Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Dak Prescott

RaidersAreOne

Is Dak really gonna get 40 mil a year? Need a Dallas fan with actual knowledge to inform me.

I, unlike many others on this forum, actually see him as a good QB, though he has some very vital flaws he can still ball out if hes having a good game, plus, his HC was Jason Garrett lmao come on like we're expecting this kid to get a SB under that guy

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:41 PM, Matts4313 said:

Rumors are that he wants ~$35m/yr-ish and we offered $32-33m/yr. Should be close on an AAV basis. Still no clue about the other factors.

How bad is it going to look on your salary cap with his and Zeke contract? (that twitter post in this thread said they were targeting a 5+ year deal which is better iirc)

I don't know a thing about the Cowboys but I know you guys have a pretty stacked team rn.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, Uncle Buck said:

I've noticed that Eagles fans often say some pretty outlandish things about Dak, but I have to agree with you on this one Nabbs.  I just don't understand why Dallas hasn't signed Dak yet.  He is obviously a very important part of their roster.  He is a good football player.  Why hasn't Jerruh just signed him and moved onto other matters?  It doesn't sound like Dak has been outrageously demanding in what he wants.  It just doesn't seem in character for a guy like Jerruh who hasn't shown an aversion to getting his checkbook out.  I just don't get it.

Because on some level, Jerry doesn't believe in Dak. They can pretend all they want but they are treating him exactly like Snyder did Cousins. Prove it again to Me year in year out.

Otherwise they would of signed Dak last offseason BEFORE the Goff /Wentz deals and for probably around $28M not the going rate of $35M. But they viewed it as Too Much!!!! Would of extended him during the season rather then paying 3-4 other players massive contracts. Have a deal already in place right now not intentionally low balling him under the Two players above but eclipsing said numbers.

Jerry's playing hardball against himself.  He's the idiot who waited and expected a "Dallas Discount" when in fact he had Probably the best discount in the NFL for 5 yrs! Pay the Piper and Suck it up Buttercup. You created this!!

Edited by Nabbs4u

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, wwhickok said:

If he doesnt accept that, he is an idiot. He isnt worth as much as Mahomes and after another year on the tag he likely wont get that much on the open market

He's not asking for 40M or expecting to be paid like Mahomes. Its negotiating 101. My Agent goes high , Jerry goes low 30M we meet somewhere in the middle which exceeds Goff/Wentz's contract at 34/35.

It's not rocket science. Its Jerry trying to save face for screwing up his contract from the jump before 2019 started. Back when Dak probably easily signs for 28M before both players above were extended. However Jerry wanted to play games, ask for the Dallas Discount, paid 4 other players, wanted Dak to prove it yet again. Took the We'll wait and see approach.....?

We've seen this song in dance already before in DC with Cousins. IF JERRY JONES  truly believed Dak was his FQBOTF this deal would of already been done. On some level They (The Jones's) Still have doubts, Period!! Pretend otherwise all you want.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

He's not asking for 40M or expecting to be paid like Mahomes. Its negotiating 101. My Agent goes high , Jerry goes low 30M we meet somewhere in the middle which exceeds Goff/Wentz's contract at 34/35.

It's not rocket science. Its Jerry trying to save face for screwing up his contract from the jump before 2019 started. Back when Dak probably easily signs for 28M before both players above were extended. However Jerry wanted to play games, ask for the Dallas Discount, paid 4 other players, wanted Dak to prove it yet again. Took the We'll wait and see approach.....?

We've seen this song in dance already before in DC with Cousins. IF JERRY JONES  truly believed Dak was his FQBOTF this deal would of already been done. On some level They (The Jones's) Still have doubts, Period!! Pretend otherwise all you want.

This post is only about 50% wrong. This is a huge step up for Nabbsy and I am proud. He almost sounds competent on Cowboys matters (almost). Some fact checking:

1. Dallas has been negotiating with Dak since before last season.

2. Stephen Jones does the contracts - and this is his MO. Waiting and waiting trying to be frugal. 

3. Everything from inside and outside the organization has pointed to the Cowboys having no doubts on Dak being the Franchise QB. They just cant agree on contract. It happens.

35 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve heard there’s a even newer offer now at 33.7M per year on Sirius NFL and they structured it to Daks liking. Perhaps the Boys final offer.

There is a newer offer, but the details of it are not public yet. 

And to those of you saying dak wouldn't get that kind of offer on the open market, you're just flat out wrong.

Teams like the Colts, Bucs, and Chargers would absolutely throw that kind of money at him.

Edited by Danger

Last year the cowboys were said to be giving him 30 mil a year and he said no I want 35 mil, now they upped it to 33-34 and he is stating 40 mil? I dont care what side you are on if 105 mil guaranteed is on the table you take it. Keep asking for more and set yourself up for failure and the laughing stock of the NFL. You can only put so much money on a guy without compromising the team's salary cap. To me its a selfish move and I get you want to get paid but what is going to change in dak's life at 105 mil compared to 115 mil? You are already stupid rich and if you are smart you can live off that interest the rest of your life setting up your family too. Just take the said 105 mil and have them get you some more weapons or protection to set yourself up for a 2nd big contract in 4-5 years. If you arent a legit qb who can carry your team to the playoffs or championship then you should let him walk and start fresh and if this said 40 mil is true let him walk. Look at what happened with the Chiefs, they knew Smith contract was due and knew that he could take him so far and that wasnt enough so they moved up and landed a new qb in mahomes. Then turned around and traded smith a year later before they had to shell out a new contract. Dak isnt that type of guy to carry your team so paying him that type of money is a joke. Take that money build up a defense, you have the rb and oline. Give up the farm to move up and land a guy like Tua who will be cheap but is capable of starting and have him on a rookie contract for the next 5 years. Then you can resign cooper as well as another target for Tua to play with for the amount you would be spending on dak. 

• Like 2