2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers

patriotsheatyan

2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers  

39 members have voted

1. 1. 2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers

• 2018 Rams
    • 2019 49ers

If the teams are at full health, then I'm leaning slightly towards the Rams.  Kupp was a big loss for them in 2018, as well as a regressing Gurley near the end.  If both of those guys were at 100%, then I don't think the Rams offense falls off like it did.

Close game either way though.  

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

If the teams are at full health, then I'm leaning slightly towards the Rams.  Kupp was a big loss for them in 2018, as well as a regressing Gurley near the end.  If both of those guys were at 100%, then I don't think the Rams offense falls off like it did.

Close game either way though.  

I'd make the contention that Rodger Saffold, a yet-to-regress-below-the-mean Rob Havenstein, and CJ Anderson to 1-2 with a reasonably healthy Gurley (I'd be quite willing to concede that "full health" isn't going to miraculously repair Gurley's knees to like new, but rather just take some of the mileage off) - along with Kupp - make a bigger difference than shaving some of the wear off Gurley.

A lot would really come down to our ability to penetrate in pass-rush against a healthy Niners OL because our 2018 team struggled to cover the TE and current Kittle would eat that team alive with Jimmy under center.

Full health has to be the Rams. Gurley was playing like an MVP, Goff was playing like an MVP too when Kupp was on the field. Donald was the DPOY with 20+ sacks and if we got playoff Suh when he was a force in helping  shutdown Zeke, shutdown Kamara/Ingram, and for most of the game shutdown the Patriots running game, yes the Rams would beat the Niners and Im saying by double digit points. 

4 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

Defensively the Rams of last year were equally as good as the 49ers this year. 

Definitely not. 

That Rams team had 3 more turnovers and were beat everywhere else. Passing yards, rushing yards, YPA, YPC, points, DVOA, first downs, sacks...the Rams were nowhere near this year’s Niners.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Definitely not. 

That Rams team had 3 more turnovers and were beat everywhere else. Passing yards, rushing yards, YPA, YPC, points, DVOA, first downs, sacks, penalties...the Rams were nowhere near this year’s Niners.

The difference between the defenses is closer than the differences in offenses.

Enough so, that I would still take the Rams of last year.

8 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

The difference between the defenses is closer than the differences in offenses.

Enough so, that I would still take the Rams of last year.

You said the defenses were equally good, though...and that still isn’t even true. 

Defensive DVOA: Niners, 2nd. Rams, 18th.

Offensive DVOA: Niners, 7th. Rams 2nd. 

Offensive yards: Niners, 6097. Rams, 6738.

Defensive yards: Niners 4509, 5737.

PPG for: Niners, 479. Rams, 527. 

PPG allowed: Niners, 310. Rams, 384. 

So yeah, the Niners defense was significantly better than the Rams defense. And the gap between them was bigger than the offensive gap. 

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You said the defenses were equally good, though...and that still isn’t even true. 

Defensive DVOA: Niners, 2nd. Rams, 18th.

Offensive DVOA: Niners, 7th. Rams 2nd. 

Offensive yards: Niners, 6097. Rams, 6738.

Defensive yards: Niners 4509, 5737.

PPG for: Niners, 479. Rams, 527. 

PPG allowed: Niners, 310. Rams, 384. 

So yeah, the Niners defense was significantly better than the Rams defense. And the gap between them was bigger than the offensive gap. 

I agree with this but the Rams defense turned it on in the playoffs. They underachieved severely in the regular season for no reason other than Talib was hurt.