Offseason Talk:

whodatworm23

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Perhaps...but there have been lots of guys before him with similar styles...Tebow, Newton, Jackson, Allen, and Culpepper who lasted a handful of years.

Not so much his style I’m looking at...I’m more pointing to the fact that as a 5 year starter in college, Taysom played exactly 0 full seasons.

You can’t have an injury prone QB, its an absolute death sentence.

41 minutes ago, Dome said:

Not so much his style I’m looking at...I’m more pointing to the fact that as a 5 year starter in college, Taysom played exactly 0 full seasons.

No doubt there is risk evolved and I agree that the injury history is my biggest concern, however he’s been in the NFL for 3 seasons now and appears to have put those injuries behind him. The biggest thing with Hill and even he mentioned this during Super Bowl week is that as a starting QB he will need to protect his body more. To many believe that Hill is just a bulldozer as a runner, actually if you watch his plays in the preseason when he runs the ball from the QB position when plays break down (not designed runs) he actually does a very good job of sliding, getting out of bounds and protecting himself.

Im willing to take the risk because his upside is tremendous if it works. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

No doubt there is risk evolved and I agree that the injury history is my biggest concern, however he’s been in the NFL for 3 seasons now and appears to have put those injuries behind him.

A majority of those three years here were with him used sparingly. Even this year he was only in on 23% of offensive plays, and many of those were running routes where he wasn’t getting hit. He hovered more around 30-40% in the last 5-6 games of the season, but that’s still not even close to full time starter numbers. If we’re talking about turning him into a run first QB that’s about 15/20 more hits per game, as an estimate.

Thats a lot more than he’s taking right now. It’s a big consideration, and I don’t know if pointing to his 3 healthy years in the NFL tells the whole story when you look at his snap counts, and what they would be as a starter.

Edited by Dome

57 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’d be more concerned if he had persistent injuries. He’s been able to stay healthy for a handful of years as a pro. There is a chance that he could have just had a string of bad luck in college. He was heavily utilized in a much more physical role the past few seasons than he likely will have as a QB, and he’s held up. 

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’d be more concerned if he had persistent injuries. He’s been able to stay healthy for a handful of years as a pro. 

He still played less than a quarter of the snaps on offense this year, and many of those were without the ball in his hand. 2018 he played 17% of the offensive snaps. His rookie season he played one offensive snap. Giving him 3 years credit for the number of snaps he’s played is a bit of a stretch when looking at him as a starter.

If we’re talking about making Taysom the full time QB we’re talking about putting the ball in his hands roughly 10x (likely more) the number of times he’s doing it now. That’s huge.

Edited by Dome

And this isn’t even considering we lose his versatility as a blocker, receiver and change of pace QB. 

I think doing anything other than keep Taysom in his current role is a mistake. We’ll see if time is kind to me.

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, Dome said:

And this isn’t even considering we lose his versatility as a blocker, receiver and change of pace QB. 

I think doing anything other than keep Taysom in his current role is a mistake. We’ll see if time is kind to me.

Hill plays a lot like Russell Wilson from the pocket... now I’m not saying he’s Russ. However he is a better athlete than Russ and it’s my opinion he’s every bit the passer that Dak Prescott is. I do believe that Hill is underrated as a passer and I do see his progression in that area since his arrival in NOLA. Then there is Sean Payton, I believe Payton when he says Hill is a franchise QB. He says it with conviction and I trust Payton with this decision and I trust Payton to design an offense that best utilizes Hills skillset and I trust Hill to understand  that as the featured QB protecting his body is part of the job moving forward.  

Im also a big believer that the game has changed and players with Hills skillset are the new wave. You have got to be able to move and improvise from the quarterback position these days. I see Steve Young as Hills ceiling and if he flops then he flops and we look to the draft for the next guy. Teddy is a good kid and a solid QB but I’m not for going safe at quarterback, I’d go big until I get it right. I don’t want to settle for average. 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

He still played less than a quarter of the snaps on offense this year, and many of those were without the ball in his hand. 2018 he played 17% of the offensive snaps. His rookie season he played one offensive snap. Giving him 3 years credit for the number of snaps he’s played is a bit of a stretch when looking at him as a starter.

If we’re talking about making Taysom the full time QB we’re talking about putting the ball in his hands roughly 10x (likely more) the number of times he’s doing it now. That’s huge.

At the same time, he would not be getting hit every play at QB. He gets hit EVERY TIME he plays TE, FB, or plays on special teams. Yes...we lose some versatility, but should we really be relying heavily on Taysom Hill as a TE and special teams player? That speaks to the lack of depth at those positions, and the need to get Taysom Hill on the field at all costs. And not to mention, right now there is a very high percentage of run plays when he is on the field. That ratio will decline if he settles into a more full-time QB role.

I think that the Saints hope that Brees comes back this year, while expanding the role for Taysom Hill at QB. I don't think that the plan is for the Saints to jump straight in head first with Hill as a full time QB. I think that they go 70% Brees, 30% Hill this year. It defies conventional wisdom about two QB systems in the NFL, but I firmly believe that is probably what's going to happen based on the information in front of it. And as crazy as it seems, it is not a horrible plan...because we still have the pieces in place to division favorites in spite of whoever lines up at QB this season. 

56 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Looking towards the draft... what positions do y’all see the Saints targeting in round 1? Do y’all see them being aggressive or sitting pat?

anybody else interested in bringing in Vic Beasley to see if he’d fit better with us as a situational pass rusher?

WR or LB in Round 1 would be my guess.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

At the same time, he would not be getting hit every play at QB. He gets hit EVERY TIME he plays TE, FB, or plays on special teams

Unfortunately, being contacted as part of blocking/running a route isn’t the same as being drug to the turf when you’re a ball carrier.

Every time Michael Thomas or Kamara gets wrapped up, I hold my breath that they don't get a joint rolled over on the way down.

If Taysom was our QB I'd be feeling the same way about him every time he runs.

And if he's our full time QB he's going to run a LOT. 
And when his teams in the past have asked him to run a LOT he's put his body on the line and paid for it each and every time.

He's a weapon, not a cornerstone.

Keep Taysom where he's at (assuming teddy is gone). #2 QB that sees the field less roughly half the snaps at #2 TE, FB, Slot WR. Keep him in a constant rotation with about 5-10 touches per game and another 15-20 snaps where he's blocking or running routes.

IMO the moment we're relying on Taysom Hill to be more than a piece to our offense, we've gone too far. We've jumped the shark. 

He's perfect where he's at. If we want to find a mobile QB to take us into the future, great. Lets not do that with a 29 year old (will be 30 by Week 1) glass cannon.

That strategy is just begging for an amazing first 6 weeks, until he breaks himself and is done for the year. I really think it's an awful plan. 

Edited by Dome

16 hours ago, Dome said:

Every time Michael Thomas or Kamara gets wrapped up, I hold my breath that they don't get a joint rolled over on the way down.

If Taysom was our QB I'd be feeling the same way about him every time he runs.

And if he's our full time QB he's going to run a LOT. 
And when his teams in the past have asked him to run a LOT he's put his body on the line and paid for it each and every time.

He's a weapon, not a cornerstone.

Keep Taysom where he's at (assuming teddy is gone). #2 QB that sees the field less roughly half the snaps at #2 TE, FB, Slot WR. Keep him in a constant rotation with about 5-10 touches per game and another 15-20 snaps where he's blocking or running routes.

IMO the moment we're relying on Taysom Hill to be more than a piece to our offense, we've gone too far. We've jumped the shark. 

He's perfect where he's at. If we want to find a mobile QB to take us into the future, great. Lets not do that with a 29 year old (will be 30 by Week 1) glass cannon.

That strategy is just begging for an amazing first 6 weeks, until he breaks himself and is done for the year. I really think it's an awful plan. 

So it’s safe to say you would have a hard time being a Ravens fan...

19 hours ago, JMG5 said:

WR or LB in Round 1 would be my guess.

Agreed... I’d love Queen but I feel he’ll go top 20. Jefferson is a great fit as well at WR. Saints might run out of excuses to not draft LSU round 1. Not saying it’s a must but looking at the selection 24 and needs LB,WR,CB their is a chance Queen, Jefferson and Fulton are all on the board.