If the Raiders signed Brady, would you pursue Carr?

malagabears

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I'm a big fan of Derek Carr so I absolutely would go after him but only if he's cut or hits FA. Don't want to give up any additional resources to obtain him.

See, I'd be willing to give up at least a 2nd rounder for him (with some picks or players back in exchange). He's a franchise qb with 3 relatively cheap years left, in terms of QBs, and he's only 28.

If Schefter is right...I'm losing tons of respect for Gruden and Mayock. Carr re-established himself last season, while Brady, finally, looked to start to regress. Also, it's not like the Raiders were a club held back solely by their quarterback play. 

If it does pan out that way...I'd offer quite a bit for Carr. But I'm not Pace, and Pace isn't going after Carr--guaranteed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

If Schefter is right...I'm losing tons of respect for Gruden and Mayock. Carr re-established himself last season, while Brady, finally, looked to start to regress. Also, it's not like the Raiders were a club held back solely by their quarterback play. 

If it does pan out that way...I'd offer quite a bit for Carr. But I'm not Pace, and Pace isn't going after Carr--guaranteed. 

They probably figure Brady is better than Carr with equal weapons. Jacobs is better than any RB that the Pats had & certainly the receivers- if healthy- are better for the Raiders. OL is easily better, too.

They likely think with a better defense and another weapon on offense, Brady is a much better option at QB than Carr. 

If I were a betting man, I might just agree. Only problem is it might only last for another year or two.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They probably figure Brady is better than Carr with equal weapons. Jacobs is better than any RB that the Pats had & certainly the receivers- if healthy- are better for the Raiders. OL is easily better, too.

They likely think with a better defense and another weapon on offense, Brady is a much better option at QB than Carr. 

If I were a betting man, I might just agree. Only problem is it might only last for another year or two.

You could well be right about that--but I think they'd be wrong. Carr is much younger than Brady, and nothing we saw last year should demonstrate to Gruden and Mayock that their SB chances are markedly better with Brady, over Carr. 

But...if they do go that route...Carr will end up on the Colts or Panthers or Patriots or Buccaneers. Because we HAVE TO DEVELOP MITCH! And then Carr will end up having a better chance of winning a Super Bowl...

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm a big fan of Derek Carr so I absolutely would go after him but only if he's cut or hits FA. Don't want to give up any additional resources to obtain him.

I'm not a big Carr fan, but he's outright better than any QB in this draft not named Burrow (unless Tua made a miraculous recovery).

That being said, I just don't see it being a possibility. I really don't think Pace wants to "risk" bringing in any QB that might be considered an outright better option over Mitch on day 1.

It's also for that reason I don't see us using either 2nd rounder on a QB in the draft, and think the absolute best case scenario for us is probably gonna be Anthony Gordon with a trade-down 3rd rounder getting brought in as "Mitch's backup" then getting thrown into the fire around week 10 when Mitch is still Mitch.

FWIW I also don't see Carr being a fit for the offense we're going to be forced to run with our WR group and/or Biscuit, either.... Carr has a big arm, and we pretty blatantly have zero deep threat guys, and really don't push the ball down field. Carr, I think, would probably be best served going to like the Buccs where he can play a more vertical passing game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Epyon said:

FWIW I also don't see Carr being a fit for the offense we're going to be forced to run with our WR group and/or Biscuit, either.... Carr has a big arm, and we pretty blatantly have zero deep threat guys, and really don't push the ball down field. Carr, I think, would probably be best served going to like the Buccs where he can play a more vertical passing game.

Carr is a West Coast QB is he not?

Carr is average.  Any QB you get on open market is going to be average at best (usually).

If you get Carr or anyone like him he is your QB for years and you are stuck in mediocrity.  Is he better than MT?  Yeah, at least right now.

But either way you aren’t winning a title with Carr.  To me its all about trying to win titles.

Bears have to wait for their opportunity for a high potential QB in draft or weird offering and take another swing or hope that MT, against the odds, suddenly becomes good.

Garropolo is better than Carr or MT and still wasn’t good enough with best O line and D line in the game.  Bears are a long way from winning a title with Carr level QB play.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Carr is average.  Any QB you get on open market is going to be average at best (usually).

If you get Carr or anyone like him he is your QB for years and you are stuck in mediocrity.  Is he better than MT?  Yeah, at least right now.

But either way you aren’t winning a title with Carr.  To me its all about trying to win titles.

Bears have to wait for their opportunity for a high potential QB in draft or weird offering and take another swing or hope that MT, against the odds, suddenly becomes good.

Garropolo is better than Carr or MT and still wasn’t good enough with best O line and D line in the game.  Bears are a long way from winning a title with Carr level QB play.

I will take 400 yards, 21 TDs and 6 INTs

That is better than Mitch in 2018 and that team had a chance.