Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Dak Prescott

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Of course they would. It boggles my mind that people who spend time on a football website dont understand supply, demand and contracts. The dude above said he wouldnt pay Dak $25m... Are you kidding me? Im not going to get in a Dak debate on how good you think he is, for some unknown reason FF.com hates the guy. But if you dont think he would be the #1 hottest commodity in the open market you are insane. And that includes the GOAT Tom Brady. 

By "you", I dont mean HTTR specifically. 

Obviously his own team doesn't believe that he's worth that much, or a deal wouldve been made. FF hates the guy but what about Jerry Jones?

1 hour ago, Hukos said:

What's more likely if the Cowboys move on from Dak?

Scenario A - they hit on a gem and he flourishes as a QB and they keep progressing from there.
Scenario B - they blow the whole team up, fire sale, trade everyone for picks, and go into a period of QB hell where it takes them 7-10+ years to find their next QB.

Hint: It's not Scenario A.

And if they give Dak 30-35 million (or more) they are going to be stuck in perpetual 8-8 mediocrity. How is that really all that better than scenario B? 

7 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I think you're seriously underestimating how hard it is to find a franchise QB.

And I think you’re not realizing that it’s damn near impossible to win a SB if you’re paying a QB of Dak’s caliber top dollar. The goal is to win a SB, not be stuck in mediocrity with a QB like Dak sucking up 20-25% of your cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

Obviously his own team doesn't believe that he's worth that much, or a deal wouldve been made. FF hates the guy but what about Jerry Jones?

theyve already offered $32m and stated he is the #1 most pressing need

11 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

And I think you’re not realizing that it’s damn near impossible to win a SB if you’re paying a QB of Dak’s caliber top dollar. The goal is to win a SB, not be stuck in mediocrity with a QB like Dak sucking up 20-25% of your cap.

25% now? so he is getting $50m/yr?

Ive read a couple rumors its not even the $$. Its the contract term. The Cowboys, allegedly, want to "Tyron Smith" him and put him on an absurdly long deal. Ive seen people speculate a 10 year contract. 

Dak wants a shorter deal that he can renegotiate after the next CBA.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Everyone other than Cowboys fans "Dak isn't a top 10 QB!"

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Define franchise QB, because if I was starting an nfl franchise Dak isn't the QB I would want.  

I feel like you are trolling me right now because you know I will defend Dak. But your opinion is honestly absurd. 

A poll that had 670k people voted Dak #6.

NFL had him ranked 11

PFF had him 10

FO 6

He was 6th in ANYA

4th in QBR

Its not "everyone is saying he isnt top 10", its you (and others on ff.com). Most people either think he is top 10 or really close to it. Its crazy how much this forum hates him and underrates him. 

I tend to see QB rankings as tiers, not top X whatever. Because at some point there's a dropoff between Elite and Very Good and Good/Above-average. 
Seems like (almost) everyone is agreeing that Dak isn't in the Elite tier. (R. Wilson - P. Mahomes - D. Watson - A. Rodgers? T. Brady? D. Brees?)
Therefore he "shouldn't" be paid Elite money (32-35M+). Just like Goff and Wentz. For me they all are in the Very Good tier or Above-average tier. 
But that's absolutely not how the NFL works. QB is THE premium position, and they will get paid. It's not like you let your Franchise QB walk over a 2-4M difference. 
Maybe Dak doesn't "deserve" elite money but he will get it for sure. With the Cowboys. Salary cap is rising, QBs are getting bigger and bigger contract.. 
And I would think that with competent coaching and a good to great team surrounding him D. Prescott is good enough on his own that he could win a SB. 

21 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

I tend to see QB rankings as tiers, not top X whatever. Because at some point there's a dropoff between Elite and Very Good and Good/Above-average. 
Seems like (almost) everyone is agreeing that Dak isn't in the Elite tier. (R. Wilson - P. Mahomes - D. Watson - A. Rodgers? T. Brady? D. Brees?)
Therefore he "shouldn't" be paid Elite money (32-35M+). Just like Goff and Wentz. For me they all are in the Very Good tier or Above-average tier. 
But that's absolutely not how the NFL works. QB is THE premium position, and they will get paid. It's not like you let your Franchise QB walk over a 2-4M difference. 
Maybe Dak doesn't "deserve" elite money but he will get it for sure. With the Cowboys. Salary cap is rising, QBs are getting bigger and bigger contract.. 
And I would think that with competent coaching and a good to great team surrounding him D. Prescott is good enough on his own that he could win a SB. 

This is pretty fair. I think the only tier 1 QBs this season were Wilson, Mahomes and Jackson. So after that, you are really just shuffling around everyone else based on preference/biases. For example, I dont think Brady is a top QB at all anymore. 

• Like 1