Superb Owl Discussion Thread

MacReady

52 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Makes losing to him all the more frustrating. But I think Kirk completes that.

I think my whole view of Guwop would have changed on that drive if they scored.

Yeah, have to agree.  I didn't think either QB played particularly excellent last night.  There was a stretch by Mahomie after his second interception where you could see his confidence was really shook. He was literally trying to guide the ball, instead of throwing it.  His nerves looked shot....then boom - hit's the long one to Hill (which if he hit's him in stride, he's in for the TD) and the game turned around.  

Peter Bukowski -  The Packers allowed 6.8 YPC against the 49ers in the NFCCG The Chiefs allowed 6.4 YPC against the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Don’t overstate the “stop the run,” impact. Chiefs got the turnover GB couldn’t and scored when the game was still in doubt.

• When Mahomes needed to throw underneath or break the pocket to create, he has a slew of matchup players to find. Two matchup nightmares and another good WR. The Packers are at least one guy short there. It makes a HUGE difference.
  • This is also the game I'll point to for the "Make Rodgers play on script" crowd. Mahomes made nearly every big play yesterday by playing unorthodox or off-schedule football. In the playoffs, it's often necessary against great defenses. Just don't ONLY play that way.

If anyone wants to get a good idea on why I don't think the Chiefs will be back,

Claiborne, Breeland, Fuller - All free agents, all in the secondary.

Wisniewski is a free agent. 

Emmanuel Ogbah and Mike Pennel are all free agents on the DL. 

What do all five of those players have in common?  All 5 were key role players/contributors that were NOT drafted by the Chiefs and all of them were added in the last one or two years. 

Paying a QB that kind of money does not allow for that many outside additions.  If you don't think 6 players is a lot, that's just the outside additions that are impending free agents this year. 

Damien Willliams, LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Austin Reiter, Frank Clark, Xavier Williams, Anthony Hitchens, Darron Lee, Damien Wilson, Tyrann Mathieu and Alex Okafor are all players that were added from different teams in the last two years. 

Doesn't seem like a lot, but it kinda is considering how much they had to spend on Clark.  Bottom line is that they are not going to be able to bring in outside help as frequently as they have once they sign Mahomes. 

This is also the game I'll point to for the "Make Rodgers play on script" crowd. Mahomes made nearly every big play yesterday by playing unorthodox or off-schedule football. In the playoffs, it's often necessary against great defenses. Just don't ONLY play that way.

The difference between Mahomes playing off script and Rodgers playing off script is 12 years and three receivers and a TE who are better than any two Packer receivers combined outside of Adams. 

Why is this the case?  Because the Packers are paying Rodgers and not paying Mahomes. 

The Chiefs can use all their draft capital on women abusers and speedsters while the Packers have to use that draft capital on defense and OL.

Never try learning lessons from a Super Bowl winner when they're paying a QB on a rookie contract.  Ever. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, have to agree.  I didn't think either QB played particularly excellent last night.  There was a stretch by Mahomie after his second interception where you could see his confidence was really shook. He was literally trying to guide the ball, instead of throwing it.  His nerves looked shot....then boom - hit's the long one to Hill (which if he hit's him in stride, he's in for the TD) and the game turned around.  

Something to remember moving forward perhaps? Makes me wonder how he would've fared against Baltimore in the playoffs had they played...

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

*Cue Outpost's soapbox*

Image result for soapbox"

Now here's mine:

Outpost basically listed a ton of guys that didn't contribute to the win at all and claimed that they were important pieces to the puzzle. These players are not all too different from the players we've added over the same period of time he used in his analysis when it comes to production and impact.

Sure, Mahomes has better weapons, but KC's middle-of-the-pack defense was able to shut down SF's offense. Not only that, but they were worse against the run during the regular season than we were; yet they showed up when they needed to and why is that? Their DC is better than ours. I'll give you that their talent at LB is greater than ours, but is their DL really that much better than ours? Not so sure. In any event, Spagnolo prepared better than Pettine did for SF and got some help from Shanahan when he decided to change his strategy in the 4th, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they held them to 10 points in the first half AND were able to consistently get pressure with their front-7. 

So yes, we need a couple more weapons on offense and we all know this; but we need a new vision on defense to facilitate the success of the offense. We've been wasting Rodgers' career on terrible defenses led by bad coaching just like we did with Favre and we should demand that our front office is more cutthroat and aggressive on this matter...

Just now, Joe said:

Outpost basically listed a ton of guys that didn't contribute to the win at all...

Lol?  Did you watch the game? 

Damien Williams had 104 rushing yards, 29 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.
Wisniewski and Reiter were starting offensive linemen. 
Sammy Watkins had 5 receptions for 98 yards. 
Kendall Fuller had the game-sealing interception. 
Mike Pennel had a pass deflection. 
Breeland had an interception.  Also 6 tackles and 2 tackles for loss and was a legitimate MVP candidate. 
Frank Clark had a sack and a tackle for a loss. 
Damien Wilson had 4 tackles.
Hitchens had 4 tackles. 
Tyran Mathieu had 6 tackles. 

That's not contributing?  Lololololololololololol

10 starters. 
104 rushing yards.
127 receiving yards.
2 touchdowns.
2 interceptions.
1 sack.
3 tackles for loss.
12 + tackles

= Not a lot of contribution.

Lolololololololol

Edited by Outpost31

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The difference between Mahomes playing off script and Rodgers playing off script is 12 years and three receivers and a TE who are better than any two Packer receivers combined outside of Adams. 

Why is this the case?  Because the Packers are paying Rodgers and not paying Mahomes. 

The Chiefs can use all their draft capital on women abusers and speedsters while the Packers have to use that draft capital on defense and OL.

Never try learning lessons from a Super Bowl winner when they're paying a QB on a rookie contract.  Ever. 

And sometimes they are not mutually exclusive! 

Do we even have 10 players on our entire roster who have never played for another team?  Because 10 players acquired via trade and free agency to not only start in but have an impact on the game is pretty ****ing significant if you ask me.

That’s not considering others like Suggs who might have had more of an impact as far as leadership.  

And Claiborne.  Not sure if he played though.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The difference between Rodgers and Mahomes going off script is that Rodgers goes off script for no discernible reason at all. Mahomes goes off script when things break down.