Superb Owl Discussion Thread

MacReady

“You paying the guy $140 million, $130 million, whatever he’s getting paid, man. He’s gotta throw the ball. Obviously he didn’t do that. They threw for about 200 yards on checkdowns; that ain’t enough to win a game against us.”

Frank Clark

Just now, Toddfather said:

Just shows a combination of drafting, and fa plays a role. They don't all have to be the Smiths every year. I know Gute will bring in some more talent and depth. I still think we have a decent window.

2020 is our last legitimate shot at winning a Super Bowl.  Unless Rodgers significantly reworks his deal.  Thanks to his restructure, he counts only 21 million against the cap next year.  In 2021, that cap hit jumps right back up to 36 million.  Can you imagine Aaron Rodgers two full years from now getting paid 36 million dollars against the cap because I don't want to imagine that.

• Like 1

Just now, JBURGE said:

The chiefs don't have a single defensive starter who was a 1st round pick. The only player on their active roster on defense that was a 1st rounder is mo Claiborne. Idk about their IR. 

That's crazy 

Don't say this.  It will give people ideas. 

To be fair though, I don't think our first has to be a defensive player this year.  If it's not defense it's gotta be OT though. 

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

2020 is our last legitimate shot at winning a Super Bowl.  Unless Rodgers significantly reworks his deal.  Thanks to his restructure, he counts only 21 million against the cap next year.  In 2021, that cap hit jumps right back up to 36 million.  Can you imagine Aaron Rodgers two full years from now getting paid 36 million dollars against the cap because I don't want to imagine that.

So I'm no cap expert or anything. For next season, they just transferred some of the money into a bonus, correct? Can he move his cap hit around again, or are there limitations to this? Just curious, because I do agree 36 mil is a hell of a lot. Better draft like a beast the next two years.

Just now, Toddfather said:

So I'm no cap expert or anything. For next season, they just transferred some of the money into a bonus, correct? Can he move his cap hit around again, or are there limitations to this? Just curious, because I do agree 36 mil is a hell of a lot. Better draft like a beast the next two years.

I know Favre and Peyton Manning were restructuring virtually every year towards the ends of their careers, but Aaron Rodgers at 36 million and 38 years old is not going to work.  It would take more than a restructure to fix that I think. 

I'm just going to sit in a corner and cry about the fact that I was the only one prepared to trade Rodgers before the 2017 season when everyone still thought he was the best QB in the league. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't say this.  It will give people ideas. 

To be fair though, I don't think our first has to be a defensive player this year.  If it's not defense it's gotta be OT though. 

I'm just pointing out how absurd it is. Obviously. Mahomes' cap hit is again a reason they can fit so many guys in. It just blew my mind when I saw that 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

The thing about transferring money into a bonus is that it stretches it out into other years.

For example if you have a guy on a 4/40 contract that's set like: 10/10/10/10, with each year being 9 million and 1 million in bonuses, and he plays the first year and you restructure 9 million worth of salary of his second year into a bonus, you end up with a cap hit structure of 10/4/13/13. The money gets deferred into later years.

Not a perfect explanation but you see how that deferment pushes money into later years.

You also can't do anything with the part you already deferred from a cap perspective, because the player already has the money.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The thing about transferring money into a bonus is that it stretches it out into other years.

For example if you have a guy on a 4/40 contract that's set like: 10/10/10/10, with each year being 9 million and 1 million in bonuses, and he plays the first year and you restructure 9 million worth of salary of his second year into a bonus, you end up with a cap hit structure of 10/4/13/13. The money gets deferred into later years.

Not a perfect explanation but you see how that deferment pushes money into later years.

You also can't do anything with the part you already deferred from a cap perspective, because the player already has the money.

appreciate the information.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, Joe said:

This is the second Superb Owl that Kyle Shanahan has thrown away down the stretch...

Granted, the Pats DID film the Falcons' SB walkthrough by flying a drone over their stadium, but yeah.

But I'm pleased with the result. Pats dynasty is over and Jimmy G chokes in the SB. Also glad we apparently gave the Chiefs the blue print to heave that 44 yard completion which set the tone for said chokejob. 

Edited by KManX89

It’s just BS that there’s that much smoke.  It’s like... the ****tiest Belichick coaching tree teams have absolutely crushed the Patriots.  Belichick has a losing record against his former coaches.  The ****ing Lions beat them last year.  Probably because they know how Belichick cheats.  

• Like 1