2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers

patriotsheatyan

2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers  

39 members have voted

1. 1. 2018 Rams vs 2019 49ers

• 2018 Rams
    • 2019 49ers

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

2019 49ers pretty easily... and I always preach against recency bias. 

I'm guessing you believe the 49ers would win a shootout? Because that defense would not have stopped the 2018 Rams. Saleh runs Pete Carroll's scheme. There's a reason why McVay has been more effective against Carroll's defenses than just about anybody else. The scheme is built on execution instead of fooling the opposition. The problem with the scheme is that it's designed to take away the deep ball and smother short routes. It is very vulnerable to intermediate passing attacks. How it compensates is by relying on getting pressure to force passes out before intermediate routes can develop.

The reason McVay has been so effective against Saleh, Carroll, and the others is because his scheme is incredibly effective at attacking the intermediate part of the field. And in 2018, our OL could actually block. Hell, McVay adjusted in the second game in 2019 to compensate for some of the issues with our protection and absolutely shredded San Francisco's vaunted defense with a much less talented team.

Football games aren't played on paper. People really need to consider how schemes interact. What would concern me in this matchup is whether Wade's defense could slow SF's running game. It would depend on the effort level of Suh.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Rams beat KC. Sf didn’t! 

but it doesn’t matter though. They both loss and it sucked lol. 

The Rams offense kinda took a nose dive late in the year and hasn't recovered even still really. If we were talking about the Rams in the middle of the season, then yeah definitely possible the Rams come away with the win, but given that we're comparing super bowl losing teams, then I think it's more accurate to compare based off of were they were as playoff teams.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

49ers needed a blown coverage to beat a worse Rams team at home this year. McVay has Saleh's number. Football isn't played on paper. With a vastly superior OL in 2018, it would have been a shootout. The question is if Wade would have had a good enough gameplan to slow down SF. If not, it would come down to turnovers and lucky bounces.

Saleh also put the clamps on McVay on the road this year earlier in the season so...

4 hours ago, Danger said:

The Rams offense kinda took a nose dive late in the year and hasn't recovered even still really. If we were talking about the Rams in the middle of the season, then yeah definitely possible the Rams come away with the win, but given that we're comparing super bowl losing teams, then I think it's more accurate to compare based off of were they were as playoff teams.

You’re 100 right. Either way it doesn’t matter. Both teams came up short! At least to me. 

35 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Rams and it isnt even close.

Just trying to balance out all the "49ers and it isnt even close" post.

If we're talking about the playoff Rams, then it wouldn't be close. That team at that point was lucky, not good.

This thread was just asking for trouble given the timing lol

My choice is obvious, but a 2019 9-7 Rams team played SF down to the wire this season in their second meeting and that's with all of our shortcomings. I would imagine the 2018 team would beat them handidly. Jimmy G playing from behind wouldn't be good as we've seen just recently. And for more comparison, the 2018 Rams team beat the 2018 Chiefs team while both were playing their best. Only difference would be Frank Clark subbed for Justin Houston and Tyrann Mathieu.

To be fair, the NFC West in general just beats the hell out of each other regardless of overall record. Just common place these past 8 years or so. 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Saleh also put the clamps on McVay on the road this year earlier in the season so...

The one time in five games against our starters that he has. And that was during the period where we had a ton of injuries and issues with the OL. That didn't occur in 2018. With better protection and some adjustments, McVay shredded that defense later in the year. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

If we're talking about the playoff Rams, then it wouldn't be close. That team at that point was lucky, not good.

They dominated the Cowboys and then beat a great Saints team in New Orleans. Yes, they caught a break against NO, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a tie game late in the 4th. A bit hard to claim they weren't good. But yes, the offense was better earlier in the year.

I think absolute peak - the Rams take it. That entire offense was off the charts and the defense wasnt bad. But if we are talking about the "average over the season" Rams/9ers - probably 9ers. 

The real question is - how many points would those two teams lose by to the 2020 Cardinals. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They dominated the Cowboys and then beat a great Saints team in New Orleans. Yes, they caught a break against NO, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a tie game late in the 4th. A bit hard to claim they weren't good. But yes, the offense was better earlier in the year.

Gotta give you guys props - but our entire team outside of Dak play utterly terrible. That was arguably the worst game of the season from our defense, OL and Zeke all season. 

You guys did that too us. But I think we also imploded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I think absolute peak - the Rams take it. That entire offense was off the charts and the defense wasnt bad. But if we are talking about the "average over the season" Rams/9ers - probably 9ers. 

The real question is - how many points would those two teams lose by to the 2020 Cardinals. 

Well, I don't think either team is good at baseball, so I think the Cardinals would likely destroy them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The one time in five games against our starters that he has. And that was during the period where we had a ton of injuries and issues with the OL. That didn't occur in 2018. With better protection and some adjustments, McVay shredded that defense later in the year. 

49ers were dealing with defensive injuries the second game too. No Tartt, no Alexander, no Ford. DL depth completely diminished.