Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
whodatworm23

Offseason Talk:

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

So it’s safe to say you would have a hard time being a Ravens fan...

Jackson didn’t end 5 college seasons early with injury IIRC

Of course every fan worries *a bit* about their favorite player going down with an injury. But Taysom has proven he’ll get hurt every time he’s asked to go a full season as a starter. Every. Time. 
 

relying on that is a gigantic risk, especially when you’re building an offense around him. The “building the offense around him” part is why the ravens kept RGIII around this year 

 

the fact of the matter is, he’s going to be 30 by preseason and he’s never once played a full season as a starter.

He’s batting .000 on 8 seasons so far in that regard.

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Jackson didn’t end 5 college seasons early with injury IIRC

Of course every fan worries *a bit* about their favorite player going down with an injury. But Taysom has proven he’ll get hurt every time he’s asked to go a full season as a starter. Every. Time. 
 

relying on that is a gigantic risk, especially when you’re building an offense around him. The “building the offense around him” part is why the ravens kept RGIII around this year 

I’d imagine if Payton was to build this offense around Hill... he’d invest in a backup capable of running it. Maybe Jalen Hurts of Oklahoma or a veteran like Mariota or someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I’d imagine if Payton was to build this offense around Hill... he’d invest in a backup capable of running it. Maybe Jalen Hurts of Oklahoma or a veteran like Mariota or someone else.

If we’re going with Hurts, I’d just as soon turn him into the starter and keep Taysom in the role he’s already thriving in.

 

Id love Mariota as part of a QB committee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dome said:

If we’re going with Hurts, I’d just as soon turn him into the starter and keep Taysom in the role he’s already thriving in.

 

Id love Mariota as part of a QB committee 

But do you recognize that Payton is infatuated with Hill, calls him a franchise QB and future starter sooner rather than later.

 

are you of the belief than Payton is spewing smoke or do you realize Hill will be the next guy and you just disagree with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

But do you recognize that Payton is infatuated with Hill, calls him a franchise QB and future starter sooner rather than later.

 

are you of the belief than Payton is spewing smoke or do you realize Hill will be the next guy and you just disagree with it?


I’m 50/50 on what I think Payton is really getting at here

 

if he’s not just trying to get someone to pony up a 2nd and he actually believes the things hes said about Hill IMO he’s delusional.

 

Payton compared him Steve Young and then kept him on the bench when Brees got hurt.

that speaks volumes to how much stock Payton puts into his own words 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dome said:


I’m 50/50 on what I think Payton is really getting at here

 

if he’s not just trying to get someone to pony up a 2nd and he actually believes the things hes said about Hill IMO he’s delusional.

 

Payton compared him Steve Young and then kept him on the bench when Brees got hurt.

that speaks volumes to how much stock Payton puts into his own words 

I agree somewhat,,, however he’s been talking up Hill for 3 years and his convection has only gotten stronger. That’s one hell of a long term plan just to land a 2nd round pick IMO. We both know Payton has a major ego and Hill is his pet project. Payton has always been enamored with mobile quarterbacks, he was close to drafting Mahomes. Seriously considered Lamar Jackson from what the rumors say. Payton sees how this position is evolving and might want to get ahead of the curb with Hill. Look, Lamar was a fantastic college QB, but many thought he was a serious liability as a passer and would get broken up in the NFL... he’s the MVP.

 

The injuries will always follow Hill from his college days but people quickly forget that he was a very special QB in college who was in the Heisman discussion until one of his injuries. I’m with you with the concern over the injuries but to say Hill can’t be a productive and dynamic NFL QB I think is wrong, especially with Payton designing plays for him. Funny thing is that when your as athletic as a Hill is and as such a threat in the run game you don’t need to be as accurate in the passing game as windows tend to be wider due to the field opening up. 

 

Some might see it as you do, a joke as Hill at quarterback but it’s thqt line of thinking that Payton likely relishes because if he makes it work he’s just that much more of an offensive genius.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they need to rework/ extend Jackrabbit he looked good for us... way better than Apple looked at any point this year IMO! Also need to get a reliable # 2 receiver. Work Harris into the Tyrek Hill roll. Also resign Bell. Brees will be back.. We all know this! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Baldbob said:

I think they need to rework/ extend Jackrabbit he looked good for us... way better than Apple looked at any point this year IMO! Also need to get a reliable # 2 receiver. Work Harris into the Tyrek Hill roll. Also resign Bell. Brees will be back.. We all know this! 

I’m not so sure as I used to be on Brees... I’d say 50/50 right now between the field and the booth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I’m not so sure as I used to be on Brees... I’d say 50/50 right now between the field and the booth.

I'd say I'm about 90% sure he's coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, Dome said:

I'd say I'm about 90% sure he's coming back.

Another lil nugget for the potential of Brees coming back for another season, the Saints would love to see Bree back for a few reasons...

1. He’s still playing really well

2. It gives them a chance to break Taysom Hill in Easy at the position if they are serious about him as their future starter.

3. Most importantly, the new NFL CBA is expected to be signed within the next 3-7 months and with that will come a spike in cap space, this space would serve to absorb Brees dead money hit the team is destined to take when Brees does retire. It’s perfect timing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a dark horse QB for us if Brees retires might be Derek Carr.  The Raiders have no obligations to Carr if they release or trade him so if they were to bring in Brady, that could make Carr available in one form or another.  If he can get back to the level of play that had him in the running for MVP before his injury, which with Payton directing him isn't out of the question, it would be a really good fit IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees ain't retiring, he talked about his willingness to share snaps with Taysom next year. Sounds like a guy who's got his mind made up, regardless of what he's told or not told anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, I don’t think Brees will retire this year and I believe Hill will get more snaps and be given more chances. Bridgewater will leave. 

I wouldn’t be upset if we roll with Hill though and if he gets injured, so be it, we will get a good draft pick. 
 

I think Taysom will be scary to play against just cause of the way he uses his body.  Your not worried about Jackson or Watson putting a shoulder into a defender.

I still have a feeling we’re going to draft Fromm for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ckoz24 said:

First off, I don’t think Brees will retire this year and I believe Hill will get more snaps and be given more chances. Bridgewater will leave. 

I wouldn’t be upset if we roll with Hill though and if he gets injured, so be it, we will get a good draft pick. 
 

I think Taysom will be scary to play against just cause of the way he uses his body.  Your not worried about Jackson or Watson putting a shoulder into a defender.

I still have a feeling we’re going to draft Fromm for some reason.

I had the same feelings about Fromm until I realized that it was because there are similarities between he a Brees when it comes to their college careers and character/leadership. However I like many Saints fans needed to wrap my head around the fact that once Brees is gone this offense isn’t remaining the same and were not looking for a poor mans version of Brees to plug in. If that was the case, we’d just move on with Teddy B. Payton has made statements in the past about the intrigue of coaching a mobile quarterback and the opportunities that presents itself as far as play-calling.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×