HOF 2020 modern era inductees revealed

TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, Boknows34 said:

Really, if you ask 100 NFL fans to choose between Faneca and Hutchinson you’d probably get close to a 50-50 response. 

I don’t think you can say one was unequivocally better than the other. That also means they’ve likely been splitting the vote among the HOF panel. The most important thing was for one of them to break through. Now that Hutchinson is in, Faneca’s path is much less congested. 

I think that's fair but here is my issue and it's not even got anything to do with Hutch.

The HOF is supposed to be about the best players. How'd James get in over Lynch, Wayne, or Faneca?

Do people that quickly forget how good Indys OL was and hold bad James was when he went to AZ without an OL? If there is any RB in the modern era, a better example of being a product of an OL, its Edgerrin James

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I think that's fair but here is my issue and it's not even got anything to do with Hutch.

The HOF is supposed to be about the best players. How'd James get in over Lynch, Wayne, or Faneca?

Do people that quickly forget how good Indys OL was and hold bad James was when he went to AZ without an OL? If there is any RB in the modern era, a better example of being a product of an OL, its Edgerrin James

He still got 1150 and 1200 yds in his first 2 years in AZ, so I'm not sure about the validity of your argument.  His top 3 career comparisons, as indicated on PFR are Thurman Thomas, Eric Dickerson and Adrian Peterson.  If that's not a HOF RB then I don't know what is.  You must be confusing him with Terrell Davis.  He was a far better RB than Terrell Davis, who clearly was a product of the system.  There was a pretty big dropoff from James to Joseph Addai after him (in what ended up being a Super Bowl champion anyway).  Edge was clearly a more HOF-worthy RB than Isaac Bruce was a HOF-worthy WR.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He still got 1150 and 1200 yds in his first 2 years in AZ, so I'm not sure about the validity of your argument.  His top 3 career comparisons, as indicated on PFR are Thurman Thomas, Eric Dickerson and Adrian Peterson.  If that's not a HOF RB then I don't know what is.  You must be confusing him with Terrell Davis.  He was a far better RB than Terrell Davis, who clearly was a product of the system.  There was a pretty big dropoff from James to Joseph Addai after him (in what ended up being a Super Bowl champion anyway).  Edge was clearly a more HOF-worthy RB than Isaac Bruce was a HOF-worthy WR.  

I'm not confusing him. I'm suggesting his #s are higher than his skill.

TD isnt an HOFer either. What I'm saying is Faneca is more worthy of the HOF than James is.

21 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not confusing him. I'm suggesting his #s are higher than his skill.

TD isnt an HOFer either. What I'm saying is Faneca is more worthy of the HOF than James is.

Another factor is James was the only RB on the ballot, whereas there’s a logjam at OL with three very worthy candidates.

There might have been ballot papers with two of the three OL, but I doubt anyone voted for all three in their final five as the panel tries to have a balanced class, unless it’s a total no brainer.

Seeing all the defense for Edge is weird man. I don't see some major gap between him and contemporaries like Ahman Green, Clinton Portis, Jamal Lewis, Tiki Barber or, Corey Dillion who have similar peaks, longevity, and efficiency. And none of those guys have a chance of getting in.

13 hours ago, Malik said:

Seeing all the defense for Edge is weird man. I don't see some major gap between him and contemporaries like Ahman Green, Clinton Portis, Jamal Lewis, Tiki Barber or, Corey Dillion who have similar peaks, longevity, and efficiency. And none of those guys have a chance of getting in.

Ok lets compare.

Green 9205 yards/60 Tds/93 average/ 12 years 

Portis 9923/75Tds/82 average/ 9 years

Lewis 10607/58 Tds/83 average/ 10 years

Barber 10449/55 Tds/118 average/10 years

Dillon 11241/82 tds/ 91 average/ 10 years

James 12246/80 tds/ 136 average/ 11 years

Are those numbers comparable? Green and Portis are not even close honestly.  

Barber and Dillon had really good careers but a 1000 to 1800 yard difference in the same number of years is a ridiculous amount of yards. The average is obvious in showing the difference in dominance. Not to mention Barber was the healthiest running back of all time while James missed almost a whole season due to an acl tear.

Lewis is another story. Ive always felt that barring his injury he would have been a HOF caliber running back. His numbers were there even after the injury, I just think they caught up to him in the end.

But then again....if you want to say James is like those guys then James is like these guys too.

Bettis 13662/ 91 tds/ 102 average / 13 years 

Faulk 12279/100 tds/ 166 average/ 12 years

Martin 14101/ 90/ 128 average/ 11 years

Tomlinson 13684/145 tds/157 average/ 11 years

I feel like his numbers are closer to this group than the other and before his acl injury he was pointing a lot higher than that. I feel like he belongs and I haven't seen one actual argument to why he shouldn't make it. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, TENINCH said:

Minnesota never had a good franchise QB like Roethliesberger. That'll help you look better than maybe you are especially when you have crazy fans thinking you're better than Steven Hutchinson.

Hutchinson did help Peterson win the NFL MVP. He also helped Shawn Alexander win an MVP. Had Minnesota or Seattle had a Russell Wilson during those times Hutchinson would have a ring and more awards. Instead he had Matt Hasselback, Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, an old Brett Favre.

He played 12 games that season and was clearly on his last legs but okay...

2 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

giphy.webp

The amount of disrespect for Edgerrin James in this thread.

I’m more amazed at the lack of respect given for Atwater. Dude was a force to be reckoned with. I’m very happy to see him get in and it is well deserved. The enforcer role is gone from the NFL but dudes like Atwater, Andre Waters and Rodney Harrison made me love football. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Also helped Harvin win ROY and Favre play at an MVP at 39 years old. No more crying man. Hutch is Hof'er. Faneca can watch him go in.

Hutch is a HOF caliber player...Doesnt change the fact Faneca shouldve gotten in before him.