Jump to content
turtle28

Can't believe I was gone for 10 days & this wasn't a topic but Greg Olsen? (Update: He signed with SEATTLE)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

It's gonna feel like business as usual if we sign him . Some injury prone over the hill old, slow guy - stop gap . ugh :(

If we pay him real money and especially if we commit for multiple seasons, then I tend to agree.  If he wants to be a rotational guy and get paid like it, then great. 

I want to develop a winning team, not make signings that keep us in contention for 8-8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

George Kittle - round 5

T Kelce Rd 3 

 

Right, and like 1,000 other ones that didn't turn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just feels like a Bruce move to me .. I don't want him here. Hentges was coming on .. maybe he can go higher or he's topped out -need to see. Keep Sprinkle, draft one in rd. 3, 4 or 5 -bring in a coupla UDFA hoping to hit .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Just feels like a Bruce move to me .. I don't want him here. Hentges was coming on .. maybe he can go higher or he's topped out -need to see. Keep Sprinkle, draft one in rd. 3, 4 or 5 -bring in a coupla UDFA hoping to hit .. 

A Bruce move? Like the Vernon Davis signing? That one turned out well and Olsen is a better blocker.

My idea is to keep Sprinkle and to draft a TE in the mid rounds but to also sign Olsen to hopefully a one year deal. A vet like Olsen will help Haskins, help teach our rookie TE & Sprinkle and he will improve our TE blocking which has been a huge issue since Cooley retired and even he wasn’t the greatest blocker just average. 

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, offbyone said:

If we pay him real money and especially if we commit for multiple seasons, then I tend to agree.  If he wants to be a rotational guy and get paid like it, then great. 

I want to develop a winning team, not make signings that keep us in contention for 8-8.

Guys like Olsen help young develop into better players just through osmosis. He’s not a huge difference maker that will get this team to 8 wins this season. 

The Panthers were 5-11 last year with Olsen playing 14 games. Adding him is not going to make our young team 5 games better, so you have nothing to worry about there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Just feels like a Bruce move to me .. I don't want him here. Hentges was coming on .. maybe he can go higher or he's topped out -need to see. Keep Sprinkle, draft one in rd. 3, 4 or 5 -bring in a coupla UDFA hoping to hit .. 

Hentges is JAG.  

Sprinkle will probably return as the 3rd TE.  We can draft a mid round TE, but we need someone who can start next season.

Also I think we only carry 3 TEs, and bring in a full time FB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, offbyone said:

If we pay him real money and especially if we commit for multiple seasons, then I tend to agree.  If he wants to be a rotational guy and get paid like it, then great. 

I want to develop a winning team, not make signings that keep us in contention for 8-8.

Rivera wants to win now, so expect signings like Olsen.  Lets just hope he doesn't hemorrhage picks like Gibbs and Shanahan did before.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Rivera wants to win now, so expect signings like Olsen.  Lets just hope he doesn't hemorrhage picks like Gibbs and Shanahan did before.  

I would be very disappointed if Rivera takes a short sighted approach like giving Olsen a bunch of money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I would be very disappointed if Rivera takes a short sighted approach like giving Olsen a bunch of money.  

I’d also be very disappointed if Sprinkle ends up being our #1 TE again bc the TE we draft in the mid rounds can’t beat him out...

Sometimes you have to pay a little extra to get the guy you want - as long as we’re not giving Olsen a Jordan Reed type contract then I’m not going to be mad about it. We need a starting TE and don’t have a 2nd round pick. So, outside of paying Hooper big $, I’m not sold on the other few top TEs on the market. One is injury prone (Henry) and the other seems aloof (Ebron). And Tyler Eifert is talented but it also injury prone like Henry and hasn’t come close to living up to his draft positon.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d also be very disappointed if Sprinkle ends up being our #1 TE again bc the TE we draft in the mid rounds can’t beat him out...

Sometimes you have to pay a little extra to get the guy you want - as long as we’re not giving Olsen a Jordan Reed type contract then I’m not going to be mad about it. We need a starting TE and don’t have a 2nd round pick. So, outside of paying Hooper big $, I’m not sold on the other few top TEs on the market. One is injury prone (Henry) and the other seems aloof (Ebron). And Tyler Eifert is talented but it also injury prone like Henry and hasn’t come close to living up to his draft positon.

I am with you.  I just think that we shouldn't pay anyone who is old.  There are stop gaps out there.  If Olsen wants to be that guy, great, if not- go fish.  Hell if we want to pay someone why not just keep Jordan Reed.

I would be ok with paying either Hooper or Henry (a good bit less). 

TE might just not be solved this year.  I am also ok with Sprinkle + b level veteran + a promising draft pick, if that is our best option.  No team has a perfect roster.  The problem is as I believe you give a hat tip too, the draft is weak for TEs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am with you.  I just think that we shouldn't pay anyone who is old.  There are stop gaps out there.  If Olsen wants to be that guy, great, if not- go fish.  Hell if we want to pay someone why not just keep Jordan Reed.

I would be ok with paying either Hooper or Henry (a good bit less). 

TE might just not be solved this year.  I am also ok with Sprinkle + b level veteran + a promising draft pick, if that is our best option.  No team has a perfect roster.  The problem is as I believe you give a hat tip too, the draft is weak for TEs.  

I'd love to keep Reed, but he didn't play last year bc of a concussion he had in mid August - if that doesn’t tell you we can’t rely on him and he shouldn’t play football again, I don’t know what will! He shouldn't even play football again and we already know we can't count on him bc any hit he takes could be his last and even worse, he may not walk off the field the next time a LB or S cracks him over the middle. 

There's also the $ factor. You can complain about signing a TE on a one year deal that Rivera knows who played 14 games last year for $7 to 8 million, had a productive year last year and is a good blocker but on the flip side want to take a huge risk keeping a guy with concussion problems who's never played a full season, can't block and is overpaid bc of his inability to stay on the field?

That doesn't add up.

Reed makes $10.3 million next year since he at best plays 3/4 a season he's only worth $7 million and really not even that. I guess we could make him take a pay cut or be cut and turn half of his salary into incentives. 

If he is retained, he shouldn't be starting and should only be on the field in what seems like definite passing situations and goal line situations for play action as a move TE in a 1 WR set.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/

Look at this list, if we retain Reed, what TE do you want on here who can start, be a blocking TE and come off the field on passing TEs?

Daniel Fells? He’ll be 34 and is projected to cost about $5 million and guess what, again, he’s going to be 34 in April! So what’s the difference between signing him and Olsen?

If we keep Reed, we can’t afford to sign Hooper, Henry and Ebron.
 

• We’d have to sign a second tier TE like Fells (again, 34) who’d probably take less $ to play with Houston again, so why not spend a few million more for Olsen?

• Nick Vanette who’s ok for the role we’d need him in if we keep Reed too. Personally, I’d love to see it bc my cousin, his father in law and another one of my cousins coached him in HS and he went to Ohio State but let’s be clear Nick is a blocking TE who at best gives us 25 catches a year. 

• Garrett Celek who missed last year bc of back surgery? Not a guy I want to try to count on but I guess vet min would do.

• Tyler Eifert? See Celek plus Hunter Henry plus Jordan Reed’s injuries all in one who’s been an average at best starter when healthy.

• Lance Kendricks? He’s going to be 33 and barely played last year bc of injury.

• Nick O’Leary who I've always had high hopes for and thought would be a Cooley type but hasn't lived up to the FSU hype, just 9 receptions last year w/ 1 TE bc of injury. Again, TE coming off only having played 8 games bc of injuries, that's who you want?

• Marcedes Lewis? He’ll be 36 in May and has never been a threat in the passing game.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sprinkle is our #1 TE, we are in for a world of hurt and deservedly so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If Sprinkle is our #1 TE, we are in for a world of hurt and deservedly so. 

I would hope he develops more with more reps next year but, I agree it’s not likely he takes the takes the next step and becomes a 50 catch, 500 yard TE who scores 4 to 6 TDs a year. I have no problem with Sprinkle continuing to be our #2/blocking TE but would preferably sign a vet and draft a mid-round TE which would probably make Sprinkle the #3 as he has been the last few years.

26 receptions, 241 yards and 1 TD in 13 starts screams out #3 TE to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Rivera wants to win now, so expect signings like Olsen.  Lets just hope he doesn't hemorrhage picks like Gibbs and Shanahan did before.  

I can’t imagine Kyle Smith allowing that to happen and I’m pretty sure Rivera kept Smith around to make those decisions for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×