If the Raiders signed Brady, would you pursue Carr?

malagabears

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This is what gives me pause

Let’s just say you trade a 2nd round pick for Derek Carr. Who I think is a better QB.

He makes 20 million

What is better for 2020

Austin Hooper (10), Graham Glasgow (8), Jalen Reagor (2nd), Mitch

Or

Derek Carr, Mitch

Option 1 because let's be real, outside of ARob, no QB in this offense would have any reliable weapons to go to nor would they have the blocking needed up front to be very successful at this moment in time.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Let’s just say you trade a 2nd round pick for Derek Carr. Who I think is a better QB.

He makes 20 million

What is better for 2020

Or

Derek Carr, Mitch

If they get Derek Carr, there is absolutely no reason for them to keep Mitch, outside of perverse lunacy. Which would free up money on it's own. But, the team isn't going anywhere without paying for a top notch QB at some point. If you're worried about the money behind it all--work with Mariotta as a temporary starter until Jordan Love is ready. 

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He makes 20 million

What is better for 2020

Or

Derek Carr, Mitch

A good QB is about 8000000x more impactful than a good TE so I’ll say #2.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

A good QB is about 8000000x more impactful than a good TE so I’ll say #2.

Carr is a personnel dependent QB. Put him out there with sub standard supporting talent and it won’t be good.

It is a TE, RG and WR upgrade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, it's clear what the better QB option would be. He even admitted that earlier...odd he's parsing now. 

Carr is the better QB.

But also limits your ability to add talent to the offense.

It is not as simple as simply saying Carr is better than Mitch, because they don’t cost the same.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Carr is the better QB.

But also limits your ability to add talent to the offense.

It is not as simple as simply saying Carr is better than Mitch, because they don’t cost the same.

As I said earlier, at some point, if you have a franchise QB, you have to pay him. 

I also said that if money is such a determining factor--cut Mitch, sign Mariotta for cheap and trade up and draft Love. That's what I'd do. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

As I said earlier, at some point, if you have a franchise QB, you have to pay him. 

I also said that if money is such a determining factor--cut Mitch, sign Mariotta for cheap and trade up and draft Love. That's what I'd do. 

Mariota is worse than Mitch and they do not have the firepower to go to and get Love.

Again you are just wasting cap space and picks that are needed to make the offense better so an average QB can run it.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mariota is worse than Mitch and they do not have the firepower to go to and get Love.

Again you are just wasting cap space and picks that are needed to make the offense better so an average QB can run it.

I'm not certain Mitch is an average starting QB. Are you?

And how can you say they don't have the firepower to get Love? He's likely QB4, or maybe QB5. He's a later half of the first round type of guy, at best. He'd be a lot cheaper than a mega, three first round pick deal next year...

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Carr is a personnel dependent QB. Put him out there with sub standard supporting talent and it won’t be good.

It is a TE, RG and WR upgrade.

If Carr is personnel dependent the Bears should buy low on him now since he just came off a very good season and nobody had heard of a single Raiders WR or TE before this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

If Carr is personnel dependent the Bears should buy low on him now since he just came off a very good season and nobody had heard of a single Raiders WR or TE before this season.

If you had never heard of Hunter Renfrow and Tyrell Williams before this past fall, you were either in a coma or never followed football.

Regardless I do think Miller and Robinson > those two. Waller's an x-factor though. The Bears have no one close to him at TE (obviously).

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You get no benefit from cutting Mitch in 2020 - his salary is 100% guaranteed. 

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not certain Mitch is an average starting QB. Are you?

And how can you say they don't have the firepower to get Love? He's likely QB4, or maybe QB5. He's a later half of the first round type of guy, at best. He'd be a lot cheaper than a mega, three first round pick deal next year...

If they trade both 2nd round picks they can get to 20. He will likely go before that.

If he doesn't he is a prospect with huge question marks that is going to a team with a flawed offense that needs talent and won't be able to draft it.

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

They have a solid WR core, one of the more productive TEs in the league, and arguably the best OL in the league and a stud rookie RB.

Anyone who thinks the Raiders offense lacks talent is not watching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

They have a solid WR core, one of the more productive TEs in the league, and arguably the best OL in the league and a stud rookie RB.

Anyone who thinks the Raiders offense lacks talent is not watching.

The Bears' receiving options are certainly better.

The OL play is something that would obviously need to be fixed through the draft and through improved coaching.