Sign in to follow this  
malagabears

If the Raiders signed Brady, would you pursue Carr?

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It's been 41 games.

Teddy started 28 in Minnesota before destroying his knee. Maybe Teddy's skill set is just a better fit for the offense?

Why can't the Bears wait? Because he was the biggest reason that a playoff expectation season [2019] went into the toilet. Because after 29 starts with Nagy he looks like a lost rookie in the basics of running the offense. Because he went from being average, which isn't good enough, to literally being one of the worst QBs in the league last season.

Keep waiting for consistently average. I would rather pay for average and start looking for better in the draft.

Ok then pay for an average guy like Dalton on a Tannehill like deal from last off season for $10M or less instead of paying $25-30M for Bridgewater on a multi year deal.

Anyone advocating that we sign Teddy B needs to know it's not going to be cheap.

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ok then pay for an average guy like Dalton on a Tannehill like deal from last off season for $10M or less instead of paying $25-30M for Bridgewater on a multi year deal.

Anyone advocating that we sign Teddy B needs to know it's not going to be cheap.

But what if you think that you can get more from Teddy that those guys?

I think Teddy has a very similar skill set to Alex Smith who had a lot of success in this system. If Teddy can be my QB for 2-3 years, maybe more, then why would I not spend money on him?

I would be fine with Dalton, but there is no upside or untapped potential there,

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But what if you think that you can get more from Teddy that those guys?

I think Teddy has a very similar skill set to Alex Smith who had a lot of success in this system. If Teddy can be my QB for 2-3 years, maybe more, then why would I not spend money on him?

I would be fine with Dalton, but there is no upside or untapped potential there,

That's the same as asking the question what if you think you can get more from Trubisky, and that last year was just an aberration?

If we're getting into hypotheticals and not sure things then I'd rather continue on with paying Mitch under a rookie contract and seeing if he can figure it out in the last year of his deal instead of committing loads of guaranteed money and cap space to a QB that's not really worth the cost.

An Alex Smith QB is fine, but Alex Smith has never had much success in the PO's either.  Is that really our bar?

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would rather pay for average and start looking for better in the draft.

These are two contradictory statements.  

If you want just an average QB and to keep looking for better in the draft then in what world does it make sense to spend $25-30M on a placeholder average QB?  That seems like a backwards plan to me.

If that's really the idea then you sign a guy like Dalton or Keenum or someone like that on an affordable year to year deal and you keep drafting QBs and see which one sticks.

If you are signing Teddy you are committing to him for lots of guaranteed money and term.  You sure you want to do that?

Edited by topwop1

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

These are two contradictory statements.  

If you want just an average QB and to keep looking for better in the draft then in what world does it make sense to spend $25-30M on a placeholder average QB?  That seems like a backwards plan to me.

If that's really the idea then you sign a guy like Dalton or Keenum or someone like that on an affordable year to year deal and you keep drafting QBs and see which one sticks.

If you are signing Teddy you are committing to him for lots of guaranteed money and term.  You sure you want to do that?

I think Teddy can be at a minimum average.

I would be signing him to start for 2 years.

I would continue to look to draft and develop someone, likely in 2021, unless Teddy plays really well in 2020. but if Teddy is on the team I do not need to throw my 2021 draft pick to the wolves.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That's the same as asking the question what if you think you can get more from Trubisky, and that last year was just an aberration?

If we're getting into hypotheticals and not sure things then I'd rather continue on with paying Mitch under a rookie contract and seeing if he can figure it out in the last year of his deal instead of committing loads of guaranteed money and cap space to a QB that's not really worth the cost.

An Alex Smith QB is fine, but Alex Smith has never had much success in the PO's either.  Is that really our bar?

At this point for 2020 and 2021 I would kill for an Alex Smith level QB.

How many years does Mitch get to find himself? You are acting like he is a 4th year art student.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think Teddy can be at a minimum average.

I would be signing him to start for 2 years.

I would continue to look to draft and develop someone, likely in 2021, unless Teddy plays really well in 2020. but if Teddy is on the team I do not need to throw my 2021 draft pick to the wolves.

That's what you would want but is that what he will settle for on the open market?  He is going to want long term security and lots of guarantees and I'm sure one desperate team is going to be willing to give him that.  Let's just hope it's not the Bears.

At this point for 2020 and 2021 I would kill for an Alex Smith level QB.

How many years does Mitch get to find himself? You are acting like he is a 4th year art student.

How many years did Alex Smith get to find himself in SF before he turned into a serviceable QB?  At least his rookie contract and then some more years, or am I wrong? 

Again, Smith is another 1st round QB just like Teddy, who had struggled earlier in his career (what is happening to Mitch right now) and turned himself into a good, but not great pro, yet Bears fans act as if he is the savior. LOL SMH.

Might as well just keep Mitch then, no?

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

That's what you would want but is that what he will settle for on the open market?  He is going to want long term security and lots of guarantees and I'm sure one desperate team is going to be willing to give him that.  Let's just hope it's not the Bears.

How many years did Alex Smith get to find himself in SF before he turned into a serviceable QB?  At least his rookie contract and then some more years, or am I wrong? 

Again, Smith is another 1st round QB just like Teddy, who had struggled earlier in his career (what is happening to Mitch right now) and turned himself into a good, but not great pro, yet Bears fans act as if he is the savior. LOL SMH.

Might as well just keep Mitch then, no?

Mitch is gone after this season barring a miracle turn around, so he may turn into something down the road, but it won't be for us.

I am not talking about buying the entire maturation process of Alex Smith. I am talking about buying KC Alex Smith, who is ready to consistently be an average to above average starter.

In my world Teddy is ready tomorrow to be an upgrade to Mitch and provide steady QB play that Mitch cannot. The fact that Min and NO paid for most of the development is just a bonus.

You are acting like every QB that struggles early in their career figures it out like Smith. Maybe instead of Smith, Mitch is more Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert? Based on the skill set he has shown I am leaning Gabbert.

What is the honest upside with Mitch now?

At his peak he was average.

At his lowest he was abysmal.

We have seen him fluctuate between average to miserable. I do not see the upside left in him finding himself.

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What is the honest upside with Mitch now?

At his peak he was average.

At his lowest he was abysmal.

We have seen him fluctuate between average to miserable. I do not see the upside left in him finding himself.

If QB development was linear then there’d be no reason he’s even still in the league but you’re blindly looking at the negative if you don’t see the amount of long time QBs in the league found success on the same or similar career arc Mitch is on right now. If you don’t wanna see it through then so be it but that doesn’t mean those who do are wrong to want to be more patient with the process than you are. Appropriate or not, that draft status buys a lot of front office patience. Sometimes it’s rewarded (Smith, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, etc.) and sometimes not (Harrington, Bortles, etc.). Hell even Peyton Manning, top 5 QB of all time playing in this era, averaged 20 INT/year at a 3.5% INT rate for his first five seasons. Buying a FA on the come hailing from ideal circumstances like Bridgewater (top 3 play caller, top 5 RB, top 3 WR1) has a lot of risk too. There are no guarantees at either end of this equation.

44 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If QB development was linear then there’d be no reason he’s even still in the league but you’re blindly looking at the negative if you don’t see the amount of long time QBs in the league found success on the same or similar career arc Mitch is on right now. If you don’t wanna see it through then so be it but that doesn’t mean those who do are wrong to want to be more patient with the process than you are. Appropriate or not, that draft status buys a lot of front office patience. Sometimes it’s rewarded (Smith, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, etc.) and sometimes not (Harrington, Bortles, etc.). Hell even Peyton Manning, top 5 QB of all time playing in this era, averaged 20 INT/year at a 3.5% INT rate for his first five seasons. Buying a FA on the come hailing from ideal circumstances like Bridgewater (top 3 play caller, top 5 RB, top 3 WR1) has a lot of risk too. There are no guarantees at either end of this equation.

There is more negative than positive, we should plan accordingly.

For every QB who took awhile to develop their is 3x as many who never developed.

We have never seen any sustained excellence from him. Every year that we wait for it to be more than flashes our defense ages and injuries accumulate.

Carr would be a nice fit here. His contract is nice. He is efficient and boring. If Nagy could get him to uncork his arm a little more he would be even more productive.

He could easily be the Bears Alex Smith.

Carr would be a nice fit here. His contract is nice. He is efficient and boring. If Nagy could get him to uncork his arm a little more he would be even more productive.

He could easily be the Bears Alex Smith.

Alex Smith with a stronger arm is an apt comparison I'd say.