Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
whodatworm23

Offseason Talk:

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I had 8 mill per as my celing as to what id be willing to bring Bell back at. Obviously he is asking for more than that. Once Jenkins became available i knew Bells time was done here. I knew payton was gonna go get Jenkins. Hell it was payton who broke the news that we had a deal. Jenkins getting away always stung Payton so he rights that wrong. As for Bell im sad hes gonna be elsewhere but kinda figured it. Bell ia a better overall run defender but jenkins is better in coverage and a better tackler. I think CGJ also made this deal easier for the saints but NO ONE can tell me that this move wasnt done with Tom Brady in mind. Having a veteran leader and cover guy like Jenkins will pay off better vs Brady now than what Bells run defense would have. The division is changing so shall we.

Don't forget CGJ is a monster against the run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFC South looks like a meat grinder.  And there's no Winston around to make things hilarious anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I had 8 mill per as my celing as to what id be willing to bring Bell back at. Obviously he is asking for more than that. Once Jenkins became available i knew Bells time was done here. I knew payton was gonna go get Jenkins. Hell it was payton who broke the news that we had a deal. Jenkins getting away always stung Payton so he rights that wrong. As for Bell im sad hes gonna be elsewhere but kinda figured it. Bell ia a better overall run defender but jenkins is better in coverage and a better tackler. I think CGJ also made this deal easier for the saints but NO ONE can tell me that this move wasnt done with Tom Brady in mind. Having a veteran leader and cover guy like Jenkins will pay off better vs Brady now than what Bells run defense would have. The division is changing so shall we.

I saw a great PFF comparison between the two on Twitter. Jenkins overall rating is slightly better, but yea, he's weaker in the run game. As mentioned, that's where CGJ comes in. He's a monster against the run, and hits like a truck. The dude loves contact!

Edited by Mid Iowa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from his on field performance, I gotta say one aspect I'm looking forward to in Jenkins is leadership. Marcus Williams in particular is coming up on a key year. If anyone can take him under his wing and help him iron out the kinks, I'm sure Jenkins will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Apart from his on field performance, I gotta say one aspect I'm looking forward to in Jenkins is leadership. Marcus Williams in particular is coming up on a key year. If anyone can take him under his wing and help him iron out the kinks, I'm sure Jenkins will.

Report out that Bell turned down 7.5 per year from Saints right before team went with Jenkins. If this is true, Saints made a wise choice. I liked Bell but he wasnt without his faults. Hes an in box safety and cant pay a average coverage safety more than 8 mil per and thats for the best of the in box guys. With CGJ in the wings and with deals coming due for Lattimore, Ramczyk and Williams that gonna be huge... Had to let Bell walk, especially with a seasoned vet like Jenkins willing to come at his price. 

 

Intrested to see what Bell lands contract wise... Like Vaccaro before him i think hes overestimated his value and now with the Saints not a bidding team his leverage takes a hit. He might end up with a deal less than what Saints offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Report out that Bell turned down 7.5 per year from Saints right before team went with Jenkins. If this is true, Saints made a wise choice. I liked Bell but he wasnt without his faults. Hes an in box safety and cant pay a average coverage safety more than 8 mil per and thats for the best of the in box guys. With CGJ in the wings and with deals coming due for Lattimore, Ramczyk and Williams that gonna be huge... Had to let Bell walk, especially with a seasoned vet like Jenkins willing to come at his price. 

 

Intrested to see what Bell lands contract wise... Like Vaccaro before him i think hes overestimated his value and now with the Saints not a bidding team his leverage takes a hit. He might end up with a deal less than what Saints offered.

I guess he didn't learn from Ingram smh. Also theres some rumors that the Saints and Rams are talking Cooks for a 4th. Not sure I want him back, as good as he is, his brain is probably scrambled eggs by now with how many concussions hes had. Its sad, but he's got a large cap number 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

I guess he didn't learn from Ingram smh. Also theres some rumors that the Saints and Rams are talking Cooks for a 4th. Not sure I want him back, as good as he is, his brain is probably scrambled eggs by now with how many concussions hes had. Its sad, but he's got a large cap number 

Would it be a large cap number if we aren't paying any guaranteed money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Raves said:

Would it be a large cap number if we aren't paying any guaranteed money?

Id take cooks back... Hes a great fit as long as he understands his role. Also, boys... This just me but im convinced that were targeting one of the top 2 off ball linebackers in this draft at 24. Either Queen or Murray. If they gone i think the next target would be either slot corner or left guard. With the receiver group as deep as it is i think we target that rounds 3-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raves said:

Would it be a large cap number if we aren't paying any guaranteed money?

his roster bonuses would be paid by us, they’re guaranteed. I think it’s the signing bonus we wouldn’t have to pay and that’s only $1.4m per year 


We’d still be on the hook for about $15-16m per year unless the rams reworked his contract to pay his roster bonuses, which would bring him down to $12-13m per year 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Id take cooks back... Hes a great fit as long as he understands his role. Also, boys... This just me but im convinced that were targeting one of the top 2 off ball linebackers in this draft at 24. Either Queen or Murray. If they gone i think the next target would be either slot corner or left guard. With the receiver group as deep as it is i think we target that rounds 3-4.

Yeah seems about right. Some other realistic options at 24 could be:

WR: Ruggs, Jefferson, Ayiuk

LB: Queen, Murray

OG/OC: Ruiz, Muti

CB: Fulton, Henderson, Diggs, Terrell

 

Would be still a bit surprised if we go OL in the first. I think they would be ok with Easton as the starter and give some mid round guys a shot to compete with him. Give me a Corner or LB in the first and I am really happy. Give me Stenberg, Simpson or Bredeson in the 3rd and I think they have a serious shot at beeing our starting LG day one. Really like Stenberg and Simpson, especially Simpson could really lern from Warford and become a very good interior lineman

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Id take cooks back... Hes a great fit as long as he understands his role. Also, boys... This just me but im convinced that were targeting one of the top 2 off ball linebackers in this draft at 24. Either Queen or Murray. If they gone i think the next target would be either slot corner or left guard. With the receiver group as deep as it is i think we target that rounds 3-4.

No I agree, I said the same before. I know Payton doesn't like taking LBers in the 1st round (apart from Anthony), but with such a gaping hole in the LBers, it makes sense to take one in the 1st round. Especially if what draft heads are saying about the WR draft (50 guys in the draft that would go in the top 3 rounds in a normal draft).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although we’ve never done it during the Payton era, this seems like a good year to trade back if Queen/Murray/Jefferson aren’t available at 24. You can still get a starting WR in the early second and there won’t be any CBs worth the 24th pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orleanz said:

Although we’ve never done it during the Payton era, this seems like a good year to trade back if Queen/Murray/Jefferson aren’t available at 24. You can still get a starting WR in the early second and there won’t be any CBs worth the 24th pick. 

Your exactly right but dosent it seem more Payton like to trade the 24th pick and our 2021 2nd rounder to move up for CJ Henderson. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Your exactly right but dosent it seem more Payton like to trade the 24th pick and our 2021 2nd rounder to move up for CJ Henderson. Lol

Not for a Corner.  Our trade ups in the first have been DE Marcus Davenport and RB Mark Ingram right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Raves said:

Not for a Corner.  Our trade ups in the first have been DE Marcus Davenport and RB Mark Ingram right?

True but they value corners in the first... Lattimore, P-Rob, Jenkins (was a corner at the time). The drop off after CJ in this 1st round is steep IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×