Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Dak Prescott

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Dak, being a mid round pick, already spent 4 seasons playing WAY above his salary. That would be unbelievable if he really was content to just take the tag and keep playing with no financial security. I get it, "Cowboys! America's team, endorsement opportunities he wouldn't have otherwise!"... but I doubt that's even enough to make up for what his 1st round peers earned in salary through 4 years. His agent should absolutely have him hold out if he has any faith in Dak's talent, and thus ability to secure a deal on the open market. 

I'm not quite sure how much of the gap it makes up, but Dak has made an awful lot from Oikos and Campbell's and the rest. He played out last year without a contract because he is, relatively speaking, "set for life"

Franchise tag him and then trade him.  I know you can’t tag with the intent to trade, but nobody has to know.  Cowboys ain’t winning **** if they pay Dak 25 million per. They can’t win **** while paying him a rookie contract.  Do not give in, Jerry.  Draft his replacement this year.  I don’t even like the Cowboys.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I don't think Dak is worth over 25 mil a year.

If Dak actually hit the open market he would get more than 25 mil/year just because there are teams that are QB starved. Guys don't get paid on the open market necessary based on "true value", but opportunity cost. You may think Dak's true value is much less than 25/year, but there are teams that would trip over themselves to pay Dak 40 million on their terrible squads. Thus, Dak is worth more than 25 mil/year to the Cowboys, and is likely to get it.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hukos said:

If Dak actually hit the open market he would get more than 25 mil/year just because there are teams that are QB starved. Guys don't get paid on the open market necessary based on "true value", but opportunity cost. You may think Dak's true value is much less than 25/year, but there are teams that would trip over themselves to pay Dak 40 million on their terrible squads. Thus, Dak is worth more than 25 mil/year to the Cowboys, and is likely to get it.

Yes but just because other franchises are willing to be stupid doesn’t mean you should be. At a certain point you’re better off just moving on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Yes but just because other franchises are willing to be stupid doesn’t mean you should be. At a certain point you’re better off just moving on.

"Moving on" in this case means blowing up the entire team and firing everyone.

This is like when the internet went pikachuface.jpg when Kirk Cousins got his monster deal. QBs don't get paid the literal amount of what they're worth, they get paid much more.

Edited by Hukos

18 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

I think the Cowboys are fearing that he will get a decent offer from at least one team. If that happens, they don't have a QB. The Cowboys are playing it safe. 

He would get a decent offer.  They can't let Dak go, because the risk is far too great that the guy that they would get to replace him wouldn't be as good.  Dak ain't Mahomes or Watson, but he's good in his own right.