Sign in to follow this  
Boltstrikes

Coach Lynn extended

Interesting to extend after a season earning the 7th overall pick. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Boltstrikes

Seems like they are giving him a chance to get "his guy" at QB to see how he does. 

Says one of two things to me and I'm not sure which:

1) Dean's not ready yet to blame Telesco, but Telesco realizes his seat may, existentially (i.e. everywhere but in Spanos' office), be getting a little heat, so this is putting up a protective barrier, realizing that Dean would then need to incur the cost of firing both him and paying out Lynn's contract.

2) The organization (your opinion is as good as mine on who all that entails) realizes that the issue/area where improvement is most needed is in the talent acquisition/evaluation department not in the "once they hit the field"/culture department.  This is the thing that I can't help but feel like is a bit overoptimistic on my part.

I like coach Lynn personally, just not sure he’s an X’s and O’s coach that can match wits with the better coaches in the league.

This seemed as good a place to drop this as any.  The Chargers did something... smart(?!).

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

This seemed as good a place to drop this as any.  The Chargers did something... smart(?!).

I wanted Bill Callahan when he was available but Campen isn't bad.

Color me surprised by the Lynn extension. I thought he was going to play out this year like McCoy did to see how he would fare.

Since I’m a huge OL nerd and like to do research on random things, here’s what I got on Campen. 

He’s been an absolute monster at developing players. But the question that I have is if the development was more on the side of identifying talent or if it was actual development of skill. Maybe it’s a bit of both, but there’s something there. He supposedly had a huge say in who was drafted in the Packers, and I’m hoping that we give him that chance here. He’s got a huge focus on athleticism similar to Meyer, but has done a better job on figuring out how to develop an anchor. 

As someone else had a video on, he teaches a “hug” technique where instead of trying to win inside leverage, OTs actually give up their chest and shoot outside of the frame while squaring up the defender, which avoids a hold since they’re squared up, but prevents them from getting out of being squared up. It’s a really interesting strategy and when it works it works really well. So overall wanting a similar type of player with some different techniques that will hopefully improve the development. 

But the biggest thing is the development piece. So let’s take a look at his draft history. 

4th: Allen Barbre 

4th: Josh Sitton 

5th: Breno Giacomini

4th: TJ Lang

5th: Jamon Meredith

1st: Brian Bulaga 

5th: Marshall Newhouse 

1st: Derrick Sherrod

6th: Caleb Schrauderhoff

7th: Andrew Datko 

4th: JC Tretter

4th: David Bakhtiri 

5th: Corey Linsley 

2nd: Jason Spriggs

7th: Kyle Murphy 

6th: Kofi Amicha

These are absolutely insane results. Really the only person he didn’t get through to is Jason Spriggs. Sherrod has some good moments but absolutely got destroyed by injuries akin to Lamp. Everyone else that didn’t meet/exceed expectations was a 6th or 7th rounder where the expectation is realistically borderline making the team. 

But looking all the way into skill set and all of that. You see a theme and it comes with the whole agility thing. 

A packers fan and a really good analytics guy (had a great breakdown of what the packers selected in their OL early). So basically we’re looking for blind side protectors with really good agility and ability to get out of their stance quickly. 

Where it gets interesting is that that is the same kind of profile that Meyer drafted for and a LOT of our guys fit exactly that qualification. Lamp, Pipkins, Okung, Schoefield, and Tevi falls BARELY under that threshold with a 7.84 3 cone instead of a 7.7.  Feeney, Quessenberry and Pouncey fit into everything except for playing LT in college. So we have a ton of guys who really fit the scheme. Quessenberry has a crazy similar athletic profile to Tretter, to the point where it’s almost scary. Biggest difference is the arm length and OT background. The other thing that is shown in his draft history is that he hasn’t been afraid to take smaller school guys or projects (Lang, Tretter, Barbre etc), which is also a good sign for Pipkins. 

Now onto the fun part....who fits the mold for this year.  Now we don’t have the athletic numbers yet, but there are a couple of guys that make sense if they hit the agility threshold. Along with all of the top OT’s (doubt Becton hits the agility threshold, but Thomas, Wirfs, Willis, Jones, Jackson) saadhiq Charles (who I REALLY want to see work with Campen) Ben Bartch (dame), Trey Adams, Prince, Cleveland, Adenji, Charlie Heck, and my draft crush Cam Clark along with a few other names. But those are the guys that I think have a really good shot at hitting the threshold. So the combine will definitely be something to watch as far as the OL goes.

Edited by Duffman57

After watching some more tape on him.  There isn't a player that fits this scheme better than Saahdiq Charles...He perfectly embodies the technique.  When he's good, he looks like Bakhtiari clone.  When he's bad he's real bad, but those are mostly fixable flaws.  He's a guy that could end up being a top 5 type of OT if he hits, and you can get him at a discount because of those lows.  He has very quickly jumped to the top of my want list. 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:43 AM, Duffman57 said:

Since I’m a huge OL nerd and like to do research on random things, here’s what I got on Campen.

You got a good one in Campen.  He's probably the only coach from the McCarthy era that Packers fans were disappointed they didn't retain.  He was loyal to McCarthy, so it makes sense that he wasn't going to be retained but it was disappointing nonetheless.  He's one of the best OL coaches in the game.

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You got a good one in Campen.  He's probably the only coach from the McCarthy era that Packers fans were disappointed they didn't retain.  He was loyal to McCarthy, so it makes sense that he wasn't going to be retained but it was disappointing nonetheless.  He's one of the best OL coaches in the game.

Yeah he’s done really well and did good with what he was able to with the Browns. Just sometimes you can’t put everything together in 1 season. Really glad we got him. He’s a great hire. Particularly because we’ve struggled drafting linemen in the past and he can be a voice in the draft room. Hopefully he can be a constant for this OL that desperately needs consistency.