Hunter Henry

Gibster16226

11 minutes ago, Gibster16226 said:

If we can land him in free agency ,  if we can afford to sign him and he is healthy this year!!!! and take dobbins at pick 49 !!!!!  That would be great !!

IF...they can resign Dupree to a long term deal with their typical low yr1 cap hit...AND, not resign Hargraves and cut Vance, Barron, Chick with a few extensions......they might be able to snag a mid tier FA(like Nelson this past year).

• Like 1

The top 5 TE's earn upwards of $8.5m per year AAV. That number kind of levels out to over $7.5m for top 10 TEs at the position. Henry is a free agent, which means he'll be in the top 5 TEs in terms of AAV. 

What you have to do is evaluate the production you get for your $10m per season. He's gonna break the bank. Compared to what you would get at someone that plays for $580,000 cap hit. And determine am i getting my money's worth. Kinda like in baseball.

You're looking at about $200,000 a grab (50 rec's on $10m) on Hunter Henry. So, I'm gonna pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, August4th said:

better off looking at other good tight ends who might hit the market when Ben deal is off the books in 2022

The position will have to be addressed in some way period!  If not we will be listening to the same line we heard when Shazier went down and the MLB position was not adequately addressed. The problem is that our options are limited "right now:"

1. The draft is said to be weak at the TE position.

2. The Steelers have limited cash to sign an upper level free agent like Hunter Henry.

Maybe some things change:

1. Someone lets go of a decent TE due to salary cap or improved play from a younger player.  

2. Someone emerges as being better than you expected when evaluating.  (Heck George Kittle was a third rounder).

3. Vannett, Gentry or CSW improve or step their game(s) up. Someone emerges as the Alpha TE.  

Personally, I think that Vannett can be a decent TE1 for the Steelers with Big Ben at QB.  He would probably be best suited as a TE2, but he does offer some hope in my eyes as I don't think he has hit his ceiling yet.  I think that you have to play the scenario out and see what opens up.  Maybe a team like Tampa Bay is willing to move on from Cameron Brate or OJ Howard.  The Steelers don't have a lot of trade bait in terms of picks in 2020 and you certainly don't want to mortgage out any future picks after only having six in 2020.  

I want Henry too but I have a feeling the FO is going to bank on Vance having a bounce back season with Ben coming back. Ideally he comes back on a cheaper deal but we’ll see.

I like where your heads at with Dobbins at 49. Taking a running back at 49 is our best chance to improve our team/offense immediately and maximize Ben’s last few seasons. Conner is great but he’s proven we can’t rely on him for 16 games let alone a deep post season run.

We are guaranteed to get one of Dobbins, Swift, Taylor, CEH, or Akers at 49 and all are STUDS that have first round talent. I personally love Akers and CEH the most.

Unless a miracle new cba goes into effect immediately where we can punt some of ben an cam money down the road i think vance is gonna have to be our guy next year.

As for rb in the 2nd i am a fan of dobbins there. I know swift and taylor may be better rbs but they are so similar to conner thst i dont think it really adds more than a healthy power option all season long. Dobbins is more splash plays and the part i think our offense lacked most outside of a healthy ben. Akers i would rather have a look on the 3rd, but once again the splash plays are that guys flavor. 

The RB position needs totally revamped like the TE position. Ideally, I'd like Jaylen Samuels moved to fullback to open up a RB spot on the roster. We do not have the right medley of backs. In his exit interview, put on ten pounds of rock or else start thinking about a different career choice. He has outstanding hands, but just some 80 speed. You're gonna get jacked and learn how to block and you're gonna be my fullback. Keep in mind - this is where people had him at the draft. You get out in space more quickly on blocks, you are a threat out of the backfield (Juszcyk), and also present h-back solutions. A creative OC would have a field day with this guy. Benny Snell is too slow. But he has great vision. If he can lose weight, just like Bell, who had the same scouting report. "Quicksand. Must get faster. Or fatter." Conner is a good 143 carry, 700+ yards option. I consider him my #2. That means #1 is open. To even Conner. 

My top guys for our backfield. DeeJay Dallas remind me of Zeke. AJ Dillon reminds me of Bettis. I wish I could get both.

RB - Dillon, Conner, Dallas

3RB - Dallas

FB - Samuels

WB/Slot - Bell

And I'd move Snell for Bell.