If the Raiders signed Brady, would you pursue Carr?

malagabears

I think we need to wrap our heads around that Mitch is still going to get every chance to keep this job. Pace and Nagy can point to Brees and Eli Manning and Roethlisberger and Alex Smith all as high picks who struggled A LOT in years 1-3 (PIT won Ben’s first SB in spite of him) and went on to have great long careers. I mean, the first 3 of those guys are clearly going to Canton. There are definitely examples the other way. More so. But I just can’t see them bailing on him now. You all saw how committed Pace and especially Nagy were to the “good story” when it came to Pineiro, and he’s a kicker they got for a conditional draft pick. Mitch is the guy to whom they both stakes their careers. 

All we can hope for is that he ends up at those guys’ end of the spectrum long term and not the Bortles end. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think we need to wrap our heads around that Mitch is still going to get every chance to keep this job. Pace and Nagy can point to Brees and Eli Manning and Roethlisberger and Alex Smith all as high picks who struggled A LOT in years 1-3 (PIT won Ben’s first SB in spite of him) and went on to have great long careers. I mean, the first 3 of those guys are clearly going to Canton. There are definitely examples the other way. More so. But I just can’t see them bailing on him now. You all saw how committed Pace and especially Nagy were to the “good story” when it came to Pineiro, and he’s a kicker they got for a conditional draft pick. Mitch is the guy to whom they both stakes their careers. 

All we can hope for is that he ends up at those guys’ end of the spectrum long term and not the Bortles end. 

Of course. By no means do I think they will go after Carr, but it certainly makes sense that they do. Unfortunately that post-season press conference made no sense, so again I fully expect them to sign someone like Keenum and then use a 4 or 5 on a prospect.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I would explore the Carr option.

He is consistent and productive.

He will be in the Jimmy G spectrum of ability. We will be in the playoffs but probably never win. Giving away more draft capital scares me as we will be left with nothing to improve this team in 2021 or 2022.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

He will be in the Jimmy G spectrum of ability. We will be in the playoffs but probably never win. Giving away more draft capital scares me as we will be left with nothing to improve this team in 2021 or 2022.

I think Jimmy G is better  than Carr.  Not a lot better, but not a little bit either. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Presumably if you’re trading a pick for Carr you’re not using a high one on a QB in 2021 or 2022 that you otherwise would have, so that part would be a push. 

No...I'm fully committed to giving Mitch more time to develop than I am open to the idea of trading for Derek Carr. 

Carr is not a bad QB but he's also nothing special.  Simply put I am not paying that guy $20M to start here over Mitch.

I just don't get why Bears fans would think that this guy is a good option for us if Gruden and Mayock don't feel he's a good option for the Raiders...can someone run me through that thought process?

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

No...I'm fully committed to giving Mitch more time to develop than I am open to the idea of trading for Derek Carr. 

Carr is not a bad QB but he's also nothing special.  Simply put I am not paying that guy $20M to start here over Mitch.

I just don't get why Bears fans would think that this guy is a good option for us if Gruden and Mayock don't feel he's a good option for the Raiders...can someone run me through that thought process?

Carr is a top 8-12 QB who is still young and affordable relative to other 2nd contract QBs. Mitch has never been better than average and will not remain cheap for long.

That Gruden wants to get rid of him is not necessarily indicative of his ability. Atlanta got rid of Favre. San Diego got rid of Brees.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Carr is a top 8-12 QB who is still young and affordable relative to other 2nd contract QBs. Mitch has never been better than average and will not remain cheap for long.

That Gruden wants to get rid of him is not necessarily indicative of his ability. Atlanta got rid of Favre. San Diego got rid of Brees.

Brees/Favre were not fully developed QBs before they landed on their new teams. I think Carr's ceiling is established. He will not take a significant leap here. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Because they think Brady is better?

9 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Brees/Favre were not fully developed QBs before they landed on their new teams. I think Carr's ceiling is established. He will not take a significant leap here. 

You also have to look at what he's been surrounded by in his time there. He had Amari Cooper for a couple years, but what else besides a great OL.

I also see his ceiling as a top 5-8 QB, with the chance to be more. He had that near MVP level year and has been injured lately, minus last year.

Edited by The_Romen

53 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Top 8-12 QB?  I respectfully disagree.  Here are guys I have for sure rated higher than him:

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Jackson, Watson, Wilson, Wentz, Ryan, Jimmy G, Dak, Cousins, Tannehill, Murray

Edited by topwop1

For the record I do no t think Carr is a bad NFL QB.  He's just not good enough for me to make the switch on a young player that you invested a lot of time and resources into and are committed to developing.

For the money, I'd rather Andy Dalton at $10-12M vs Derek Carr at $20M because they give you the same upside as veteran QBs and one will be much more affordable over the other and has experience playing under our new OC.