2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers

patriotsheatyan

2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers  

39 members have voted

1. 1. 2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers

• 2018 Rams
    • 2019 49ers

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You said the defenses were equally good, though...and that still isn’t even true. 

Defensive DVOA: Niners, 2nd. Rams, 18th.

Offensive DVOA: Niners, 7th. Rams 2nd. 

Offensive yards: Niners, 6097. Rams, 6738.

Defensive yards: Niners 4509, 5737.

PPG for: Niners, 479. Rams, 527. 

PPG allowed: Niners, 310. Rams, 384. 

So yeah, the Niners defense was significantly better than the Rams defense. And the gap between them was bigger than the offensive gap. 

Eh, I feel like 2018 Rams would beat the 2019 49ers, still. You can put a numbered DVOA ranking on offensive and defensive performances all you want, but the 2018 Rams were legitimately torching everyone. That gap between 2nd last year and 7th this year was a pretty wide gap (which you can see if you're citing football outsider.)

Edit: The defense stepped up in the post-season too, for what it's worth. Everyone hated that superbowl that I know IRL, but I loved it.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I agree with this but the Rams defense turned it on in the playoffs. They underachieved severely in the regular season for no reason other than Talib was hurt.

They did, but then I think it should be mentioned that the season totals include most games with a non-cripple Gurley and Cooper Kupp. Weren’t available for the playoff run.

9 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

Eh, I feel like 2018 Rams would beat the 2019 49ers, still. You can put a numbered DVOA ranking on offensive and defensive performances all you want, but the 2018 Rams were legitimately torching everyone. That gap between 2nd last year and 7th this year was a pretty wide gap (which you can see if you're citing football outsider.)

Edit: The defense stepped up in the post-season too, for what it's worth. Everyone hated that superbowl that I know IRL, but I loved it.

They were torching everyone but the Niners had a bigger +/- (169 vs 143). It’s not just DVOA. And the Rams’ 2018 DVOA would rank good for 16th this year. The Niners’ 2019 DVOA would still be second if it were in 2018.

You can think the Rams would win if you’d like because it would be a good game. But the defenses aren’t equal and the gaps between the offenses doesn’t exceed the gaps in the defenses. 

And if we’re going by playoffs, then Gurley and Kupp are out. 

6 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

Defensively the Rams of last year were equally as good as the 49ers this year. 

Offensively the Rams of last year were considerably better than the 49ers this year.

Have to give it to the 2018 Rams IMO.

We held the Chiefs to 10 pts up until that choke job yall gave up a 50+burger so no

1 hour ago, Elky said:

San Fran, quite easily actually.

49ers needed a blown coverage to beat a worse Rams team at home this year. McVay has Saleh's number. Football isn't played on paper. With a vastly superior OL in 2018, it would have been a shootout. The question is if Wade would have had a good enough gameplan to slow down SF. If not, it would come down to turnovers and lucky bounces.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dub_City30 said:

We held the Chiefs to 10 pts up until that choke job yall gave up a 50+burger so no

You do realize when the Chiefs played the Rams last season they had Hunt? The Chiefs offense imo was never the same when Hunt got in trouble and was cut. Not saying they arent great but with Hunt adding to Kelce and Hill that offense was on another level. 

What Rams teams are we talking about?  Is it the Rams team that had MVP caliber Todd Gurley towards the beginning/middle of the season, or are we talking about the Superbowl version of the Rams when Gurley was clearly having problems?

If it's healthy Gurley, I'm going with the Rams pretty easily.  The Niners are a really good team, but the Rams are just better.  The Rams defense was really good and their QB play is vastly superior.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

You do realize when the Chiefs played the Rams last season they had Hunt? The Chiefs offense imo was never the same when Hunt got in trouble and was cut. Not saying they arent great but with Hunt adding to Kelce and Hill that offense was on another level. 

Their offense was better this year