

37 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Not really. I think Wayne or Faneca should've gotten in over James. Beyond that i think they got it right. But I think I get what your saying. The only "elite" player was Polamalu of the class.

Not weak as in they made the wrong choices, but weak as in the guys who got in just weren't really that great compared to previous classes. Last year we had Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Tony Gonzalez and Ty Law. The year before that we had Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Brian Urlacher and Brian Dawkins. Feels like this class doesn't really compare to those ones.

On 2/2/2020 at 7:43 AM, mistakey said:

edge had a 2300 yfs season in his 2nd year.  if not for the torn acl in his 3rd year we wouldnt be having this conversation.  he then went on to have 5 more 1000 yard seasons, 2 of which were for the lowly cards.  before zeke, the last person to win the rushing title as a rookie was edge.  he was a monster.

So Todd Gurley will get in? You’ve described Todd. 

Just now, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

So Todd Gurley will get in? You’ve described Todd. 

Todd gurley has never reached 2100 yfs in a season and currently only has 5000 yards rushing

its not impossible but he needs to have a second half as good as the first

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Nobody is doubting Hutch is worthy. But Faneca has one more All-Pro nomination, 2 more Pro Bowls, and when the two played in the biggest games of their career, Faneca made the game winning block. Hutchinson was barely there.

Hutch was still the better Guard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

No he wasnt. He is worthy of the Hall of Fame but he was not a better Guard. Faneca was an elite Guard who wouldve had another All Pro If not for being selfless and moving to LT for a season due to other injuries. The man played an integral role in Pittsburghs SB victory and overall success while he was there. While Hutch was very good, Minnesota wasnt nearly as successful as a result of his play as Pittsburgh was due to Faneca's. Faneca was a major catalyst in the success of Jerome Bettis.

Like I said Hutch deserves to be in, but he wasnt better than Faneca.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not weak as in they made the wrong choices, but weak as in the guys who got in just weren't really that great compared to previous classes. Last year we had Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Tony Gonzalez and Ty Law. The year before that we had Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Brian Urlacher and Brian Dawkins. Feels like this class doesn't really compare to those ones.

I dont disagree with the exception of Polamalu.

10 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Not really, but Im not going to argue much about it since Hutch was definitely HOF worthy.

I feel like if Faneca had stayed with the Steelers to finish his career, he wouldve been in by now.  I also believe that Polamalu and Cowher getting in this year hurt his chances, seeing as how they were all prominent parts of the same Steeler teams.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

No he wasnt. He is worthy of the Hall of Fame but he was not a better Guard. Faneca was an elite Guard who wouldve had another All Pro If not for being selfless and moving to LT for a season due to other injuries. The man played an integral role in Pittsburghs SB victory and overall success while he was there. While Hutch was very good, Minnesota wasnt nearly as successful as a result of his play as Pittsburgh was due to Faneca's. Faneca was a major catalyst in the success of Jerome Bettis.

Like I said Hutch deserves to be in, but he wasnt better than Faneca.

Minnesota never had a good franchise QB like Roethliesberger. That'll help you look better than maybe you are especially when you have crazy fans thinking you're better than Steven Hutchinson.

Hutchinson did help Peterson win the NFL MVP. He also helped Shawn Alexander win an MVP. Had Minnesota or Seattle had a Russell Wilson during those times Hutchinson would have a ring and more awards. Instead he had Matt Hasselback, Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, an old Brett Favre.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You’ve answered it yourself as to why.

Both classes in 2018 and 2019 had three first ballot choices. 2020 was always going to be a catch-up year with Polamalu the only no-brainier first ballot choice, plus those who had missed out in the previous two years. 

Next year we have two slam dunk first ballot choices in Manning and Woodson plus potentially two more finalists in Calvin Johnson and Jared Allen.

Edited by Boknows34

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Minnesota never had a good franchise QB like Roethliesberger. That'll help you look better than maybe you are especially when you have crazy fans thinking you're better than Steven Hutchinson.

Hutchinson did help Peterson win the NFL MVP. He also helped Shawn Alexander win an MVP. Had Minnesota or Seattle had a Russell Wilson during those times Hutchinson would have a ring and more awards. Instead he had Matt Hasselback, Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, an old Brett Favre.

Crazy Fans? Like I said, The Accolades speak for themselves. Hutchinson doesnt remotely measure up in that regard. Hutchinson was an excellent Guard who, like you said, helped RBs win MVPs along with the other very good OL he played with. Having said that, Hasselbeck was good enough to get to a SB, just not good enough to win it.

This isnt about me being a Steeler fan, it's about the truth of the situation. Had there not already been 3 Steelers getting in this year, Hutxhinson is waiting another year. Faneca was without question the better Guard.

But Hutchinson was definitely worthy of the HOF, so I dont have any issue with him getting in. Frankly, it shouldve been Faneca getting in over James. Theres nothing wrong with 2 OL getting in when they both deserve it. 

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Its fun watching all this arguing about two clearly HoF guards to say which is better like people really sit and study individual guard play enough to judge that. Where do you all have the time for that?

I really have no argument over who was better. I can't scout a player to save my life. Just wanted to play devils advocate and see how excited my favorite Steelers fans got!

Really, if you ask 100 NFL fans to choose between Faneca and Hutchinson you’d probably get close to a 50-50 result.

I don’t think you can say one was unequivocally better than the other. That also means they’ve likely been splitting the vote among the HOF panel. The most important thing was for one of them to break through. Now that Hutchinson is in, Faneca’s path is much less congested. 

Edited by Boknows34