Can't believe I was gone for 10 days & this wasn't a topic but Greg Olsen? (Update: He signed with SEATTLE)

turtle28

I say yes if it's a stopgap deal and depending on the cost, I’d still draft a TE to develop though. Adding Olsen will help Haskins and his development out a lot. His veteran leadership will mean a lot to a young passing game. No big deals though! I feel about this the same way I felt about Malcolm Jenkins or Eric Berry, I’d like to have them, but not on some big-time deal. 

For Olsen though - outside of playing for Rivera - I don't understand the draw. He'll be 35 in March, if he wants one more shot at a Super Bowl - DC ain’t the place - for him it makes sense to go to New England, Houston, Green Bay, Chicago or Seattle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

meh.... we would be lucky to get 7 games out of Olsen.  Gimme Eric Ebron

He played 14 last year. Ebron played only 11 and arguably quit on his team when he shut himself down bc of an ankle injury when they were in the middle of a playoff race - the team reported they were shocked he said he was done for the season. Also, he will cost more on a longer-term deal. The idea with Olsen is he's a stopgap and he can help a TE we draft in the mid-rounds develop so that guy can be ready to start in 2021. 

I have nothing against Ebron, Henry or Hooper as players but I think they're going go cost more and certainly more on longer deals w/ more guaranteed $.

I think for our young team it's smarter to get a stopgap in FA while we draft a develop a TE rather then pay a lot for a FA TE.

Edited by turtle28

I don’t think he would be a TE2 or TE3, the guy was 11th in the league in receptions and yards among TEs last year despite missing 2 games and some pretty shaky QB play — he can still play. 

What I would think is more likely is a 1A and 1B scenario with a guy they draft, perhaps someone like Brycen Hopkins or Hunter Bryant at the top of the 3rd round. Something like (a lesser version of) what the Eagles have with Ertz and the young guy Goedert. 

That’s not what I would prefer — I’d like to see them hit the top of the FA market, specifically Hooper or Henry. But I think there’s a high likelihood that Rivera will have interest in bringing Olsen with him, because of the great intangibles and trust factor, and maybe the 1A/1B setup with a talented rookie is the best way to make that work. 

• Like 1

As long as the contract isn't stupid I'd be okay with this.Greg is a smart guy who knows the offense and a big enough name that the youngster in the offense should have some respect for.

I'd still prefer bigger name in FA like Hooper or Henry,but if plan is to draft and develop then I'd wouldn't mind Greg as the stop gap compared to most TEs out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

It's gonna feel like business as usual if we sign him . Some injury prone over the hill old, slow guy - stop gap . ugh :(

I don't see it that way.  We need not 1, but 2 new TEs.  Our first round pick essentially has to be Chase Young.  We don't have a 2nd.  Can we take a TE in the 3rd or 4th?  Sure, but someone like that might not be ready to start right away.  

Signing Olsen and bringing in a 4th round TE is better than making Austin Hooper the highest paid TE in the league imo.

• Like 1